Bar end stuck | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bar end stuck

ripcurl

Site Supporter
I'm trying to remove the bar end from my 2002 SV650S but the sucker won't budge. The clip on is held in with a screw (the clip on isn't hollow like most clip ons) and I'm not sure how get it out...

I have a 2000 SV650. Are you turning the bolt thats in the middle of the bar end?

I think they always put those bar end screws in with lock-tite at the factory. Try a socket wrench with a screwdriver bit to give yourself some extra leverage.

I know nothing about the SV650, but on the Ninja 250, they put red Loctite on that screw, so to get it off, you have to use a butane/propane torch to heat the screw up and melt the red Loctite. After a minute or so, it should be easy enough to unscrew.

My ninja 500 had the same problem. Use heat and also use a ratchet with extention and a screwdriver bit set in it. Just be careful, these bolts burr easily.

I think the previous owner tried to remove the bolt at some point because its pretty badly burred. I'll attempt to try the ratchet and screw bit. If I heat the barend/screw, will I do any damage to the throttle housing or grips? Would a jet lighter work or should I use a propane torch?

i have the same bike and had the same problem. trying to get it out i just stripped the bolt.

solution is to get a big drill bit, maybe half inch then drill it out. just take off the top part, once thats off the long part will screw right out. then go to riders choice or some other bike store that sells suzuki and get new bolts.

Do you mean drill in until the head of the bolt pops off, remove the bar end and unscrew the rest of the bolt (with I assume a pair of vise grips)?

i have the same bike and had the same problem. trying to get it out i just stripped the bolt.

solution is to get a big drill bit, maybe half inch then drill it out. just take off the top part, once thats off the long part will screw right out. then go to riders choice or some other bike store that sells suzuki and get new bolts.

Do you mean drill in until the head of the bolt pops off, remove the bar end and unscrew the rest of the bolt (with I assume a pair of vise grips)?

I think he is suggesting to drill the head out...

allen-head-bolt.jpg

I would first try heat + extractor bit...though...

I think he is suggesting to drill the head out...

I would first try heat + extractor bit...though...

thats right, when i did i did not scratch the paint or anyting, came off very easily. i did not have a heat gun or an extractor kit.

thats right, when i did i did not scratch the paint or anyting, came off very easily. i did not have a heat gun or an extractor kit.

Success! I drilled the head off, pulled the barend off, and used vise grips to get it off! Thanks guys!!!

I still think heating would've been the smarter choice, but congrats!

Tried heating it but the bolt was already badly burred by the previous owner. I have replacement bar end mirrors anyways with new bolts.

Back
Top Bottom