Bar End Removal | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bar End Removal

architect

Site Supporter
How do I remove a bar end that has no screw in it? Looking to replace the grip. Thanks.

IMG_20130528_161856_zpscfd6b019.jpg

No clue if there all the same, I've only one the one's on a ninja 250r, Lighter or heat gun & pliers.. melts the bonding agent inside (Locktight) and then your able to pull/twist them off.

The stock bar ends are actually a bit soft material (not sure why). Heat gun would just melt it a bit I think?

if you don't mind ruining them, you can try a pair of vice grips, clamp onto the bar end and turn counter clock wise if they are screwed into the bar they will come off

or

if you can see the other end of the bar and it's open, there might be a nut deep down in the bar, put a socket on it and loosen up the nut, this will relieve the pressure of the rubber stop and the bar end will then come out as well

it all really depends on how it's held in place

according to the parts fiche it appears to be screwed in

263_handlebarcable.gif

There is a screw for the LEFT bar. Not the right one. Which is the weird part.

I'd like to keep the bar ends as best condition as possible, even though I dont mind getting some after marketing ones. I'm already looking at new levers but no one makes them so I'm looking to replace the perch and MC right now with R6s.

Last edited:
According to the diagram above, try removing the bolts by the forks for the right clipon. Then remove the throttle cables and then remove clipon?

You mean remove bolt 3, 4 and 5 to get the bar end out? In the diagram it looks like the bar end and handle is ONE piece whereas the left one the bar end is screwed on?

new levers don't work with old bikes....LOL

I searched high and low......unless you do as you are and replace it all

Yeah, same. I even emailed a bunch of Ebay stores to see if they had some not listed. No dice. I really don't want to replace the perch and MC just for the levers though as I want the bike to be stock as much as possible. But my tiny weak hands want shorty race levers :/

You mean remove bolt 3, 4 and 5 to get the bar end out? In the diagram it looks like the bar end and handle is ONE piece whereas the left one the bar end is screwed on?

both should come off the same way...

it's just that they don't show the other side as off of the bar, but screwed into the bar, no need to remove bolts 3,4,5

both should come off the same way...

it's just that they don't show the other side as off of the bar, but screwed into the bar, no need to remove bolts 3,4,5

There is a screw in the bar end on the LEFT side. But, as you can see in the picture on, the right end has no screw.

The microfich would list all parts, no? It points to number 6 as left bar, 7 as bar end, and right bar + end as entire unit 8?

could be one is not original, my bet is the one with the screw in it....

do they look the same, other than the screw in the end ?

Good call. You're right. Upon closer inspection the right one (without screw) is a slightly rubbery different material. The left bar end with the screw is solid metal. But, both look pretty identical.

so loosen the screw on the one and it should come off fairly easy....

the other you will have to unscrew it out of the bar end

you will probably not worry too much about damaging them as you will want 2 new ones to have them the same.... :)

Thank you, good sir!

So left bar end comes off but right one won't. Seems like the right one is attached to bar as per diagram. I'd have to remove throttle tube :/

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

that would be a first, that I have seen it that way....I still believe it should come off, the bar end, and no need to remove the entire bar, seems the bar is screwed in to the housing, perhaps it needs to be unscrewed but that would cause issues for the throttle....

hmmm

this would be something to see.....

Back
Top Bottom