Balancing Act | GTAMotorcycle.com

Balancing Act

BoneThug

Hi All,

I in a great position where I can create assemble a new fleet of vehicles for my needs. I am hoping to get assistance and just generally talk about how to create the perfect balance. I plan to have three vehicles.

Vehicle number one: 2019/2020 Mazda CX-9 Signature. I don't need 3 rows but will be having a kid soon and my wife thinks that it is impossible to procreate without having an SUV. From what I understand this is one of the few that actually has some feel coming through the steering wheel. Test drove it and it is adequate. Signature interior is pretty good too. My only needs are that it needs to be have said feel, have enough storage to let my haul stuff and be comfortable. It doesn't need to be fast, ride on rails, be the last word in luxury, or have fancy badge. It primary will exist to be an all weather daily driver that will see it's fill of baby toys, vomit, and groceries.

Pro: good low end torque, great interior, decent milage, best looks in it's segment and top 5 in segments above, and it should be reliable.
Cons: low HP, really long, FWD bias, poor AWD system, hauling space is low by comparison to others in the segment but should be fine for my needs.
469aa3b9bc828aee97444f3cb496c38e.jpg

2019-Mazda-CX-9-Azami-LE-interior.jpg
Vehicles 2 and 3 are where it gets tricky.

Vehicle 2: 2009-11 RX-8 GT or R3. I am looking for a sporty vehicle that can, when necessary, transport my child. The kid will normally be in the CX-9 but on occasion I may need to be able to transport him/her. I'm looking for something with a 6 speed manual, great handling, moderately comfortable and modern (as in OBD II), with decent looks without being too expensive. Not looking for a coupe or any boring looking four door sedan. I won't lie. The RX8 is not my first choice, but after looking into things, it feels like the only one. I test drove a 335i and found the steering to be lifeless. An S7 is more of the same. CLS is too luxury oriented. A Panamera is overkill, especially in size. All the German options would be maintenance nightmares, at least at the price level I could afford. Its laughable but I even considered a Rapide but I think the RX8 has a more spacious back seat. I don't really care about out right speed, due to vehicle 3, but I can't think of another vehicle that can mach the handling and the fun factor of the RX-8. Milage is negligible in every option I can think of. Any would be maintenance intensive and when comparing, I feel like the RX8, even with all its foibles, would be cheapest. With the RX-8, you know what the problems are and can just stay on top of them....I hope?

Pros: handling, space for kid, great shifter, 9000 RPM, modern enough
Cons: Poor MPG, looks in any bright color, hard to find late model versions, engine could possibly blow up. But probably won't. But could :|.
20190525_160508_hdr_02e7fe4523758954cbbd6d477b12783c4f3777bc.jpg

e79ba067_5ea2_4b3b_867d_b7f0eec8a797_80e4d31d9112fcbe861e48be6999f944714f5e33.jpeg
img_0579_6fc23ca634d06e9b29e1b55d1cf4b3c85957321a.jpg
Vehicle 3: Either a 2018-2020 Honda CB1000R, a 2012-2014 Ducati Multistrada, or a 2017-2000 Ducati Supersport. I am looking for a comfortable but sporty motorcycle for a bit of around town and spirited canyon carving. I worry that having a bike that is too similar to the RX8 would end with one of them being sold, and I'm not sure the RX could compete with a good bike. My wife wants to ride with me occasionally, probably to ensure I'm not off visiting some second family when I saw I am out riding, and that lead me to the Multistrada. Newer versions look pretty ugly and apparently have lost a bit of steering feel, and older ones have more reliabilty options, making these years the sweet spot. Supposed to handle beautifully and be decent two up. The CB1000r is gorgeous to my eyes and with a front cowl would be perfect. Not the best for the canyons but I think I could make it work. Handles great and makes good power. No toys really, but its better without them. The Supersport is a happy medium. The two Duc's have low end torque and peter out up top while the CB is weaker down low and makes more power up top. I'll never use any of them to their full capabilities on public road's and would rarely track them if ever.

CB1000R Pros: Light, reliable, comfortable, looks.
CB1000R Cons: high reving like the RX8, maybe a bit boring (comparatively), no wind protection (front fairing can be bought)
106400763_1367682216755115_335336947812073266_o.jpg

Multistrada Pros: Great protection, premium, adjustable suspension, all day comfort, great handling for it's size. Engine is a good counter to the RX8.
Multistrada Cons: Heavy, less agile than others, high maintenance, will be harder to find parts due to age, will have low resale when I sell.
103032029_1345586598964677_7188613396097785656_o.jpg
USQQVW3QIBJ4LMCESVFHVM65B4.jpg

Supersport Pros: Light, decent wind protection, quick shifter, ohlins suspension, reasonably comfortable, decent looks.
Supersport Cons: Slowest (though its fast enough), LED's look stupid, reliability, good at many things, master of none.

22384130_514092708962290_1639034985019806879_o.jpg

118154948_1410822269107776_6078823452201092758_o.jpg

So yeah, that's me. I'm trying to go with a comfortable daily driver (wife's car), comfortable/sporty occasional car for me (all seasons), and a sporty bike for more aggressive days (spring to fall). Thoughts? If I got the RX-8 would it compete too much with the CB1000R since they make power in similar ways? I'd hate to build up my fleet here only to find I use some vehicles more than others. Are these bikes to generalist? Would something more specific make it a better balance? All I really wanted to do is carve up canyons in relative comfort. I would love to hear your opinions and thoughts on what would be the perfect balancing act and other options that may balance things out even more.

Thanks for reading.

I say RX-8 & Multistrada.

Not a fan of the looks on that Honda and not sure the wife will enjoy riding pillion on that.

I know nothing about cars, as for the bikes, Its a toss up between the multi and the supersport (sorry honda)
The multis are amazing, but I wonder how many super long days in the saddle will you be putting in to make use of the multis touring capability etc?
Not that practicality matters when it comes to motorcycles, you can still have fun around town and shorter trips on a multi

supersport is great too

Questions that will determine the answers for you:
How often will your wife ride pillion with you?
How big is your wife?
Have you checked insurance? The multi isnt exactly cheap to insure.
Are you familiar with duc maintenance schedules? (valves and belts)

Both the ducatis will have lots of stomp, and wont run out of steam anywhere

Buy the KLR, oh it's not on the list. Update list.....

CX-9 is a great SUV and although I highly recommend a minivan (we went Odyssey after shopping every large SUV). My SIL has a new CX-9, my other SIL has a new CX-5, and I have a CX-7. We had our first child last year and wife thought she wanted a large SUV like the 9. Took less than 2 weeks and now you couldn't pry the Odyssey away from either of us to trade for any SUV.
RX-8, well you know what you're getting into. It'll eat fuel and oil and yes the motor is a timebomb most likely, but I really like how they look. I almost bought one as a play car as they can be had cheap, but the reliability turned me off. If I'm buying a weekend car, I want it to actually get me back from Niagara-on-the-lake so I'd be looking at a older BMW M4 that although is German it's been proven quite reliable.
If you're doing any 2-up the Multi is the way to go. Supersport 950 is 403lb dry whereas the Multi is 417lb dry. I couldn't find a dry weight number for the CB but it's in the same ballpark. I can tell you the Multi 1200 does not feel heavy in any way while riding. It's also significantly quicker than either of those at 150-160hp depending on which year. Not maintenance intensive either nor is it unreliable. I'd recommend one for sure. If mine got written off, I'd buy another the following day.

If a little one is on the way I'd go a minivan, grand caravan or Kia or if you plan to keep it long term a sienna instead of the cx9, having sliding doors makes a world of difference when putting kids in and taking them out of a vehicle. Rx8 is nice. And bike wise get what tickles your fancy.

For RX-8, do you love rotary engines or you just want it because of its looks? Rotary engines can be a PITA to maintain from what I have heard and not many mechanics do rotary engines. Unfortunately, I do not have first-hand experience of owning/using a rotary engine but I have heard they are notorious for their reliability. Unless you're smitten by those motors, I'd suggest you look into the reliability and maintenance before making the leap. All the best!

For RX-8, do you love rotary engines or you just want it because of its looks? Rotary engines can be a PITA to maintain from what I have heard and not many mechanics do rotary engines. Unfortunately, I do not have first-hand experience of owning/using a rotary engine but I have heard they are notorious for their reliability. Unless you're smitten by those motors, I'd suggest you look into the reliability and maintenance before making the leap. All the best!

Rotaries were crazy popular in Australia, I've had mates with all sorts of rotaries from RX2 all the way upto RX8s. The engines are actually quite reliable.... untill you start looking for more hp. If you keep it stock you shouldn't have an issue. That being said, driving a 1200hp 20b rx7 is a thrill.

I know nothing about cars, as for the bikes, Its a toss up between the multi and the supersport (sorry honda)
The multis are amazing, but I wonder how many super long days in the saddle will you be putting in to make use of the multis touring capability etc?
Not that practicality matters when it comes to motorcycles, you can still have fun around town and shorter trips on a multi

supersport is great too

Questions that will determine the answers for you:
How often will your wife ride pillion with you?
How big is your wife?
Have you checked insurance? The multi isnt exactly cheap to insure.
Are you familiar with duc maintenance schedules? (valves and belts)

Both the ducatis will have lots of stomp, and wont run out of steam anywhere

My current riding doesn't include crazy long trips but I would definitely do longer rides if my back and shoulders (I'm post accident) can take it.
Wife would be riding rarely I hope. She's petite.

Haven't checked the insurance on the Multi. In BC where I am, moto insurance is calculated strictly by displacement. It could be a Hayabusa, Multistrada, Goldwing, or Fat Boy. If its over one litre, they are all the same. Yes it's a stupid system.

I'm familiar with the extra maintenance needed for Duc's. It doesn't seem that bad if you stay on top of it. And the more modern they become the longer those service intervals seem to stretch. They've been working hard to improve their reputation.

CX-9 is a great SUV and although I highly recommend a minivan (we went Odyssey after shopping every large SUV). My SIL has a new CX-9, my other SIL has a new CX-5, and I have a CX-7. We had our first child last year and wife thought she wanted a large SUV like the 9. Took less than 2 weeks and now you couldn't pry the Odyssey away from either of us to trade for any SUV.
RX-8, well you know what you're getting into. It'll eat fuel and oil and yes the motor is a timebomb most likely, but I really like how they look. I almost bought one as a play car as they can be had cheap, but the reliability turned me off. If I'm buying a weekend car, I want it to actually get me back from Niagara-on-the-lake so I'd be looking at a older BMW M4 that although is German it's been proven quite reliable.
If you're doing any 2-up the Multi is the way to go. Supersport 950 is 403lb dry whereas the Multi is 417lb dry. I couldn't find a dry weight number for the CB but it's in the same ballpark. I can tell you the Multi 1200 does not feel heavy in any way while riding. It's also significantly quicker than either of those at 150-160hp depending on which year. Not maintenance intensive either nor is it unreliable. I'd recommend one for sure. If mine got written off, I'd buy another the following day.
I agree 110% that the mini van would be more practical and usable in every sense. I'm just not there yet mentally. Possibly in the future.

I want the Rx-8 solely for the handling and the ability to carry a rear facing child seat with easy access. The rotary makes it a bit exotic and adds some cool factor. If there's another option that can get me into a light weight, fun sports car, with a great 6 speed and delicious handling, all with a dash of practicality, I'm definitely all ears. The series II (2009-2011) version seems to have most of the kinks worked out and are much more reliable than the series I (2004-2008), however because of their poor reputation, they didn't sell well and are hard to find on the used market.

I think the multi is 530lbs wet while the supersport and the CB are both 46X'ish wet. I've only sat on a multi in a dealership. Will need to find an older one to take on a test ride.

Neither. It's purely for the handling and the easy to access rear seat that can accommodate a rear facing child seat. I've thought about it so much and really, most sports cars get bad milage and all will need maintaence. The RX8 needs a lot but its really simple things. Adding some oil every 1000kms? Easy enough. Making sure not to turn it off cold? I feel like I could buy an alarm with a turbo timer and that will be that. Bad cats? Exhaust is one of the only good mods for the car. May be my famous last words but I think i'll be alright. Probably. Possibly anyway.

Wait for Mazda to refresh the CX series :p.

My balancing act

CX5
^ Similar story. Wifey hated minivans and absolutely refused to own one so this was the compromise.
^ I really really really have a love-hate relationship with this thing. I wish the storage was bigger and it had a 6 banger but everything else is awesome and it can tow the motorcycle no problemo

GLI
^ 6 speed manual, FWD but has a slip differential => great handling, moderately comfortable, modern and they depreciate a ton

Z900
^ fun daily driver motorcycle

CBR600F4i
^ Going to my friend

:]

Once a baby or two are born, there will be no more CUVs or SUVs for us. I'm putting my foot down and getting a minivan

Wait for Mazda to refresh the CX series :p.

My balancing act

CX5
^ Similar story. Wifey hated minivans and absolutely refused to own one so this was the compromise.
^ I really really really have a love-hate relationship with this thing. I wish the storage was bigger and it had a 6 banger but everything else is awesome and it can tow the motorcycle no problemo

GLI
^ 6 speed manual, FWD but has a slip differential => great handling, moderately comfortable, modern and they depreciate a ton

Z900
^ fun daily driver motorcycle

CBR600F4i
^ Going to my friend

:]

Once a baby or two are born, there will be no more CUVs or SUVs for us. I'm putting my foot down and getting a minivan
The GLI went under my radar but seems like a great compromise. My F4i was my first 600. Great bike. Looks like a good fleet for you too.

I have a cx5 signature. It’s imho the best in class. No 3rd row, but buy cars for what you need 99% of the time.

for sport I have a CTXv. It will kick the shi+ out of everything in its class and go 250000 km with oil and filter changes.

The bike depends on you riding needs and capability. If you have to ask I’m guessing you’re a noob, the Killer (KLR) is a good start.

Back
Top Bottom