Back in the saddle after ~10 years - mature enough for a 600 this time around? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Back in the saddle after ~10 years - mature enough for a 600 this time around?

The thing about 30 is.. your not 20 anymore. Something comfy-ish for the street that doesn't have the insurance premium and take the SS to the track where you can really have fun on it. Best of both.

That has 25% less hp than the bikes the OP is dreaming of. Of course he can buy whatever bike, but going to a 110 hp bike a decade after last riding a 60 hp bike just increases the odds of bad things happening (and damn is insurance going to be expensive).

I think Gen two Cats make 100 horsepower. Mine came with a throttle and probably hasn't made 70 horses since I bought it. I bet the OP could do that as well.
It's what's between your ears that counts.

lol
31 is now old?
need to be careful?

friend of mine is in his early 60's
has a Multistrada for hanging with us youngsters on bike trips
gets bored sometimes, and waves....gone.... we see him in the next town
as he's on his second coffee and ate his breakfast already

has a V4 Panigale for the track
age is a mental thing

like mentioned above this
what's between the ears is what's counts
not an arbitrary age

Was legit surprised when I ran into 60-70 year olds in full leathers riding around in zx14s on the street
I imagine it takes a lot of work just to get into the suits

Was legit surprised when I ran into 60-70 year olds in full leathers riding around in zx14s on the street
Ha! I'm 64 and get compliments on my one piece spandex.

That's the only age group that gets reasonable rates on a litre bike lol.

No.

If you're asking, then there's already a reason you know, that tells you why you shouldn't.

Work that out first.

Learned in 1980 on a Yamaha RZ350 and didn't ride for 39 years. Bought a '14 Suzuki Boulevard M50, 805cc @ 600 lb dry weight last September, took my M2 in October with "Learning Curves" (great Instructors, highly recommend, taking my M2-M with them next Summer) and am having the time of my life! Welcome back to riding mrspeaker!

Op,

Do what is right for you. Follow your passion and listen to words of caution to serve you well when riding.

600 SS are powerful machines. And they are not for everyone.

Used models are for sale for several reasons.

They are expense to insure, relatively boring to ride on the street, relatively uncomfortable to ride on the street. And some realize they won’t have a license for too long if they keep riding.

Of course there are plenty of others that simply want something different or, want the latest and greatest or, starting a family or what ever. It’s not all doom and gloom.

If you have the financial means and free time to do it, go for it.

There are plenty of reasons to be cautious. Only you can say if you’ll be responsible enough to ride it and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I did something similar about 12 years ago. Got back into bikes after a l o n g absence. I ended up buying a Kawi ZX-6R 2006 so a 636 cc SS bike. I was a little scared as to whether I could handle it because of the advancement of technology since I had last ridden a bike. That lasted maybe 5 minutes after I picked the bike up. Was probable the best move I could have made. I enjoyed riding that bike for a few years after that. Wish I still had it actually. It was a fun little bike!

Why do you want a 600 SS? Is it because you like how they look/sound? Or just that it's a SS? If that's the reason, then go for it; there's no shame in that! Just realize that a 600 SS a pretty terrible street bike in most aspects; the video on the first page illustrates perfectly why. A motorcycle in Canada is for the most part a toy/luxury. Its sole purpose is to put a smile on your face.

As far as if you're mature enough for a 600, that's a question only you can answer. It's a machine, not an animal. It acts based on rider input; you tell it to go, it goes. That being said, they are quite docile at low RPM and I find gsxr's to be one of the more comfortable SS's. Another bike I'd recommend you check out is the 2014 era zx6r.

Why do you want a 600 SS? Is it because you like how they look/sound? Or just that it's a SS? If that's the reason, then go for it; there's no shame in that! Just realize that a 600 SS a pretty terrible street bike in most aspects; the video on the first page illustrates perfectly why. A motorcycle in Canada is for the most part a toy/luxury. Its sole purpose is to put a smile on your face.

I fell in love with my 400 when I had it and have always liked Suzuki's offerings. Pity they're the only Japanese manufacturer that hasn't jumped back on the '300-400cc semi-sportbike' market - if they made something like a modern GSX-R400 I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Thanks again for all of your advice guys, I've got some thinking to do but I think I'll probably be fine on an older 600. That is, if we ever see summer again, lol.

I'm sworn off inline 4's, but I'd make an exception for an 88-90 oil cooled GSXR. I miss my 89 RK.

Back
Top Bottom