Average displacement of a Harley Davidson? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Average displacement of a Harley Davidson?

VifferFun

Site Supporter
Would anyone happen to know (or have a good guess) at the average displacement of a Harley Davidson on the road? Do they mostly tend to be in the 1200CC+ range? My knowledge of Harleys is very limited :p

I would guess that the 883 sportster is the most popular model, so average might be around 1000. call HD they would have this info

I think the older engines were primarily 83ci, or 1360 cc's where now I think they are generally about 110? or about 1800cc

883cc and 1200cc are only in sportsters i believe.

but I am not at an expert, but I may have stayed at a Holiday Inn last night :D someone will probably have a better answer

edit: see below, someone with more knowledge than me has provided real information

Last edited:
The engine sizes are as follows: the displacement is 88 cu in (1,449 cc). The Twin Cam 96 displaces 96.7 cu in (1,584 cc). The company released 103 cu in (1,690 cc) for 2012 Softail models and 110 cu in (1,802 cc) for Screamin' Eagle/CVO Models. Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Cam_engine_(Harley-Davidson)

Thanks guys! It sounds like the majority of HD's are probably in excess of 1200CC then? I'm really just looking for a rough guess at the distribution of HD bikes above and below 1200CC on the road in Ontario (eg. 20/80 split? 50/50 split?). I'm not looking for the distribution of bike models offered by HD, but of bikes actually purchased and on the road.

Thanks guys! It sounds like the majority of HD's are probably in excess of 1200CC then? I'm really just looking for a rough guess at the distribution of HD bikes above and below 1200CC on the road in Ontario (eg. 20/80 split? 50/50 split?). I'm not looking for the distribution of bike models offered by HD, but of bikes actually purchased and on the road.
then you want to visit the ministry of transportation for that info

The large-displacement models considerably outnumber the 883's. All other models are 1200cc or more.

The large-displacement models considerably outnumber the 883's. All other models are 1200cc or more.

Thanks Brian P -- that is what I was looking for :)

But how do you know? I would say the opposite... (I'm just guessing, but I guess you are guessing too :D ).

The most popular HD bike on the road in the GTA are the two Sporster models. Maybe they sell a boatload of the bigger bikes, but owners do not ride them as much. The Sportsters are by far the ones you see on a regular basis.

and a lot of those 883's are modified to 1200...which is usually not disclosed to insurance companies.

But how do you know? I would say the opposite... (I'm just guessing, but I guess you are guessing too :D ).

The most popular HD bike on the road in the GTA are the two Sporster models. Maybe they sell a boatload of the bigger bikes, but owners do not ride them as much. The Sportsters are by far the ones you see on a regular basis.

Maybe downtown but in the 905 almost everything is a Road King or some other large displacement type. According to most HD riders, Sportsters are girly, LOL.

But how do you know? I would say the opposite... (I'm just guessing, but I guess you are guessing too :D

You'd be so wrong on that. Obviously you don't read a lot of his posts. In fact, in any thread, I won't bother reading past his last post.

Maybe downtown but in the 905 almost everything is a Road King or some other large displacement type. According to most HD riders, Sportsters are girly, LOL.

heheh I was going to say that, but decided not to :)

The 883 only shows up in the bare-bones Sportster form. I hardly ever see those on the road (and when I do, it's usually accompanied by another, bigger model LOL). You would have to consult H-D to get the official sales figures.

That's a ton of chrome and oil leaks eh?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Back
Top Bottom