Audiobooks

J_F

anyone else into this?

when I started travelling for work I became a follower
I know @MacDoc is a listener

it's interesting in that the narrator can kill, or liven a piece of writing

great on the bike when you don't feel like music
anyone else into this? suggestions?

Absolutely. I listen to them whenever I've got more than 20-30 minutes nonstop driving at work (which given the nature of my job isn't as frequent as if I was a long distance driver) and it passes the time well. When I'm riding long distances on my bike I chew them up, along with podcasts.

I'm mostly a sci fi guy. Peter Clines has some awesome books out narrated by Ray Porter, two of my favourites. Craig Alanson is another top notch narrator - I'm about 6 books deep into the Expeditionary Force series right now although I had to take a break.

R.C. Bray is also another top notch narrator. I could listen to a story about paint drying narrated by this guy and find it interesting.

I read faster than I listen.

But I do listen to autobiographies if they are narrated by the person who wrote it. Last one I listened to was the Heart autobiography, "Kicking and Dreaming".

It was narrated by both Ann and Nancy Wilson, so it was basically like listening to one long interview.

They are two very cool ladies.

Tortilla Curtain
read by the author - which is usually not my preference
one of my first listens and I've been back a few times

PP
check out Bill Bryson
you'd like his stuff

My wife listens to audiobooks from the library when she is driving or running. Now that she drives a lot less, she has trouble getting through one before it expires. Audiobooks are very slow compared to reading.

She thought about audible but holy crap. No wonder they have so much money for advertising. Something like $10/month for up to one book and close to the same amount for each additional book.

I used to have audible. 14.99 or so per month will get you a credit every month.

It's great while working out and I finish a book in little less than a month. I finished the Expanse novel series that way.

If you don't like the book some way through or even after finishing, you can return it.

Reactions: J_F
My wife listens to audiobooks from the library when she is driving or running. Now that she drives a lot less, she has trouble getting through one before it expires. Audiobooks are very slow compared to reading.

She thought about audible but holy crap. No wonder they have so much money for advertising. Something like $10/month for up to one book and close to the same amount for each additional book.

whole bunch of audible stuff is free right now because of the pandemic. Have a look.

Audible is indeed very expensive if you go beyond the 1 credit per month plan...although they do have offers where you can buy a few credits at a time and the cost goes down to $15 a book or so.

To just outright buy books some of them are $30-$40 which is just insane.

Audible is indeed very expensive if you go beyond the 1 credit per month plan...although they do have offers where you can buy a few credits at a time and the cost goes down to $15 a book or so.

To just outright buy books some of them are $30-$40 which is just insane.

I sign up for the free offers, get my 3-4 books then cancel. Rinse and repeat. The books never expire so I have a backlog right now. Red flag deals posted about the free audible thing for the pandemic so look there for details.

Back
Top Bottom