ATTN: TD Rider with the Yamaha jacket at GB, Thursday Sept 27th | GTAMotorcycle.com

ATTN: TD Rider with the Yamaha jacket at GB, Thursday Sept 27th

stormcat

Wearing a blue Yamaha jacket, riding a yellow bike. Novice rider with the rear facing GoPro. The TD at Grand Bend on Thursday, September 27th.

I am DYING to see your GoPro footage where I almost hit you at the end of the straight... TWICE! LOL!

Sorry, but why is almost hitting someone twice funny?

Stormcat, that is a very wide turn (I'm assuming at the end of the back straight), try passing the rider on the inside before the turn and then go a bit wide on the turn so you don't have to almost ram into him/her

Last edited:
It was NOT funny at the time, but since everything worked out ok, I've shrugged it off. From the speed the rider was going in the straight, it was easy to assume they would have taken the carousel at a good clip. I've never squeezed the brakes so hard to keep from rear-ending someone. He braked HARD well past the brake markers. Then the rider hit the brakes in the carousel as well. Hence the second time.

I would have loved to have passed him in the carousel, but in the green group there is no passing in corners. I didn't want to get black flagged. :(

I really do want to see his GoPro footage, though.

EDIT: Why do new track riders go blazing fast on the straights and park it in the corners to hold everyone else up?

Last edited:
EDIT: Why do new track riders go blazing fast on the straights and park it in the corners to hold everyone else up?
Cause at our skill level that's the only place we can go fast! :)

-Jamie M.

It was NOT funny at the time, but since everything worked out ok, I've shrugged it off. From the speed the rider was going in the straight, it was easy to assume they would have taken the carousel at a good clip. I've never squeezed the brakes so hard to keep from rear-ending someone. He braked HARD well past the brake markers. Then the rider hit the brakes in the carousel as well. Hence the second time.

I would have loved to have passed him in the carousel, but in the green group there is no passing in corners. I didn't want to get black flagged. :(

I really do want to see his GoPro footage, though.

This isn't motogp. You're riding at the GREEN level for gods sake!

People go to the track to have a good time, not to get plowed into by another rider.

There's a reason why you're not supposed to pass on corner in the green group.

I've been in the same situation more than once, heck it happened to me in my last race. The guy didn't get taken out and stormcat didn't go down, seems like it worked out fine.

Because green group. If you find people are holding you up in green and you aren't being passed, why not try yellow? You get faster by seeing faster riders. Be prepared to be passed more often than now (if at all).

Give yourself some lateral distance between you and the rider in front... not just forward distance. The 6-feet rule won't disrupt your entry line dramatically. No need to slip-stream/draft at all (and isn't effective unless your practically tire to tire... which I don't recommend either lol)

Last edited:
Around the outside of the carousel is a great safe spot to pass slower riders.

Not everybody starts off with the same experience level doing trackdays. That's why there are different groups. If you find yourself consistently having a hard time getting around slower riders due to the straight line speed, and restrictive passing of the green group, perhaps it's time to tryout the next level. The only way to get faster, and become a better rider is to ride with faster, and better riders. Like the old saying goes, "it's hard to soar like an eagle when surrounded by turkeys".

Because green group. If you find people are holding you up in green and you aren't being passed, why not try yellow? You get faster by seeing faster riders. Be prepared to be passed more often than now (if at all).

Give yourself some lateral distance between you and the rider in front... not just forward distance. The 6-feet rule won't disrupt your entry line dramatically. No need to slip-stream/draft at all (and isn't effective unless your practically tire to tire... which I don't recommend either lol)

I lack the confidence in T1-T2 on that track to move up to yellow. I'd be holding everyone back in those two corners. :(

I'm having a hard time getting past some of these riders in that straight, no matter how much I rail through the gears to stay in the power band, or how closely I haunt them on the entry corner. I know the stock gearing plays a big part into that, but I'm also wondering if the dB Dawg on my bike is causing it to lose power as well?

Back
Top Bottom