ATTN Photographers - Need Camera Recommendations! | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

ATTN Photographers - Need Camera Recommendations!

Actually the ambient light was that nasty orange street lighting. I changed that afterwards

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk
I know, it just makes your life a lot easier and a photo more cohesive if all light sources are similar colour temp even if it is a horrible colour temp. A yellow filter on the flash gets it much closer.

I can't imagine that would be a very long exposure?
My techniques aren't that advanced yet but I'll get there someday and I'll post in this thread. Lol
It's still a long exposure to get the light trails. It's the flash that illuminates the subject that would otherwise be in shadow.

Spend some time with glow sticks, flashlights, sparklers, and you'll find it's not that advanced.

Then Google burning steel wool photography

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk

Here is the write up ....

Pretty happy with the MFT

I have one specialized lens for wildlife - thats at 1/2 KM,
Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at Oct, 1    2020    12.19.31 AM.jpg

MicroFourThirds gives you a huge array of lens choices -

OMD EM1 on sale again. $1399 instead of $1900. Still a hefty chunk of change but I might bite.

*Bump*..

Any good spots near in or around Halton for winter photography? Mainly landscapes or waterfalls. Need to put the ol' 70-200 to good use once in a while.
You want landscapes or waterfalls for the 70-200? It takes beautiful pictures but wouldn't be my choice for those subjects.

Hamilton area has so many waterfalls it's crazy. Access to some is getting more annoying over time (booked visits, closed access points, paid entry, etc) so you could put them all on a map and start crossing off the ones you have visited. A lot of them have the easy access at the top which makes for pretty crap pictures for the most part. Getting to the bottom often requires a hike and in some cases that hike starts from an entirely different location than the view of the top of the falls.

Collecting pictures from and of the ridge of the escarpment will be interesting in 100 years when it is all built up.

You want landscapes or waterfalls for the 70-200? It takes beautiful pictures but wouldn't be my choice for those subjects.

Hamilton area has so many waterfalls it's crazy. Access to some is getting more annoying over time (booked visits, closed access points, paid entry, etc) so you could put them all on a map and start crossing off the ones you have visited. A lot of them have the easy access at the top which makes for pretty crap pictures for the most part. Getting to the bottom often requires a hike and in some cases that hike starts from an entirely different location than the view of the top of the falls.

Collecting pictures from and of the ridge of the escarpment will be interesting in 100 years when it is all built up.
Yes, I meant either landscapes or waterfalls. I normally take out my 11-16, but I have so many captures with a wide angle, this time on I wanted to try out a zoom to obtain a different perspective. The idea is to zoom into a waterfall from a distance, since I figure being winter I may not be able to go up close.

The escarpment idea is good. I may just head out to rattlesnake point.

Edit - Paris, Brant seems to have a few subjects to my liking!

*Bump*..

Any good spots near in or around Halton for winter photography? Mainly landscapes or waterfalls. Need to put the ol' 70-200 to good use once in a while.
Don't you go hang around Belfountain?? Specifically the Conservation area, has all those things, and a neat little bridge. Might be overshot though. Hamilton area is a good suggestion and not far, which you have Dundas Peak, with Webster and Tews falls all in the same area. But again it's well known spot for pictures. I would just venture out to more remote places like farmers fields etc, where the snow might be more untouched. Also search for old mills etc, like Ancaster Mill.

Belfountain
002_belfountain_oct14_2019.jpg

Spencer Gorge
005_spencerGorge_oct20_2019.jpg

Dundas Peak
035_spencerGorge_oct20_2019.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! A number of photographers here. I have also been a hobbyist for like 7 or 8 years. Mostly shoot landscape. Now the cam is lying in some corner lol. The glass you put on the camera matters more than the camera itself (unless you're a professional, printing big etc - in which case everything matters).

A colleague has Olympus 4/3rd - amazed by how compact it is. The lens also comes cheap. I'd start there if I were starting off now unless you're sure that you can dedicate the time and effort to learn and go out to shoot often.

Yeah lots of m4/3 lenses on the used market...I've bought several, sold a few.

Must have lens as it's light and fantastic is the 45-175.
Occasionally on wicked good sale price. Looking for the X-series of lenses from Lumix means a step up and of course there are few Leica at a serious premium.

That Spencer Gorge shot is brilliant. (y)

unless you're sure that you can dedicate the time and effort to learn and go out to shoot often
Just take the camera and shoot ...most of my shots are fully automatic with some cropping and touch up post. The good shots are those when you have the camera at hand and the small size and weight allows that with M4/3.

My 45/175 lens and the Gx1 weigh under 2 lb total...incredible for a lens with 350 mm equivalent full optical reach. Pulled the bike over and took the shots and gone in a couple of minutes

SbGLn3ekFwVlHMo9aw9B0ui6Kj_9NDuKoG7mkhSc_y2XqJVG4ictA9S4HanBIKGUlR5bL_TF4Lweq9uyePE4u-iOjTsaQ_CpX65D5jHeq_oB8mxA2YNkySE1ne3tqasO9nwNcUxc88er7NMMiFodHAJFgHNudg68yG2gDSeBxvYJ2Dlgb8XLUvJMwq48lmoqMBsPxk2dbK05DuZZVoEP0ROM4Y_LFPsCxZdn5DX_3Wx4RwY7A6CbH2jGHrGR384zlStrMblHR3BNp7Ktsxb5A_RBn_eJvFp_btht7GYPZTBHRj4XFgKRa_70TrzbRsPGbTa_G8GkaFCZbWnKHhBy-IUae9vE94R4v4TzTHLL_WatW0lC_tbo7Jp3KpAqCPPNLWtttuZQej7Taq1a3losuCnNZuO5CWAIjw6mUEoJfaleWE1RgoEhlBJ8j2l_wyTZc8RvSutDCxunz2_szuUpmhCQ9ySvZ5JRIFMzYQSSZZDCkmjws-SBUoyu3VU61NxhxGqMtA9iByxeXmSq00q4KQvJU2vMT7QlLjwZlqJG5d-CtlEtU5lQA1E-HlXvCY12VkO3jV4qCRMlAv8taN65qSIYH-O_2M7Jq8v7vsI4Wi9NyjVx_3oqnf4rfJ4glLkk=w2128-h1236-no

uIPF7YnuAPUAso4At21bLb8BY832UppBhKXBTh-e4K0pvyiuJNjL8RvT4RINu8MTATEEAySPisVc7ZAFSoMTrBJs0cVZ2ooQPoX9zN6oZcfoxyMksucLcH_5S9HY9Nvy3WQJECiaXRRiWVQQ0cNWwzFX2Bx4XnOL0krLlhqNWLL-TR8_xBvDRq4Ai-8_4MsTBp77AmEodT40meFMJD53ZnLY95VxD0gO6UleYEGLh9nPmWshgGa4GM-JR2dpZvSOvpUVdZkVTfI5N8JWGan5BDSj7_v6uhOO2DlEolImQpR1Gp39HqrG5VLC2oHcpR6iOkJylXMEiq0TefUGsTKzbWh8Ym6LM7JNwtVtpovHFQW8fZSy2StpziyqKkkY7i72v1RriNOYBEeO3AAdRAYNLb7LpqG6Xc4MnIFr_VmWB5ZBUgPALnuzILvGshzAX7v3_aWmWCDUKuydhLZUHhRc_9_m2Kr1XfheDgrE6Jbf2vcMiWyPsP89K19Og1d34awBFTYh5gxVhXfUxYir2fN1HnelVFuJRzJNAkZCLUAsWUiShhKWpeHd0tAMNPEYQF0EKp0oVjaZqIJbiXMIOepZc-5_w3SglAhNvV4dGfUc5O1Qpn0OpgczwL6Dot5wDBVV=w1108-h800-no

Last edited:
Just take the camera and shoot ...most of my shots are fully automatic with some cropping and touch up post. The good shots are those when you have the camera at hand and the small size and weight allows that with M4/3.

My 45/175 lens and the Gx1 weigh under 2 lb total...incredible for a lens with 350 mm equivalent full optical reach. Pulled the bike over and took the shots and gone in a couple of minutes
This works almost always. No substitute for practice. Just take time to reflect and compare your current photos with the past ones to see progress!!

There are benefits of shooting in RAW (rather than jpeg) when it comes to editing - if you're interested in spending time post-processing that is :)

Back
Top Bottom