Attn. FJR owners... (and some other models) | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Attn. FJR owners... (and some other models)

This bike held zero interest for me until I saw Simon Hargreaves' various road test write-ups (MCN, video from Bennett's) where he waxed lyrical about the bike. He's not the type to just spout the marketing bumpf (ahem, Alan Cathcart), so if he says it, he usually means it. Adam Child said something similar for 44 Teeth and Fast Bikes, though he was less effusive.

Apparently the only significant problem is tank range...

More stops to get gas and look at the bike. That’s ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This bike held zero interest for me until I saw Simon Hargreaves' various road test write-ups (MCN, video from Bennett's) where he waxed lyrical about the bike. He's not the type to just spout the marketing bumpf (ahem, Alan Cathcart), so if he says it, he usually means it. Adam Child said something similar for 44 Teeth and Fast Bikes, though he was less effusive.

Apparently the only significant problem is tank range...

I havent ridden it(obviously) but from all I can gather, that v4 is more Volkswagen than ducati

Maybe they will give @Allistonfjr a test ride and he can give us his thoughts

Well... I haven't given up on Yamaha.
I'll have mine "fixed" well before riding weather starts...
'Plan to ride to the West coast in July... If she makes it without the tranny coming apart I'll be happy to buy another Yammy some day.

Well... I haven't given up on Yamaha.
I'll have mine "fixed" well before riding weather starts...
'Plan to ride to the West coast in July... If she makes it without the tranny coming apart I'll be happy to buy another Yammy some day.
Actually nor have I. Just hope the recall work all goes well. Would I buy another? Not sure. Great bike but needs an update and I don't believe that will ever happen.

So it's like a Multistrada GTI?
Looks like German sensibility is kicking in. Ducati’s heritage handcuffs (Desmo and trellis frames) poses the same risks to them as what HD faces with the big air Vtwin.

It’s a beauty, but pricy. It will debut around the same time as HD, similar pricing. Wonder how each does in the market.

Actually nor have I. Just hope the recall work all goes well. Would I buy another? Not sure. Great bike but needs an update and I don't believe that will ever happen.

There are rumblings the FJR will meet it's end soon in Europe... 'Something about Yamaha not being able or willing to get it to meet new(er) emissions criteria.

Thanks Greta

I havent ridden it(obviously) but from all I can gather, that v4 is more Volkswagen than ducati

Maybe they will give @Allistonfjr a test ride and he can give us his thoughts
I guess if 'Ducati' can only mean a big vibey L-twin with a noisy clutch, expensive and short service intervals via desmo valves, ropey build quality, etc., then this is probably true. Sure, some character is lost, I get that, but the end result is a much nicer motorcycle for day-to-day use that can actually live up to its name.

Maybe it's because I've never cared much about the stuff that some associate with Ducati (single sided swingarm, desmo valves, rattly clutch, steel frame, etc.), but I'm not that fussed about them moving forward. They've gone from a niche brand with mostly race-bred sportbikes to a much broader manufacturer. If I had a complaint, it would be them mostly giving up on superbikes for GP racing, which has resulted in less interesting street sportbikes. Until recently, the same could be said about Honda, I guess.
There are rumblings the FJR will meet it's end soon in Europe... 'Something about Yamaha not being able or willing to get it to meet new(er) emissions criteria.

Thanks Greta
Add it to the Euro 5 casualty list, which also includes an entire class in 600 supersports.

If the sales were there, they'd find a way. Euro 5 hasn't killed the S1000RR, the Tuono, the H2, the Goldwing, etc. It's killed old bikes that aren't selling. In the old days, some of those bikes may have hung around because the tooling was done (old Concours, anyone?), but not anymore.

My bigger beef is with the EPA, who insist on doing their own regulations. This forces manufacturers to build Euro 5 bikes for the rest of the world (China, India and Japan all use a version of the Euro regs as their model), then gimp it to also fit in the US (and by extension, Canada). This results in bikes with broken fuelling as standard (S1000RR and ZX-10R being prominent examples) needing a flashed ECU fresh off the showroom floor...

I guess if 'Ducati' can only mean a big vibey L-twin with a noisy clutch, expensive and short service intervals via desmo valves, ropey build quality, etc., then this is probably true. Sure, some character is lost, I get that, but the end result is a much nicer motorcycle for day-to-day use that can actually live up to its name.

Maybe it's because I've never cared much about the stuff that some associate with Ducati (single sided swingarm, desmo valves, rattly clutch, steel frame, etc.), but I'm not that fussed about them moving forward. They've gone from a niche brand with mostly race-bred sportbikes to a much broader manufacturer. If I had a complaint, it would be them mostly giving up on superbikes for GP racing, which has resulted in less interesting street sportbikes. Until recently, the same could be said about Honda, I guess.

Add it to the Euro 5 casualty list, which also includes an entire class in 600 supersports.

If the sales were there, they'd find a way. Euro 5 hasn't killed the S1000RR, the Tuono, the H2, the Goldwing, etc. It's killed old bikes that aren't selling. In the old days, some of those bikes may have hung around because the tooling was done (old Concours, anyone?), but not anymore.

My bigger beef is with the EPA, who insist on doing their own regulations. This forces manufacturers to build Euro 5 bikes for the rest of the world (China, India and Japan all use a version of the Euro regs as their model), then gimp it to also fit in the US (and by extension, Canada). This results in bikes with broken fuelling as standard (S1000RR and ZX-10R being prominent examples) needing a flashed ECU fresh off the showroom floor...
Iv also heard its revvy and lacking usable grunt, but this is just speculation, I'd have to test ride it next year

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

cb4FEM6.jpg
Mine came today.

I rode my bike to the shop. Saw tons of pics from one they did.
Total tear down.
Engine / transmission to the bench & opened up to swap 2 sets of gears, plus whatever.
I asked if they're getting that done in 14hrs. He laughed, said "no".
The 0.9hr for the brake switch is a 2 hr job, he said.
Might be ready next monday.

I think the total time it takes to do the job will vary depending on who is doing the job...

I read on one fjr specific forum of a guy who built a jig they'd bolt the bike into and then be able to flip the whole thing vertically.

This allowed them to do the job without pulling the motor completely out.

Exactly, on who does it.
Their tech has done 3 so far. Mine being 4.
I'm told each one is getting done in less time.

My only concern is what I'm going to trade it in for.

It makes me cringe, shimmy and shake to go there. But, you must be reading my mind!
Asap I'm going to try to demo a... **choking as I type this**..... bmw.
Evoex, like yours, s1000xr.
If it fits me, I'm buying one.
Don't choke!! Breathe!

Thinking R1250RT. 2021 looks amazing. Perhaps next year.
My nephew has an s1000xr. Second one he's owned. Never had an negative issue. Loves it.

Back
Top Bottom