Attn. FJR owners... (and some other models) | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Attn. FJR owners... (and some other models)

Let's look on the bright side guys... We're getting new transmissions..!
Suddenly your bike with X number of kms on it now has sorta kinda, in a way... less than X number of kms on it.... Right?

I think AllistonFJR's sig. line applies here... "Everything you ever wanted (a fixed tranny) is on the other side of fear"

Let's look on the bright side guys... We're getting new transmissions..!
Suddenly your bike with X number of kms on it now has sorta kinda, in a way... less than X number of kms on it.... Right?

I think AllistonFJR's sig. line applies here... "Everything you ever wanted (a fixed tranny) is on the other side of fear"
A nobody ended up on their head when the grenade went off.

A nobody ended up on their head when the grenade went off.

But... The funny thing is... It's been four years since these 6 speeds have been out.
I'm on one or another FJR forums pretty much every day and it wasn't until this past Sunday that I heard/read about ANYONE's gearbox spontaneously disassembling...

But... The funny thing is... It's been four years since these 6 speeds have been out.
I'm on one or another FJR forums pretty much every day and it wasn't until this past Sunday that I heard/read about ANYONE's gearbox spontaneously disassembling...
It's probably one of those things that happens very rarely but has catastrophic consequences when it does so it gets fixed.

I can't speak to Yamaha's rationale, but the typical math for car makers has been whether the cost of the recall will be less than the potential liability when a known issue results in injury or death.

Maybe I'm not as cynical as I should be, but I assume higher moral character at Yamaha than at GM, so it could be simply they know it's the right thing to do, or would prefer to play it safe than risk someone dying. A locked rear mid-corner would be a bad day for anyone.

Either way, major surgery on every FJR out there is going to be a very expensive fix. Full credit to Yamaha for taking these steps, despite the inconvenience to owners. Hopefully dealers will offer pickup and delivery for those without trucks or trailers...

Either way, major surgery on every FJR out there is going to be a very expensive fix. Full credit to Yamaha for taking these steps, despite the inconvenience to owners. Hopefully dealers will offer pickup and delivery for those without trucks or trailers...
Full credit too Yamaha? For going cheap and stuffing a 6 speed in a 5 speed case instead of redesigning a new case? Sorry, but I'm not pleased.

The necessary parts have been ordered for the 1st and last yamaha I'll ever buy.

You have not had good luck recently buying vehicles that you are happy with.
Space to keep all the fun ****......I just don't have.
The fjr saw over 10k trouble free kms since May. If it's centre of gravity was a foot or two lower (and transmissions didn't blow up), it would go from a good bike (imo) to near perfect.

'Stopped in to visit a Yamaha dealer today...
Parts ordered.
Once they arrive I'll drop the bike off for the recalled issues to be executed.
'Service manager put me at ease explaining a few things, so... Anxiety levels have tapered off...

On interesting note... Or an assumption I'm making at least...
Mama Yamma must have planned well in advance as according to the fellow I spoke with there are PLENTY of cartridges in stock at the warehouse.
I mean P-L-E-N-T-Y.

Don't ask me the number... Imma not tellin'

Received recall notice today. Yamaha warns to only ride the bike to the dealer. Warns danger of rear wheel locking up if second gear breaks.

Multistrada V4S is looking pretty good now!

Received recall notice today. Yamaha warns to only ride the bike to the dealer. Warns danger of rear wheel locking up if second gear breaks.

Can I come to take pics and hear the exhaust note when you buy?

cb4FEM6.jpg

This bike held zero interest for me until I saw Simon Hargreaves' various road test write-ups (MCN, video from Bennett's) where he waxed lyrical about the bike. He's not the type to just spout the marketing bumpf (ahem, Alan Cathcart), so if he says it, he usually means it. Adam Child said something similar for 44 Teeth and Fast Bikes, though he was less effusive.

Apparently the only significant problem is tank range...

Back
Top Bottom