Aprilia had a hell of a year | GTAMotorcycle.com

Aprilia had a hell of a year

Shaman

From the 2015 Piaggio financial report:

"...in the motorcycle sector, the Aprilia brand reported revenue growth of 36% from 2014. The Aprilia super sports bikes with the V4 engine, assisted by the benefits of Aprilia's MotoGP and Superbike activities, and its victory in the 2015 Superstock 1000 FIM Cup, generated strong growth in sales in 2015, with an improvement of 56% in sales volumes for the RSV4 range and 74% in sales for the Tuono 1100 product."

That's insane. And most of those bikes would be the RF and Factory versions, since they had barely hit showroom floors at all in North America until August - and none of the RR versions showed up until the fall, which was their year end.

There seems to be a real hunger out there for very fast street bikes now that Sideroad 15 is packed down real good.

Awesome bikes definitely

And love the looks

92cb9987add80ab8815ff77f715f5175.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm still craving for a Tuono. It's been getting fantastic reviews.

Alas insurance is not kind to it.

Last edited:
20151116124524-6e7d5de6-me.jpg

Yeah... it's over-stated but I have never owned a bike that attracts attention like that thing does. Nobody really cared about my 2013 except hardcore SBK fans, but this one gets people driving erratically and waving. I preferred the more understated look.

Also, the custom work on that bike above - really nice. Whoever did that, Aprilia should call them up and have a chat about doing some mockups for a production look.

(the sharp-eyed and knowledgable will know that the pic I posted is a euro RF, with plastic trim, fenders, louvers... mine is a RF Factory and those pieces are all carbon fiber, as the North American distributor demanded that Aprilia add more value to the NA market)

MacDoc: Uhm... how is a specific rise in sales of a specific model based on scooters... lol I'm not sure you read my post.

OK I will bite .... Can you explain their motoGP effort?

I see it as a money pit they don't need. Your report supports the fact that they have done extremely well without it. Their WSBK effort was superb and I can see how that money was well spent on their superbike line of products.

What am I missing?

BTW .... I ride Dorso, and the middle weights are not exactly bikes which shine when compared to others. In my view they are OK, but not very good or great. The price was right, kind of a thing .... They don't seem to care, it's all about Tuono and RSV4. Would you agree it you have a different take on it?

Honestly, I think the GP thing is a poor idea. It costs a mint and there isn't much to be gained from it - however... and this is where I think they're at - far more people watch GP races than watch WSBK races. Or WERA. Or Moto-USA. Or BSB. Or CSBK. That attitude is crap, IMHO - because it's like most people only watch the one series that has bikes you can't buy and need to be inhuman to ride. It's exposure that has driven them to MotoGP.

But being Aprilia, they have done very little to make it completely clear that they are in the early stages of testing and are not there even trying to win races but to develop a platform that can. They brought a modified version of the CRT bike out last year and discovered that a few seconds a lap isn't a gap you can make up even with a top-flight rider without a true GP bike (I doubt this surprised them).

Despite their stated goal being that they wanted a top-10 finish in 2016 and having already reached it... I think that for most people, their image in GP is negative. Because, when it comes to brand recognition you're either a winner or you're a loser, and as you know, MotoGP is *SO* easy to win at. When it comes to superbikes, there may be such a thing as bad exposure.

I would have advised working to dominate SuperStock where their new bike already made a big debut in, and use the savings to advertise and market their products. And maybe use a modified version of the 1100 engine in the Caponord to address the perceived power deficit in that bike (misguided, perhaps, but perceived).

They can still derive data from their GP effort that will improve their standard bikes, but I think there is far less to be learned there than in production-based racing, as they are not going to build a production engine with 260hp+ and a life of 1500km. And I think they should have done what Suzuki did, testing their bike in private for a year if that's what it took, instead of taking a bike they knew wasn't competitive and entering it in races. They could have used race data to judge their bike against, like Suzuki did.

BTW .... I ride Dorso, and the middle weights are not exactly bikes which shine when compared to others. In my view they are OK, but not very good or great. The price was right, kind of a thing .... They don't seem to care, it's all about Tuono and RSV4. Would you agree it you have a different take on it?

Despite the fact that the Caponord is down on power in the sport-touring class compared to some, I think it is still an excellent bike. I have a friend with one and he puts it through hell - gravel roads, rail trails, two-up day trips and a bit of scratching. It's held up and it's very comfortable in most situations. However, the Dorsoduro and Shiver need an update to be sure, the Shiver moreso than the Dorso. There doesn't seem to be much will to do it and there doesn't seem to be much interest from Aprilia in general.

When you look at the technology in the V4 bikes and the technology in the Shiver, it's night and day. I don't have the answers - but if I had an ideal world they would find a way to assume MV, drop the F4, drop the Shiver, put an I3 in the Dorsoduro and create a V4 / I3 mix of superbikes, super-tourers, super-nakeds and the same based off supersports (675/800cc) that would set them apart... and take some styling cues from MV for the whole line. But I doubt it'll happen, as MV has *massive* debt to deal with. Also, I would probably drop the 800 except for the touring & naked versions... you're not likely to race the 800 in a superbike class and you can't race it in the 600 class, so... why not the RSV4?

Last edited:
It may be cheaper to pick up the F3 engine in liquidation than it would be to assume the giant pile of debt that MV is saddled with. Then you get the engine without the baggage (money and ownership).

The title IS

Aprilia had a hell of a year

yes you burrowed down in the OP for a few items of small numbers where 10 additional sales might affect the percentage increase...does not related closely to the broad title.
Nitpicking? ...YUP :D

Overall revenue growth of 36% is no small amount. A lot of companies would kill for that. Hell, I think 36% growth would be rough on most companies.

Overall revenue growth of 36% is no small amount. A lot of companies would kill for that. Hell, I think 36% growth would be rough on most companies.

LOL
yeah theyre doing great...just check the performance of their stock ...you'd get a better return burying your money in the backyard.

... profits went down to 1.8% from 2.4% in 2014....but revenues are up whooppee !

... is your day job a financial advisor ???
what are some of your other picks ?

target canada ?
sham wow corporation ?

amd-shamwow-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Screw that, I put my money in the teacher's pension fund. They make as much as 18% some quarters. LOL

Honestly, I think the GP thing is a poor idea. It costs a mint and there isn't much to be gained from it - however... and this is where I think they're at - far more people watch GP races than watch WSBK races. Or WERA. Or Moto-USA. Or BSB. Or CSBK. That attitude is crap, IMHO - because it's like most people only watch the one series that has bikes you can't buy and need to be inhuman to ride. It's exposure that has driven them to MotoGP.

They never had been able to recreate the exposure that they had when they were dominating the 125cc and 250cc classes. Once those went to 4-stroke, Aprilia dropped out and were no longer linked to grand prix racing. I guess they felt that it would be fastest to return to MotoGP (vs Moto2 or Moto3) since they already had the ART platform (which, ironically was descended from the RSV4 superbike).

I wonder if running Moto3 would have been the better strategy. Lower development expense, and Moto3 is (more or less) a profit centre for manufacturers. I would be surprised if that program lasts beyond 5 years. Remember their last motogp effort? Only lasted 2 years and their greatest claim to fame was bursting into flames with Colin Edwards riding it.

Colin-Edwards-Fire-1.jpg

Well, if they'd had today's technology, their last motoGP effort wouldn't have gone quite like that, but they were also a different company in many ways, at the time.

Anyway, you can say plenty of things about the company, but they DO know how to win. 54 world titles and something like 370 race wins to their name.

Back
Top Bottom