Apprenticeship questions | GTAMotorcycle.com

Apprenticeship questions

bigpoppa

So, some updates, I got hired and am working now as a helper, learning a lot, working a lot,
to get signed on as an apprentice, the person you work for has to be a journeyman correct?

You cant become an apprentice if your boss isnt a journeyman right?

Erm? What trade? I thought for the most part only Master tradesmen could register their own company and employ apprentices.

Congrats!

The owner or your boss do not have to be certified, BUT you have to be trained or supervised by a journeyman. Plus your schooling and hours working in the trade. Just remember, you are now the low man and will get stuck with all the ^&*$ jobs no else wants to do or the boring crap.
Stick with it and best of luck. Good tradesmen are few and far between.
I'm in a small (6 guys) high end tool & die shop and we have gone through 8 people in the last 5 years.

The owner or your boss do not have to be certified, BUT you have to be trained or supervised by a journeyman. Plus your schooling and hours working in the trade. Just remember, you are now the low man and will get stuck with all the ^&*$ jobs no else wants to do or the boring crap.
Stick with it and best of luck. Good tradesmen are few and far between.
I'm in a small (6 guys) high end tool & die shop and we have gone through 8 people in the last 5 years.
I'm in automotive mfg, good tool makers are hard to find and harder to keep.

no such thing as a Master Tradesman

you serve an apprenticeship
do your hours and the schooling
then write the exam and get your C of Q

you don't have to spend every minute of that under the tutelage of Journeyman
but there does have to be one on staff
the company owner does not have to be a Journeyman

Ontario has an exam to become a Master Electrician.

@bigpoppa , which field are you following? different trades have different requirements

Plumbing

no such thing as a Master Tradesman

you serve an apprenticeship
do your hours and the schooling
then write the exam and get your C of Q

you don't have to spend every minute of that under the tutelage of Journeyman
but there does have to be one on staff
the company owner does not have to be a Journeyman
Uh? 'Tradesman' was a loose term to encompass all the relevant trades. Last i checked we still have Master Electricians, etc.

Reactions: J_F
Ontario also has a Master Plumber designation . Plumbing ticket is 5 yrs apprentice, 9000hrs , and 720 school . It goes fast and the hrs count riding in the truck.
Keep ALL of your time cards , pay statements. Yes 5 yrs worth until your done .
Www.ontario.ca had all the info for getting registered as an apprentice.
If you get ANY pushback from your employer about signing , quit. Every trade likes to train and if they resist your hours are worthless . Plumber is a great trade these days , my plumber buddy makes 6 figures , it’s often ugly, but that’s why he makes good money

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Apprentice training program <- that is where your employer can hire you and subsidize a small chunk of your salary with a government grant. Your productivity needs to exceed your cost of employment so make sure once that subsidy money runs out you are indispensable to your employer.

... stay off your cell phone at work, nothing upsets your boss more then paying you to do something other then the job you were hired to do.

Last edited:
You should probably ask these questions to your boss, at the minimum it'll indicate to them that you have ambitions higher than labourer

I will say I’ve worked both in hvac and plumbing now, and like hvac a lot better
More interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... so do you know what the slope on a drain has to be yet?

nope, there is a spec, is a range where das poop keeps moving.

Holy guys:

Back
Top Bottom