Anyone using MagicJack for home phone line? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone using MagicJack for home phone line?

Hawk

Sounds like it plugs into my modem and into my regular phone line. Would be good to hear of someone that uses it and your experience. I'm looking to dump maBell. Thanks

I got rid of a landline 4-5 Years ago.
MY DSL provider covers the dry loop charge.

2 cell phones in the house. I figured I didn't need a landline.

Most calls I would make from my landline would be long distance anyways.

All I got was air duct cleaning calls.

Now i just get them on my cell phone :mad:

I use voip.ms for phone. Needs an ip phone, but rings wherever in the world that phone is plugged in. Can also forward to cell (or have both ring). Its cheap, sounds great and has only been down for a few hours in the last 3+ years.

had one awhile back, was terrible - maybe they've gotten better
with a decent cell plan and good internet with Skype I have no need for anything else

It was the first provider I went with when I got rid of my land line. 1 word horrible. I’ve made the switch to Primus VoIP and it has been a huge difference. The price was good but that was it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bell just installed one at my house. You need a backup power supply, or you can rent/buy a battery from them.

I'm planning on complaining, since I have all the Bell jacks in and was using them with Teksavvy, which means I'm down four phones.

I have my mom setup with freephoneline for eight years now. I think it was a $50 setup fee, and nothing after that. Bought a Linksys PAP2T for another $50.

Been running strong for eight years now, don't think it's ever gone down.

I use one (magicjack). Works well enough. Have it plugged into my computer and the phone into the magicjack. I also use the app they have for your mobile device. Sometimes the call quality will drop or be echoy if you are doing something else on the internet. For what you pay it gets the job done, but if I was making a lot of calls I would use something else.

As for landline, I've never owned one, I always had a cell phone. Why have 2 lines. Plus now you can make wifi calls on your cell phone while you are at home or where you have decent internet. I use this quiet a bit since I have Freedom mobile and their network is spotty.

I use Callcentric. I keep 2 business numbers and my home phone number with them. I have them route biz calls to cell phones and my home number goes to a Linksys PAP2T that is connected to the old twisted pair lines inside my house.

Whole thing costs me about $20/mo for 2 biz and one home line. 100% uptime, perfect call quality for the last year.

I use Callcentric. I keep 2 business numbers and my home phone number with them. I have them route biz calls to cell phones and my home number goes to a Linksys PAP2T that is connected to the old twisted pair lines inside my house.

Whole thing costs me about $20/mo for 2 biz and one home line. 100% uptime, perfect call quality for the last year.
That's expensive for voip. I am paying <$100 a year for a phone line and fax line. Half the money is for the fax line that has literally never been used but clients still expect you to have one.

I've had a Magicjack Plus VOIP for about 8 years.
Plugs into a wall plug, phone and internet plug into unit. I can call anywhere in North America, no long distance charge.
No need to leave your computer on.
I can take the unit with me, plug it in and use it anywhere without long distance charges for me or anyone calling me from GTA area codes.
Cost now is about $50 a year.
No complaints.
You have to pay $10 premium for Canadian number.
The only downside, no 911, 411, 311, or '0' Bell operator.

That's expensive for voip. I am paying <$100 a year for a phone line and fax line. Half the money is for the fax line that has literally never been used but clients still expect you to have one.
Each DID cost me $2.95/mo ($10), if all I was doing is routing calls to an IP phone it would be about $10/mo. I use network based unified messaging, so my DIDs can accept a fax (to email), receive & forward SMS messages, operate an auto-attendant and hunt phones for another $10/mo. It's incredibly cheap.

Each DID cost me $2.95/mo ($10), if all I was doing is routing calls to an IP phone it would be about $10/mo. I use network based unified messaging, so my DIDs can accept a fax (to email), receive & forward SMS messages, operate an auto-attendant and hunt phones for another $10/mo. It's incredibly cheap.
It's amazing how far we have come, Ma bell probably doesn't even offer a similar business package and if they did it would be close to $500 a month. It's not enough savings to switch if you have a provider you are happy with but voip.ms is 1.95 for a fax line, 0.85 for a normal line and includes SMS, auto-attendant, ring to cell etc in the base rate. Again, I sure as hell wouldn't be switching around to try to save $100 a year with the potential business implications of a crappy provider, but if I was signing up as a new customer, $100 a year is better than $250 when the service seems equivalent.

It's amazing how far we have come, Ma bell probably doesn't even offer a similar business package and if they did it would be close to $500 a month. It's not enough savings to switch if you have a provider you are happy with but voip.ms is 1.95 for a fax line, 0.85 for a normal line and includes SMS, auto-attendant, ring to cell etc in the base rate. Again, I sure as hell wouldn't be switching around to try to save $100 a year with the potential business implications of a crappy provider, but if I was signing up as a new customer, $100 a year is better than $250 when the service seems equivalent.
When I switched my business to VOIP in 2010, I was paying Bell $70x3 for business lines (2 phone and a fax), .10/minute for 800 service and same for LD. Bell would charge about $200/mo for that same service today. My phone bills were about $450/mo. I changed over to VOIP and bought a little Grandstream PBX (? 200 bucks at the time) and dropped my monthly cost to $30 at that time. Today I can do all that without the PBX for $20/mo.

For home or very small business that doesn't use much phone VOIP.MS is a great deal. Not so sure if you are routing numbers to a cell phone -- we take about 40 calls a day, average 4 minutes/call - their cheapest service would cost us approxCAD $45/mo ($5.65 (unlimited origination+DID) plus $40 for termination (1.2cents a minute 3200 minutes).

I have Ooma VOIP. It's been flawless. Lots of options, easy to use blacklist, one click and it's done. Really cheap international calls can link it to your cellphone too. I don't like having a cellphone as my only phone as I'm very cautious who I give my cell # to as that's when you start getting the ****** robocalls etc.

I have Ooma VOIP. It's been flawless. Lots of options, easy to use blacklist, one click and it's done. Really cheap international calls can link it to your cellphone too. I don't like having a cellphone as my only phone as I'm very cautious who I give my cell # to as that's when you start getting the ****** robocalls etc.
Haha, that brings up a good point. DID's are cheap enough now that if you enter a lot of contests, you could use a burner number instead of your main phone number. It keeps you main number from ending up on everybody's list. I'm not sure if it matters though as most spamnthese days seems to be pure brute force autodialer.

I've had a Magicjack Plus VOIP for about 8 years.
Plugs into a wall plug, phone and internet plug into unit. I can call anywhere in North America, no long distance charge.
No need to leave your computer on.
I can take the unit with me, plug it in and use it anywhere without long distance charges for me or anyone calling me from GTA area codes.
Cost now is about $50 a year.
No complaints.
You have to pay $10 premium for Canadian number.
The only downside, no 911, 411, 311, or '0' Bell operator.
Same here. Been using the Magicjack Plus for about 5 years. $40/year for the service + $10/year for the Canadian number. I thought 911 still worked so long as your address is setup accurately in your profile?
We barely use the landline, but my wife insists on having one. Voicemail gets sent to our mobiles, so we don't often answer or make calls with the landline.

Back
Top Bottom