Anyone ride a XSR900? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone ride a XSR900?

Ive never rode an xsr900.

but I think the greatest difference you'll notice is the increase in weight.

I also think you may miss the handling and light weight of the r3.

just be smart/careful - and choose the right time when to put put; and when to go.

I would find a dealer to let me test ride, before purchase. maybe test ride a short list of 3 bikes or so?

............but I think the greatest difference you'll notice is the increase in weight...............

Works the other way too.

I've had a 100 HP 750 lb ST forever (140,000 km) and plan to ride my new-to-me 112 HP 500 lb 2019 Tracer GT (roughly the same bike/engine) in B mode for the first few weeks until I get used to the lower weight and different throttle response. Nothing wrong with that, better safe than surprised and then sorry

When I was looking for a new bike I really wanted to test ride the XSR700 as a replacement for my VStrom 650, but the 700 was a new model and booked solid on the demo day. I hadn't intended to try the XSR900, but it was available so I took it out for the demo anyway. My main recollection of the ride was that the power was absolutely ridiculous and that I had no need for such a bike. I filed that info away in the back of my brain and sat on the decision for another year, but the 900 kept whispering to me.

One thing about demo days is that the more powerful bikes are more likely to make an impression. My VStrom feels like a tractor after riding the 900, and not just because of the power: the v-twin vibes are so different from the triple's smoothness, the brakes are wooden, and the seating position is like a kitchen chair. The XSR900 usually makes me giggle within seconds, whereas I often don't appreciate the VStrom until after an hour or so when I notice that my butt doesn't hurt and I'm thinking maybe I'll extend the ride and take a loop up to Lindsay or Bobcaygeon just for the hell of it.

To me, it came down to whether I wanted a single bike to do it all (XSR700 or one of the other 650/700 twins), or whether I was willing to deal with two street bikes (keep the VStrom for practicality/distance, and add the XSR900 for quick rips around the countryside). The VStrom is an appliance or a tool, and the XSR900 is a pure toy. That's partly because the VStrom is so ugly that I don't mind bolting on all sorts of practical crap like a top case, but the XSR900 is too pretty for that.

All comes down to you OP and I dont know you or your abilities. The honda is fairly tame and would probably make you happy for a year or two.

Now the Yammi (I have a '14 FZ09 ) is a beast. The power is one thing , but the suspension is what I think got newer riders into trouble with this bike. I read its improved 2016 onward and I'm not 100% but XSR900 has traction control and abs so that helps.

Long story short you gotta buy what you would be happy with. Just give that bike some serious respect for the first while

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Buy used, whatever you choose, and hopefully you won't lose much if you need to sell it later. Buy new and you're shafted on the immediate dep'n hit and the 13% HST.

All comes down to you OP and I dont know you or your abilities. The honda is fairly tame and would probably make you happy for a year or two.

Now the Yammi (I have a '14 FZ09 ) is a beast. The power is one thing , but the suspension is what I think got newer riders into trouble with this bike. I read its improved 2016 onward and I'm not 100% but XSR900 has traction control and abs so that helps.

Long story short you gotta buy what you would be happy with. Just give that bike some serious respect for the first while

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
‘17*

The XSR900 got the suspension upgrades when it was introduced in 2016, so all XSR900 models should have them

The XSR900 got the suspension upgrades when it was introduced in 2016, so all XSR900 models should have them
Make no mistake, the suspension is still not good compared to many of its peers in the sub litre naked segment (Street Triple, 890 Duke, Z900, Monster). The only real improvement claim about the XSR900 is the throttle map over the FZ-09 around 2018 but has since been incorporated.

Make no mistake, the suspension is still not good compared to many of its peers in the sub litre naked segment (Street Triple, 890 Duke, Z900, Monster). The only real improvement claim about the XSR900 is the throttle map over the FZ-09 around 2018 but has since been incorporated.

Yeah, its awful, got to keep the costs down somehow. Lot of bike for the price but they really skimped on the suspension.

by all accounts the only edge the yamaha has is the engine, for everything else, you would better off looking elsewhere

but for ordinary everyday street riding I think its probably fine, for track days or anything aggressive you'd be better off with the others

Yeah, its awful, got to keep the costs down somehow. Lot of bike for the price but they really skimped on the suspension.
The brakes are probably not as good as the europeans either

Can it be fixed? If the engine or transmission is a dog or the bike is pudgy, there's not much you can do, at least suspension swap is feasible (although not cheap).

Can it be fixed? If the engine or transmission is a dog or the bike is pudgy, there's not much you can do, at least suspension swap is feasible (although not cheap).
Yes I believe zx6r rear shock is a direct swap.
Honestly if you’re not pushing it in the corners it’s fine.

New rear shock altogether. Ktech/Ohlins and you're set on the rear with full adjustment. Front needs to be resprung for rider weight and if you have money to blow revalved.

by all accounts the only edge the yamaha has is the engine, for everything else, you would better off looking elsewhere

but for ordinary everyday street riding I think its probably fine, for track days or anything aggressive you'd be better off with the others

The brakes are probably not as good as the europeans either
I remember the brakes feeling like a block of wood ?

There's a drop-in Ohlins kit for the forks if you want. I don't mind the stock forks at all for street duty. I just wanted to clarify that the XSR did indeed get the updated FZ forks. A bunch of reviews on the pre-'17 FZ models described the forks as borderline unsafe because they were so soft and undamped.

Most of the peer group got significant upgrades recently as its the new hot segment in the industry. Its where all the 600 SS purchases went. A lot of the recent examples were significantly improved in departments like engine(power and characteristics) and weight reduction. I left examples like the Shiver, Gixus, FZ8R off cause there's a couple of examples of bikes that got left behind in the dust.
New rear shock altogether. Ktech/Ohlins and you're set on the rear with full adjustment. Front needs to be resprung for rider weight and if you have money to blow revalved.
At that point, you are approaching Street Triple RS/890 Duke R money(factor in the brake system too). Too bad Yamaha never brought over the SP version, but the price gap would shrink.

I remember the brakes feeling like a block of wood ?
I still remember riding my first euro bike (a hyperstrada) and the level of feel on those brembos was ???

I could modulate those brakes to my hearts content

Back
Top Bottom