anyone own a protege5? feedback/reviews? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

anyone own a protege5? feedback/reviews?

I have a red 2002 ... just like everyone else here ... yes rust is the main beef with me too ... and those rear brakes. I just re-did the rear brakes completely last fall ... should cover me until burial time. On the red ones, I find that the paint was too thin. Also the black window trim is rust prone. Only other problems: failed rear ABS sensor, a/c magnetic clutch seizing up, and replaced oxygen sensor 2 years ago. Mechanically, the car has been fairly solid (except rear brakes). Also, check the oil pan ... unfortunately it's too thin ... replace mine about 5 years ago ... scratched my head on that one. Funny thing is that my exhaust is still original ... go figure.

If you can find one that has 0 rust ... good ... then remove the rear hatch badges and fiberglass up the holes, rustproof, and paint.

Gas mileage is so-so for a 4 cyl ... I find I get 32-35 mpg ... the gearing is a bit tall which hurts the gas mileage a bit. Space is great inside.

Some 2002's have notchy clutches ... not an issue for 2003s. Go for 03s and avoid the 02s if you can.

Other than that, I still love the car ... just wished I didn't have the premature rust problems.

My 3 cents ...

Last edited:
Not sure how thicker metal would stop rust. Maybe they increased the galvanized coating thickness.

Hence my quote of saying I would by a "new" 3.

Mazda took steps on the newer models to correct some of the problems with the rust issues. They implemented new process during the manufacturing to reduce intrusion of water around the wheel wells, and apparently thicker metal.

I believe the majority of the rusting issues were around the wheel wells.

Last edited:
I have an 03 P5 with about 180 000 km. No rear brake problems like others report, just a rear wheel abs sensor and struts has been all that's required in the last 5 years. However, about a week ago the check engine light came on and this past winter the rear wheel well rust problem arrived with a vengeance! If you can find one with decent kms and no rust for a good price - go for it!

Back
Top Bottom