Anyone make jerky? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone make jerky?

Mine has 4 hours to go. Eye round. I used black strap molasses instead of sugar.
72b256a6b31468599916b41b9d114ab7.jpg

Eye round. Is that a real lean cut?
What are you using for marinade? Home made recipe?

This was my first time. I wanted a snack for mountaineering so salty and carbs are good.

For 1 kg of eye round I started with this recipe.

1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar

1 cup soy sauce

3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon smoked paprika

1 teaspoon unseasoned meat tenderizer (see note)

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon onion powder

½ teaspoon garlic powder

My brown sugar was clumped up so I used 1/2 cup of black strap molasses. That worked out well.

The eye round from Costco is a nice lean chunk of meat at a reasonable price. It's easy to see the grain and cut against it. Even though I did not use meat tenderizer it's easy to bite from it.

I went with the dehydrator instructions to cook it for 6 hours at 165f. That was a bit too long. Next time I will try to see how it is at 5hrs. Overall I'm really happy with how it came out.

101611b890c1c1814c8f382e59f3fc64.jpg

I do a little bit of jerky, you can use any meat, even fish. I used to use a Bass Pro dehydrator, we bought a new range with a dehydrator feature and an app that controls things.

I like the Presidents Choice marinades, I find the need a bit of salt to help drying, an a bit of cayenne for heat.

This was my first time. I wanted a snack for mountaineering so salty and carbs are good.

For 1 kg of eye round I started with this recipe.

1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar

1 cup soy sauce

3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon smoked paprika

1 teaspoon unseasoned meat tenderizer (see note)

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon onion powder

½ teaspoon garlic powder

My brown sugar was clumped up so I used 1/2 cup of black strap molasses. That worked out well.

The eye round from Costco is a nice lean chunk of meat at a reasonable price. It's easy to see the grain and cut against it. Even though I did not use meat tenderizer it's easy to bite from it.

I went with the dehydrator instructions to cook it for 6 hours at 165f. That was a bit too long. Next time I will try to see how it is at 5hrs. Overall I'm really happy with how it came out.

101611b890c1c1814c8f382e59f3fc64.jpg
165 sounds high. it's been a few years since I've made any, but I recall 140. you don't want it cooking, just drying. I'll look around and see if I can find my recipe to post. I always use venison as I have a fairly constant supply.

I like to cut with the grain so the jerky is stringy and even more "chewy". For my marinade I went online looking at recipes and averaged them out so my marinade is:
1 cup soya
1/3 cup worchester sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
A good sprinkle of garlic powder and onion salt
Then half a dozen squirts of Franks regular and extra hot

I have no idea how hot my dehydrater runs - it's just a little element under some plastic trays.

How do we arrange for samples?... you know... for comparison...

How do we arrange for samples?... you know... for comparison...
Not sure about the others but mine does not seem to last long. The bag I showed is what I got from a KG of meat. Material ~15$. Time - ~1 1/2 hrs. Definitely not in it to make money.

You're a Jerky Tease!!

my current ranking,

the PC is my favourite,
the KIrkland one a second.
Wagyu and Jack Links third
McSweeneys a distant fourth.

Thanks for the tip Lyndsay.

If anyone is headed to Whistler I can provide samples ;). PM me, I don't check around here that often.

Back
Top Bottom