I'd been going back and forth between doing the Tail of the Dragon, the Moonshiner, and Back of the Dragon loop or the James Bay road this summer. Had some plans for the Tail combo but unfortunately it fell apart when the friend who wanted to come discovered his time off evaporated.
And going south and spending money in the USA is leaving a worse and worse taste in my mouth. Just got back from a week in the Adirondacks (Went to Americade) and although I loved it, I'm struggling personally with going south again and spending more money in Trumplandia right now.
So, I'm looking back towards James Bay again. But my usual circle of riding buddies are showing little to no interest in this ride...mainly because of the following:
- It's a decent number of miles (~3300KM)
- I like to ride long days, so 800-1100KM days are preferred, at least when getting between A and B - I do want to spend a day at the end visiting the dam as well as the town of Chisasibi however.
- It's desolate - it's about the goal and adventure, not the scenery.
- No premium fuel available. Of the friends who ARE interested several require premium in their bikes, and it's not available everywhere.
- I'd prefer to camp when riding long trips. I enjoy it and it's cheaper than hotels/motels. Not everyone is into camping.
Looking at 4 days at some point during the second and third weeks of July when I'm on vacation. Schedule is flexible.
Nothing personal sportbike/young guys, but would prefer to stick with the cruiser/touring/adventure bike segment, and preferably the >40YO crowd. This is a trip for which personalities need to mesh.