Anyone in Toronto with TuneECU / Knowledge? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone in Toronto with TuneECU / Knowledge?

MaksTO

Hey everyone!

I’m looking to turn off the AI solenoid on my 2015 Triumph Scrambler, as well as confirm or upload the correct map for the exhaust that is on it, as I’m not sure if it was done before.

I’m totally new to EFI stuff and don’t really wanna mess it up, so was hoping someone may be able to help me sort these things out one evening if possible! Bike just uses an OBD2 connector - I don’t believe it’s model specific?

More than happy to provide drinks or compensation :)

can you ask prev owner ?
more importantly, how good does it run? or not.

shops generally charge 300+ for a ecu flash-not a lot of cash
would be interesting if someone was doing flashes on the side..

Last edited:
Don't fix what isn't broken, if it runs fine leave it alone.
If you feel the absolute necessity, then run it on a dyno with an exhaust sniffer and see what the numbers look like.
A Triumph Scrambler is not exactly a super high output machine.

can you ask prev owner ?
more importantly, how good does it run? or not.

shops generally charge 300+ for a ecu flash-not a lot of cash
would be interesting if someone was doing flashes on the side..
Prev owner isn’t sure if it was done.

Bike runs well I think! Just lots of popping on decel. I tightened exhaust nuts a bit and seemed to improve a little. But if anything it’s running a tad rich so I’m not too worried about it.

Maybe will just do it myself whenever I get time to look at it and get the tools

If you feel the absolute necessity, then run it on a dyno with an exhaust sniffer and see what the numbers look like.
Seems to run fine! Not in a huge rush. Maybe a winter project for me or something.

Reactions: TK4
Rather than disabling the air injection through the software, it can simply be done by removing the hose from the air box. Leave in place, but plug the end. Also plug or tape over the hole in the air box.

Are you certain the ECU on your 2015 is accessible? I thought Triumph had taken steps to block any tampering.

Rather than disabling the air injection through the software, it can simply be done by removing the hose from the air box. Leave in place, but plug the end. Also plug or tape over the hole in the air box.

Are you certain the ECU on your 2015 is accessible? I thought Triumph had taken steps to block any tampering.
Air injection delete is already done (hoses removed and top end openings are blocked off with plugs etc). I was just stressed because I kept hearing a random pop sound that wasn’t in any rhythmic timing with the engine - turns out it is the AI solenoid still activating because the ECU thinks it’s all still attached and is attempting to put air in. Wracked my brain for a few days trying to figure out what the sound was, thinking my top end was going to be trashed, until I finally found an audio clip the same as mine online demonstrating and explaining the sound.

ECU is definitely accessible from everything that I’ve read. It’s just an OBD2 connector and that’s it. Triumph even offered the arrow 2:1 as an option from factory so they have the map - though it also exists online and people say it’s worth doing.

That said the bike runs fine. A little jumpy at low rpm in stop and go traffic but that’s probably clutch friction zone and chain slack etc. not a bit deal to me.

Air injection delete is already done (hoses removed and top end openings are blocked off with plugs etc). I was just stressed because I kept hearing a random pop sound that wasn’t in any rhythmic timing with the engine - turns out it is the AI solenoid still activating because the ECU thinks it’s all still attached and is attempting to put air in. Wracked my brain for a few days trying to figure out what the sound was, thinking my top end was going to be trashed, until I finally found an audio clip the same as mine online demonstrating and explaining the sound.

ECU is definitely accessible from everything that I’ve read. It’s just an OBD2 connector and that’s it. Triumph even offered the arrow 2:1 as an option from factory so they have the map - though it also exists online and people say it’s worth doing.

That said the bike runs fine. A little jumpy at low rpm in stop and go traffic but that’s probably clutch friction zone and chain slack etc. not a bit deal to me.

When I had my Tiger I used Tune ECU but I needed a specific cable I seem to remember, had to get one off flea bay I think. Also the software is open source and it’s a bit daunting/not totally user friendly. You can really screw things up. I was just doing minor stuff with fans and cooling I think so it was pretty straightforward following YouTube videos exactly. Watch them a few times first to make sure you know what screens look like etc.

When I had my Tiger I used Tune ECU but I needed a specific cable I seem to remember, had to get one off flea bay I think. Also the software is open source and it’s a bit daunting/not totally user friendly. You can really screw things up. I was just doing minor stuff with fans and cooling I think so it was pretty straightforward following YouTube videos exactly. Watch them a few times first to make sure you know what screens look like etc.
I'll dig around to find the right cable. There's a company in the UK that makes one apparently, but the link people post to the one I need no longer works. Maybe discontinued, though I will probably email them to confirm and look for alternatives if it's no longer being made.

Just went to the Triumph Dealer in Toronto, and they said they don't do ECU stuff. Seems strange because they need to run diagnostics on all of their bikes, but I guess that's simpler than having a fuel mapping system.

Lonelec used to carry the cable, but I can't find it now. Give Triumph Twin Power a try. I think his name is Mike, he's a good guy.

A generic eBay cable might work. Or not. You won't know until you try. With TTP, it's a certainty.

Lonelec used to carry the cable, but I can't find it now. Give Triumph Twin Power a try. I think his name is Mike, he's a good guy.

A generic eBay cable might work. Or not. You won't know until you try. With TTP, it's a certainty.
Oh THANK YOU!

This is exactly what I needed. Lonelec doesn’t seem to make them anymore, so I’ll definitely give TTP a look :)

I’m think I ultimately am going to try checking the map and uploading an arrow one to it if it’s not already done. My exhaust pops substantially when the bike is hot. I know a bit is expected, but I’d prefer a bit less if possible.

The upside to a relatively low output bike is he could shove a wideband probe up its clacker and watch the gauge while on the road. Saves the expense of the dyno and should identify any glaring problems (assuming the wideband gauge doesn't suck but that would be a problem on the dyno too).

Reactions: TK4
The upside to a relatively low output bike is he could shove a wideband probe up its clacker and watch the gauge while on the road. Saves the expense of the dyno and should identify any glaring problems (assuming the wideband gauge doesn't suck but that would be a problem on the dyno too).
And if there is an issue how you gonna fix it ? Reprogramming the ECU or adding something like a Power Commander - how do you know if what you changed worked ? You can identify and solve a lot of problems pretty quickly on a rolling road.

And if there is an issue how you gonna fix it ? Reprogramming the ECU or adding something like a Power Commander - how do you know if what you changed worked ? You can identify and solve a lot of problems pretty quickly on a rolling road.
I don't understand how the dyno is magically helpful. It definitely makes things easier as you can maintain higher power output without worrying about speed but the dyno has nothing to do with adjusting the map. However you adjust the map when strapped to the dyno, you can do exactly the same thing when testing on the road. I have a wide-band on a carbed vehicle and use it all the time to fiddle with the carb. Car has never been (and probably never will be) on a dyno.

I don't understand how the dyno is magically helpful. It definitely makes things easier as you can maintain higher power output without worrying about speed but the dyno has nothing to do with adjusting the map. However you adjust the map when strapped to the dyno, you can do exactly the same thing when testing on the road. I have a wide-band on a carbed vehicle and use it all the time to fiddle with the carb. Car has never been (and probably never will be) on a dyno.
It's just faster, that's all.

Hey another quick one for you!

Do you know if you need FTDI drivers on Android phones for the TTP cable? I ordered mine, just waiting for it to arrive, though don’t see any mention of Android drivers for it, only windows.

Still have to figure out if I’m going TuneECU or full TTP. TuneECU would require an android phone, and TTP software seems to be windows only (I have neither so it’s gonna be another purchase, or borrow from someone).

It seems TTP software is only for uploading their specific tunes - not sure if I can even disable O2 sensor on it if I needed to go that route.

2013+ Triumph ECU's can be tuned with TuneEcu. BUT, you have to use the Android version with a bluetooth dongle. The Windows version with a usb -> obd cable does not work. That setup is uselass on the 2013 bikes. I know this for a fact as I tried my Windows version TuneEcu setup on a 2013 Daytona 675R yesterday. Wouldn't connect at all.

2013+ Triumph ECU's can be tuned with TuneEcu. BUT, you have to use the Android version with a bluetooth dongle. The Windows version with a usb -> obd cable does not work. That setup is uselass on the 2013 bikes. I know this for a fact as I tried my Windows version TuneEcu setup on a 2013 Daytona 675R yesterday. Wouldn't connect at all.
Hmm weird. Everywhere I read that 2015 only works with hard wired cable and not with Bluetooth. Maybe 2013 was different for some reason

Ended up ordering a cable + Breathe Airbox cover + O2 Sensor block off and a #2 Tune from TTP.

Just waiting for all of the bits to come in - then I have to find someone with a windows computer I can borrow to install it :ROFLMAO:.

It's nice that TTP has their own software for disabling AI and O2 + installing maps and resetting everything. Hopefully shouldn't be too complicated... Provided I can find a laptop haha. I feel like buying a new computer just to install a map is a little excessive.

Ended up ordering a cable + Breathe Airbox cover + O2 Sensor block off and a #2 Tune from TTP.

Just waiting for all of the bits to come in - then I have to find someone with a windows computer I can borrow to install it :ROFLMAO:.

It's nice that TTP has their own software for disabling AI and O2 + installing maps and resetting everything. Hopefully shouldn't be too complicated... Provided I can find a laptop haha. I feel like buying a new computer just to install a map is a little excessive.
I don't have any laptops to give away but if you're near Barrie you can borrow a laptop to install the tune. Now, I'm not saying that riding somewhere and flashing and then riding home is a great idea but that's up to you.

Back
Top Bottom