Anyone here have an S4 | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone here have an S4

So much talk, so much wow, so much MEH.
The audi's life and blood died when they like all other manufacturers, ditched the v8's for forced induction and fuel mileage.

So in short, your once visceral, loud, emotional v8's are now replaced with muted, more powerful, FUEL EFFICIENT motors.
/dead

Everyone knows that v8's cure cancer, droppe le panties, and that v8 wagons are le SHEEEEIT.

Joking aside, one thing that I do know, whatever your "sports car" is at the end of the day, don't go gangster and hellaflush your car with stupid heavy rims and f!cken no-name brand tires. Make sure they're summer performance tires ala Michelin Pilot super sports and company, or your 4,000lbs barge will rear end my shitbox econobox on same tires. Talk about embarrassing!

Oh, one more thing, make sure you know how to drive your sports car. Like bikes, it's way more satisfying driving a slow car fast, than a fast car slow. Too many bro's these days that will blow by at triple digits only to become a rolling chicane because they don't understand weight-transfer on their Sailun/Triangle/Nexxannn tires.

I don't see the big appeal of these cars anymore. You spend a premium expecting these cars to be problem free but they are plagued with glitches. The last audi I drove lack the pure mechanical feel of driving, too much electronic aids & electronic hand brakes etc. I think most people get caught up in these cars for the bling factor or "look what I can afford".

Been there done that. I won't be getting those cars even if I had the $$

I like how there's always some kind of alternative explanation for why guys like nice cars. Can't we just like nice cars because they're... nice?

If you want fast AND well-appointed, you have few options besides luxury brands like Audi, BMW, Benz. For those who only want to own one car, it's nice to be able to buy a jack of all trades. The lower tiered manufacturers simply don't offer anything in the segment.

I like how there's always some kind of alternative explanation for why guys like nice cars. Can't we just like nice cars because they're... nice?

If you want fast AND well-appointed, you have few options besides luxury brands like Audi, BMW, Benz.

+1.

When i started looking i was considering the wrx sti, m3 (v8), focus st, golf r and the s4. None of those cars are in the same segment...i just like them for their sporty feel and 4 doors.

i like driving and want a car that is practical and one i can have fun with and make my own.

Personally I'd get the last M3 sedan with a v8. They're in the high 20s low 30s now

Sure. It's just happens to be fun to look at motivations and how far they can stray from real needs and why. We all have our own tunnel vision. Somebody elses' look retarded and that needs pointing out.

WRT that, BMW has not had a twin turbo 335 since 2009 and earlier. And people report the hpfp issue has now been resolved in those older twin turbo cars with newer pump designs. The 2010 and newer cars are not twin turbo. have the newer hpfp designs, and there has been no significant reporting these older issues with the 2010+ N55 cars.

As an owner of an N55 car.... Lol, no, the HPFP issue is still alive and kicking.

$800 for a pump is cheap and because these cars are easy to work on it should slip right in. 1/2 a months' take home pay should cover it.

Pretty sure BMW extended warranty coverage to 10 years and 120k (miles) for the HPFP problem so most owners will be just fine.

I just found it online, its a $300 part. Looks about a half days work to install, too. Hardly a deal-breaker, imo.

I just found it online, its a $300 part. Looks about a half days work to install, too. Hardly a deal-breaker, imo.

Except when it doesn't fail, but instead drops pressure, which lets the engine run lean and blows a hole in a piston.

No failsafe in place? That sounds stupid. You'd expect the dash to light up like a christmas tree if the engine leaned out to dangerous condition.

Pretty sure BMW extended warranty coverage to 10 years and 120k (miles) for the HPFP problem so most owners will be just fine.

Hurry up and buy a BMW so you can experience the 'greatness' of being on a first name basis with your mechanic.....

No failsafe in place? That sounds stupid. You'd expect the dash to light up like a christmas tree if the engine leaned out to dangerous condition.

I imagine it probably does. But that doesn't mean that damage wasn't done or that the driver won't ignore it.

People are using anecdotal and limited evidence to extrapolate, in this case to a big issue. Doing this is flawed, not good assessment nor logic. Research and see how commonly reported these problems are. Because it is the weight of evidence that counts. And the weight of evidence does not support significant hpfp issues for more recent cars such as the n55 bmws and especially the f30 n55's.

The weight of evidence shows much reporting of n54 hpfp issues early on; it stands out like a sore thumb. And one can also easily see that it has decreased significantly with updated and revised hpfps. There is much much less reporting of n55 issues, and those appear to basically have been isolated to early n55 cars. On top of that I can't find any significant reporting of F30 n55 hpfp issues.

As an owner of an N55 car.... Lol, no, the HPFP issue is still alive and kicking.
Let me guess. What year? Your own personal experience does not make it a model-wide issue. I know three friends with the N55 and none have had hpfp issues, including the 2011 model year and 70k km.

It's not a significant issue, and especially so for newer cars.

For example, search and see what is reported for F30 hpfp issues on the internet...

Yes, there have been a few N55 hpfp failures reported. But it is not significant. Not many N55 hpfp failures have been reported (and especially so in context to the number of N55 cars on the road). Looking at those failures it shows the N55 hpfp issues have pretty much been clustered in the 2011 or first year of the N55. This is not surprising with some more research. Some threads have mentioned the revised hpfp wasn't introduced in many of the early N55's. There you go.

A few people have posted they have had a failure of a revised hpfp (there are four revisions), but only a few. And I can't find any issues identified with the newest cars, the F30 and its hpfp.

As for the engine seizing from an hpfp failure, it technically can happen, but it is very rare and very very few people have reported it. Yes, the car has diagnostics which almost always prevent engine failure with hpfp issues. By far the common outcome of hpfp failure on the 335 cars is just poor running or non-running. The story of hpfp failures on the car causing engine seizures is technically possible and entertaining, but that's about it.

Even amongst all this, BMW Canada has extended warranty to the HPFP for ten years.

Last edited:
I don't see the big appeal of these cars anymore. You spend a premium expecting these cars to be problem free but they are plagued with glitches. The last audi I drove lack the pure mechanical feel of driving, too much electronic aids & electronic hand brakes etc. I think most people get caught up in these cars for the bling factor or "look what I can afford".

Been there done that. I won't be getting those cars even if I had the $$

I can understand the vanity angle for buying these cars.
If you are paying more for these cars then they should be bullet proof.
If you pay more then they drop like a brick in depreciation compared to the Japanese cars.

To each their own, just lease them...lol

Back
Top Bottom