Anyone get stopped in Oakville today at the spot check for exhausts ? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone get stopped in Oakville today at the spot check for exhausts ?

I have aftermarket slip ons.
I have no clue if they are "nowhere" near anything.
How did you find out your exhaust noise level is "nowhere near the illegal level"??
Just download a sound level app and measure yourself. I have Decibel X on iPhone.

Just download a sound level app and measure yourself.
I think that is a good start, but you also need to know the actual procedure standards as well what is pass and fail as it relates to the noise level.
Trying to find some exact info on this, anyone got any links?

Just download a sound level app and measure yourself.
That may be correct or it may mean nothing. Some of them are decent from around 50 to ~95 dBA but wildly inaccurate outside of that range, other combinations of software/hardware may not be accurate anywhere.

I think that is a good start, but you also need to know the actual procedure standards as well what is pass and fail as it relates to the noise level.
J2825 has the real procedure. The by-laws contain the abbreviated procedure they use. It's been a while but IIRC, microphone at 45 degrees back 0.5m from end of pipe at height of exhaust exit. Meter set to measure fast A-weighted. The real procedure includes higher engine speed, distance from reflective surfaces etc but I havent seen a by-law that picked up those points.

J2825 has the real procedure. The by-laws contain the abbreviated procedure they use. It's been a while but IIRC, microphone at 45 degrees back 0.5m from end of pipe at height of exhaust exit. Meter set to measure fast A-weighted. The real procedure includes higher engine speed, distance from reflective surfaces etc but I havent seen a by-law that picked up those points.
Yes I was reading that as well. Thanks!

Distance 0.5 metre
Height same as exhaust outlet
Angle in top view 45 degrees outboard of the exhaust outlet <- this combination precisely defines the measurement location
dBA scale, <edit: I thought it was to be on "slow" but could be wrong - see bylaw or J2825> response <- this defines the measurement scale
Open area without significant other noise sources or hard reflective surfaces other than the pavement/concrete of the surface that the bike is parked upon (In reality, the nature of sound measurements is that unless you are trying to do this test immediately adjacent to a concrete wall or almost the same distance away from a louder vehicle, other noise surfaces or reflective surfaces will hardly matter)

Supposed to be less than 92 dBA at idle.

The SAE J2825 test has another higher-RPM test, but it appears that most jurisdictions have abandoned trying to enforce it, because the RPM is near-impossible to validate in a way that can't be shot down in court.

That may be correct or it may mean nothing. Some of them are decent from around 50 to ~95 dBA but wildly inaccurate outside of that range, other combinations of software/hardware may not be accurate anywhere.
Apparently the target is 92 so it should give you a reasonable degree of certainty. Decibel X has an option to set it to A, B, C, or Z weighting.

The only thing to keep in mind is that SAE J2825 was introduce in 2009, revised in 2012, and reaffirmed last year (whatever that means). Everything (free) that I've been able to find has been before the 2012 revision.

Measurement with a phone app won't give you evidence that will stand up in court, but it ought to give you an idea whether you have nothing to worry about, or have a problem, or are in a grey area.

Decently long aftermarket muffler that still has effective packing should pass. Straight, unmuffled pipe won't pass. Cut-down shortie mufflers, or stylish small-diameter mufflers with a big inside diameter so that there is little volume for effective packing or other absorption, or mufflers designed to have packing in them but it's blown out or packed solid with carbon build-up ... could go either way.

....(mufflers ~18" long) I expect a pass....
...stock aftermarket exhaust with a can that is 18" or so long, expect to pass. If your can is <12" long, expect to fail....

Mine is 16 inches long (not factoring in the tip).
It will be closer to 18 otherwise - hope I'll be able to getaway!

20210530_125742-jpg.123580

IMO where you live will depend on which "group" of idiots is the core exhaust noise problem. Some sort of crackdown is absolutely required. I would like to see testing methods improved and maybe even a fine AND a must fix ticket--no plate renewal without returning for a fix test.

I live in the city on a residential secondary road. Biggest offenders here are the cruiser guys with open pipes that also tend to ride in a group that have bikes that must be so poorly tuned they need to keep revving the **** out of them to keep them running even when plotting along at 50 kph. The revving is even worse if they have to stop at a light. Out at all hours. It is not all one brand of bike but the worst are the making noise without horsepower since 1903 crowd, or something like that. Another recent trend with these guys is they also now seem to have blaring radios, that need to be extra loud to hear them over the exhaust while revving, completely ignorant crowd. The lower exhaust note also really echos.

Sport bikes and cars are less of a problem for us as the road has enough background traffic that they don't get opened up. I can totally see how this also ignorant group becomes a bigger problem for people that live near a highway or rural roads where things can be opened up. There is no area near the GTHA where opening up extra loud pipes does not impact people.

Muscle cars have the potential to be bad but there are much less of them now and the drivers less adolescent these days. Obviously on some roads people have big problems with trucks and Jake Brakes.

I really like a good exhaust note but it looks like stupid needs regulation. These guys would even be banned at many if not most race tracks. /rant

I have aftermarket slip ons.
I have no clue if they are "nowhere" near anything.
How did you find out your exhaust noise level is "nowhere near the illegal level"??
Because I ride a Suzuki Vstrom with an 18inch slip on 🤣

Cops got nothing better to do
I thought it was tough being a cop in the USofA. Looks like they don't get any slack for doing their job. Maybe we should defund our cops too and just do whatever seems right in our own eyes?

I thought it was tough being a cop in the USofA. Looks like they don't get any slack for doing their job. Maybe we should defund our cops too and just do whatever seems right in our own eyes?
I see this topic divides the GTAM community. As some one sitting on the fence with a leg on either side. I agree with many points. What I don't agree with is blaming the police for this. The problem clearly started with idiots, on sport bikes, cruisers and sport cars all creating a disturbance until the people that live in the area got fed up and demanded something be done about it. As tax payers they have this right, Driving/riding is NOT a right and sadly thanks to the few the many have to suffer. The many being the communities and fellow riders and the other communities that may follow suit, some for the noise issues and some for the cash flow. At this point it is an issue that will not go away..

I see this topic divides the GTAM community. As some one sitting on the fence with a leg on either side. I agree with many points. What I don't agree with is blaming the police for this. The problem clearly started with idiots, on sport bikes, cruisers and sport cars all creating a disturbance until the people that live in the area got fed up and demanded something be done about it. As tax payers they have this right, Driving/riding is NOT a right and sadly thanks to the few the many have to suffer. The many being the communities and fellow riders and the other communities that may follow suit, some for the noise issues and some for the cash flow. At this point it is an issue that will not go away..
The politicians passed the laws at the request of vocal residents that were fed up. Enforcement is actually quite difficult to do effectively. For instance, in Toronto, the police told the city that they had no time or budget to train or enforce this by-law so the city was either going to have to pay more or give something else up. By-law officers can't pull over vehicles so they need police help. In practice that means the by-law is enforced at checkpoints manned by police and by-law a few days a year. I expect similar laws and enforcement patterns to continue spreading throughout southern ontario.

Mine is 16 inches long (not factoring in the tip).
It will be closer to 18 otherwise - hope I'll be able to getaway!

With most newer bikes that have a pre-muffler and catalyst-box underneath the engine, that actually does most of the noise reduction, and the visible piece of the muffler in many cases is mostly decoration.

All bets are off if you've changed out the whole exhaust system and eliminated the pre-muffler and catalyst-box ... this also opens up the possibility of an emissions-tampering ticket (seldom enforced on motorcycles thus far)

If sound test is done @ idle, this won't get rid of those idiots with freaking obnoxious decel pops....I find that noise more intrusive than those not knowing how to get into 2nd gear.

Back
Top Bottom