Anyone get stopped in Oakville today at the spot check for exhausts ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone get stopped in Oakville today at the spot check for exhausts ?

pfbmgd

I was just pulling into Oakville from Burlinton on Lakeshore by the beer store . A guy approached me at the lights . He told me up ahead police were pulling bikes over and cheking their mufflers . Mine are EPA legal but aftermarket . I didn't feel like wasting and hour in discussion . So I went around the the spot check .

Yuck, I would get dinged for sure. Glad I missed it.

I was just pulling into Oakville from Burlinton on Lakeshore by the beer store . A guy approached me at the lights . He told me up ahead police were pulling bikes over and cheking their mufflers . Mine are EPA legal but aftermarket . I didn't feel like wasting and hour in discussion . So I went around the the spot check .
Cops got nothing better to do

what does EPA legal mean?

Looks like @Trials found another hobby

When? And what was the test.
Think it was October. They setup a decimal metre and tested his results at idle.

He has an Austin racing pipe with cat delete on his fz09.

Oakville has a motorcycle noise level bylaw: Excessive Motorcycle Noise

This should have been a dB check. Nothing to do with original equipment or aftermarket or EPA-marked or anything else. If too loud, fail. If below the allowed limit, pass. (And that, conceptually, is as it should be.)
You say that, But the conditions also has to be met for testing procedures that was proven in court a few yrs back when they tried that crap in Caledon.

Most got ditched in court and thrown to the curb

75. (1) Every motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and excessive smoke, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device upon a motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (1).

You say that, But the conditions also has to be met for testing procedures that was proven in court a few yrs back when they tried that crap in Caledon.

Most got ditched in court and thrown to the curb
conditions?

to my knowledge, depending on the municipality they only need suspicion to pull you over and administer the test.

It's the people/residents requesting it. Become a bigger issue in Toronto, this will only fan out to smaller communities.
Again it always boils down to the stupid doing dumb things to annoy others off. 🤷‍♂️
Yup. Bikes with aftermarket exhaust can easily pass the test if they aren't trying to be an a-hole. Expect GP exhausts and straight pipes to fail, expect most normal aftermarket exhausts to pass. If there weren't so many ***** riding around with GP exhaust or straight pipes revving the hell out of their engines, these tests never would have made it into by-laws.

It means it replaces original equiptment and meets emissions standarts .
They do not care at all about markings on the pipe. If your exhaust is reasonably similar to a factory exhaust, expect to pass with no issues. Even if you have a louder than stock aftermarket exhaust with a can that is 18" or so long, expect to pass. If your can is <12" long, expect to fail. Obviously generalities and muffler design/construction can make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom