Anyone free on Thu (22nd) post 5pm to check out a bike around Oakville? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone free on Thu (22nd) post 5pm to check out a bike around Oakville?

voyageur

Site Supporter
Hey folks,

Checking if anyone is free this Thursday post 5 pm to take a look at a motorcycle in Oakville? The price is good (unlike the usual Kijiji ads) and the owner said he wants to move it asap. He is even willing to get it safetied which kind of gives me a hope maybe...just maybe...this might be the one lol.

Would love a pair of experienced eyes look at it to ensure I don't miss out on anything! Coffee and Donuts on me...

Cheers!

ask for the VIN for the bike. And get the VIP ($20.00?) from Service Ontario and check out the bike history for yourself before you check the bike in person. Don't give him any money/deposit before the safety is done.
Don't care if he wants to move it asap. You take your time!

Have you ever bought a motorcycle before from a private seller? Showing up to look at a bike with a random person you don't really would be a bit odd. If you're concerned about the condition of the bike and don't know what to look for then perhaps pay a licensed mechanic to accompany you to look over the bike. But that'll cost you.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Have you ever bought a motorcycle before from a private seller? Showing up to look at a bike with a random person you don't really would be a bit odd. If you're concerned about the condition of the bike and don't know what to look for then perhaps pay a licensed mechanic to accompany you to look over the bike. But that'll cost you.

I did precisely this when I bought my first bike, asked @frekeyguy to come inspect it, paid him a small fee and asked him to put on new tires

ask for the VIN for the bike. And get the VIP ($20.00?) from Service Ontario and check out the bike history for yourself before you check the bike in person. Don't give him any money/deposit before the safety is done.
The seller mentioned that he had a carfax report, but yeah I'll get the VIN no and get a VIP from Service Ontario. Not worried about walking away from the sale, just that the price was too good to be true!

Funny you ask me this, I just realized I have never bought a motorcycle from a private seller. Always been from people I have known (cousin, friend etc). I'm not new to riding, but I'm new in Canada. So kind of limited in terms of people I know here.

Previously, I looked at a motorcycle with Frekeyguy from here and I paid for his service. very knowledgable chap I must say and he found something that I missed. He isn't responding to my message so I'm guessing he is busy. If you know any mechanics who would be willing to go, I can pay for it as well.

Ask the seller not to warm the bike up before you get there. Make sure the engine is stone cold when you start it up for the first time.
Always!!!
Nice looking bike. Good luck.
I know right. And by Kijiji standards, it's priced low lol. The other day I saw someone list a 2014 SV for 7k and a new bike costs 7K + tax (without ABS). Now that is some optimistic pricing

OP - Legally, the seller must provide you with the UVIP. Ask him to get it if he doesn't already, and send you a pic in advance so you can review it.

If you post the year, make, model, someone experienced with it might chime in on what to look for. Or better yet, ask on a specific forum.

By the way, bring your own lighting so you're not relying on whatever the seller may or may not have in their garage or on their driveway. Easy to miss stuff in the shadows.

OP - Legally, the seller must provide you with the UVIP. Ask him to get it if he doesn't already, and send you a pic in advance so you can review it.

If you post the year, make, model, someone experienced with it might chime in on what to look for. Or better yet, ask on a specific forum.
Correct, but the seller said he had a carfax so didn't bother asking about UVIP. Will do when I'm going to have a look at the motorcycle. However, I'll get the carfax report beforehand.
The SVs post '04 are pretty solid in terms of reliability. Unless abused and if periodically maintained there should be nothing that should go wrong.

By the way, bring your own lighting so you're not relying on whatever the seller may or may not have in their garage or on their driveway. Easy to miss stuff in the shadows.
Cheers will do...thank you!

*UPDATE*

Hey folks, thanks for everyone's help and insights. I was able to pick up that SV today. It didn't have any major problems (by the look and feel of it - I'll know it soon enough), just some scratches. Overall, it was a decent buy.

Huge shoutout to @frekeyguy without whom this transaction wouldn't have been so smooth. I was on the sidelines and the seller thought he was buying the bike. :LOL:

Also, came out on a Sunday morning to pick up my motorcycle and drop it off, despite having some stuff to do. I would totally recommend his services to anyone.

Back
Top Bottom