Anyone done a Fly and Ride | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone done a Fly and Ride

Amazing what can fall from the sky, I have opportunity to work in Kelowna for a couple of weeks on sort of an exchange with another company.
So the destination to fly to is a given, just have to figure best route via plane to get there, I don't know if Kelowna has an airport that connects with Toronto? anybody? Now comes the ride part, has anybody rented from a company in Kelowna? and does the private renters (BikeBNB) have a network node there? Here comes the homework. If anybody has any information on this paticular Fly to Kelowna, ride the local Mountains, please I would appreciate input. Meanwhile I start I'll start researching. Note to person who flew bike, I have my ninja and a harley deuce, do you have contact info for who shipped yours, if so, did weight factor, ninja = light, harley = heavy. Cheers

Kelowna has an "international airport", although it's a small one. Getting there may involve a few skips and jumps. Go on www.westjet.com or www.aircanada.com and try to book a flight there and see if it will let you. Failing that, go to a discount flight-planning site like www.flightnetwork.com and enter your origin and destination and search for flights to see who flies there (although having gone through what I went through, I'd recommend booking directly with the airline, not with a discount online travel planner). Finding a rental motorcycle in the vicinity of the airport ... is on you. Work paying? Taxi!

So far and since i can pick my days (Tuesday leave and come back) is around 800 to Kelowna and back 1 stop in Calagary.
Kelowna Harley rents 7 days 200 day 7th free, unlimited mileage, helmet , rainsuit, road assistance or BMW F750 GS 165 a day they have a factory lowered option??? seem to be the only 2 options

Iceland would be a good choice to dip your toe in the water.

Cheap enough to get there and a fabulous place.

The cost of the motorcycle shipping was not based on weight of the bike ( within reason ) it was a flat rate. I don't know who is doing it post covid. Suggest you call AirCanada and West Jet.

This one is a broker that as stated below puts out the tender with the criteria i specify
What happens next:

Our network of over 60,000 transport providers will be alerted of your request and start placing their quotes which will then be emailed to you immediately.

As many of our transport providers are already making similar journeys and often have space which would otherwise just be wasted, the prices they submit will be very low - up to 75% off standard rates.

After you've received some quotes you're free to view feedback scores, ask questions and compare prices before making an informed decision on which quote you want to accept.

And remember, the price you see is the price you pay with Shiply, there are no extra fees or credit card charges.

Happy Shipping!.

The Shiply customer support team is available Monday-Friday 9am-6pm by email support-ca@shiply.com.

Yours Truly,
Shiply

Flew into Bangkok Thailand in 2017, after some tourist stuff I took the overnight train to Chiangmai. Rented a 250 ninja and did 1,864 curves over 5 days.

Plan to go back next spring.

I did the Golden Triangle ages ago on a rented NC30 (400 cc version of the RC30 - such an amazing bike). What an experience. My only issue is I didn't bring any gear, and finding quality gear in Chiang Mai that fit a big farang was a laughable impossibility, so I ended up taking things much more easy than I would have liked. If anyone goes. bring your own...

I did the Golden Triangle ages ago on a rented NC30 (400 cc version of the RC30 - such an amazing bike). What an experience. My only issue is I didn't bring any gear, and finding quality gear in Chiang Mai that fit a big farang was a laughable impossibility, so I ended up taking things much more easy than I would have liked. If anyone goes. bring your own...
Decent gear choices these days, the one that you get for free is pretty ratty to worse. I usually bring my own helmet and leave it there for them to store. The one Brit owned shop changed hands few years ago and it was little bit of a shitshow, but that one by the main gate is solid. You can rent all the way upto African Twins and package jungle tours these days.

Cambodia is also good for the jungle/ruins ride. Vietnam is nuts, buy a 150 cc Honda for like $2k, ride it from north to south, sell it for $1600 and call it a day.

Malaysia has the best of both worlds, amazing roads, good infrastructure, modern bikes but the prices reflect that. One of the best motorcycle friendly country I've been to.

Found this in my search​

Fly Your Bike - Air Canada

https://www.aircanada.com › documents › shipping

PDF

Motorcycles can be flown to and from the following cities: • Calgary. • Athens ... Air Canada passengers wishing to book air transport for motorcycles, and. j
Dude, with all the craziness happening at the Global airports, I don't think that this is the time to fly your bike out man. But yea, it's a good option and my friend flew his bike to Germany and rode Western Europe and brought it back without any issues back in 2018 or so.

So far and since i can pick my days (Tuesday leave and come back) is around 800 to Kelowna and back 1 stop in Calagary.
Kelowna Harley rents 7 days 200 day 7th free, unlimited mileage, helmet , rainsuit, road assistance or BMW F750 GS 165 a day they have a factory lowered option??? seem to be the only 2 options
Do either include a luggage rack? What do you plan on carrying with you on the bike?

Do either include a gps or phone mount with charger?

Both have been good features to have when I've rented. Have you rode big cruisers before. I never had when I rented my first time and it took a bit to get used to.

These folks have some interesting options:

Decent gear choices these days, the one that you get for free is pretty ratty to worse. I usually bring my own helmet and leave it there for them to store. The one Brit owned shop changed hands few years ago and it was little bit of a shitshow, but that one by the main gate is solid. You can rent all the way upto African Twins and package jungle tours these days.

Cambodia is also good for the jungle/ruins ride. Vietnam is nuts, buy a 150 cc Honda for like $2k, ride it from north to south, sell it for $1600 and call it a day.

Malaysia has the best of both worlds, amazing roads, good infrastructure, modern bikes but the prices reflect that. One of the best motorcycle friendly country I've been to.
I was there in 2005/6, and options were severely limited. There may have been lots I missed, though, as my planning was minimal. We were only supposed to be in the north for a few days, but we fell in love with Chiang Mai and had an incredible guest house, so ended up staying for almost the whole trip, bookended with the insanity of Bangkok. People are still puzzled when I tell them I went to Thailand and didn't even see a beach.

Even back then I was an XXL, and considering Thai XL is about the equivalent of M here, it wasn't even close. If memory serves, I scrounged a jean jacket that barely did up and some leather work gloves to go with an old Shoei that was about two sizes too big. May have been for the best, as it kept me slow on those amazing roads...

I was there in 2005/6, and options were severely limited. There may have been lots I missed, though, as my planning was minimal. We were only supposed to be in the north for a few days, but we fell in love with Chiang Mai and had an incredible guest house, so ended up staying for almost the whole trip, bookended with the insanity of Bangkok. People are still puzzled when I tell them I went to Thailand and didn't even see a beach.

Even back then I was an XXL, and considering Thai XL is about the equivalent of M here, it wasn't even close. If memory serves, I scrounged a jean jacket that barely did up and some leather work gloves to go with an old Shoei that was about two sizes too big. May have been for the best, as it kept me slow on those amazing roads...
Chiang Mai is my spiritual home, miss her too much and hoping to be there soon. 2005, I can only imagine, right now, they have a Ferrari dealership and all the bike guys are there too. Plenty of choices for gear from the Chinese market, but good luck with the size if you're not a medium at best. While I was living there, I was doing the Chiang mai to Pai ride like once a week. Still surprised that I still have all my limbs and life ;)

Absolutely.

IMTbike is excellent. www.imtbike.com

Between the first part of that trip in which I did my own thing, and the second part which was a Leod Escapes tour, I spent three weeks in Spain. Forget about trying to do this in a weekend or a few days. It's not enough.

I didn't care what it cost. Riding in Spain, spending 3 days on a world-class racetrack with world-class instruction ... priceless.
+1 for IMT in Spain. Rented an R1200RT from their Barcelona office in 2012 and had a great experience

I would also recommend Adriatic Moto Tours. We did a wonderful tour with them through Slovenia (where they're based) Northern Croatia and The Dolomite's in 2014. They also rent.

Don't get fooled by the CIMT website, they've gone under, taking my deposit with them. Booked with them just before Covid started, to do 5 weeks starting in Rome, around Southern Italy, Sicily, Sardinia & Corsica. That obviously never happened. Doing the trip this September, booked the bike with HertzRides. Got a good price and personal service, but even though there may be some association with Hertz, they don't appear to be a big outfit. We'll see how it goes, fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom