Anybody use their smartphone as a bike GPS? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anybody use their smartphone as a bike GPS?

i have a iphone 3gs on my 07 gsxr with a ram stem mount. check out their site, they have A LOT to offer!! no charger for it though...yet!!

Be careful with that setup, the vibrations can can cause some damage to your phone, I used mine for a trip, and it kept vibrating the sim card out. My phone hasn't been the same since, the UI of the phone is a lot slower.

I have an Iphone 3gs
Use an MV ram mount and iphone holder

CIMG4522Large.jpg

Software in Navigon, aprox $60 at app store. Seemed expensive but when compared with a garmin system, about $130 for a decent one, plus you always have this with you so no need for extra hardware and cables, not too bad.

navigonmobilenavigator-lg2.jpg

Kills battery pretty quick so I have a backup battery pack.

0820_kensington_lg_800.jpg

Be careful with that setup, the vibrations can can cause some damage to your phone, I used mine for a trip, and it kept vibrating the sim card out. My phone hasn't been the same since, the UI of the phone is a lot slower.

What kind of phone were you using?

Motorola Droid and Droid X so far.

The X work the best because of screen size. Will have more phone for testing or maybe a tablet this season...

I have a 12v usb adapter cable connected from the battery, then dump the whole thing into my tankbag clear map pocket. In my riding experience I rarely look at it. The sunlight and the clear map pocket make it hard to read. If I ever need it i usually stop my bike, look at it and memorize next couple routes.

I've used both my iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 without issue, in a RAM mount. Since I use my phone with a case, the mounts don't fit all that well, and I don't want to have to take it out of the case to use it so I'm going to see if I can find a cheap refurbed GPS that I can dedicate to the bike.

I used to use my HTC Touch, connected to Scala Rider, enter the address I wanted to go to, let it guide me through the headset in helmet. Could even take a call at the same time. Phone was in pocket, no need to look at it.

I've used both my iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 without issue, in a RAM mount. Since I use my phone with a case, the mounts don't fit all that well, and I don't want to have to take it out of the case to use it so I'm going to see if I can find a cheap refurbed GPS that I can dedicate to the bike.

fyi there is a new company that seems to be making RAM mounts with case compatibility for a variety of smartphones.
http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-eGeneralMerch/-strse-RAM-Mount-Compatible/Categories.bok

I might be trying this setup with my Captivate when I get the $$$.

Software in Navigon, aprox $60 at app store. Seemed expensive but when compared with a garmin system, about $130 for a decent one, plus you always have this with you so no need for extra hardware and cables, not too bad.

Does Navigon allow you to download maps locally so you're not using up your data plan? I can't find any information on the subject but it's potentially a pretty huge cost if you have to use data, especially in the US.

Does Navigon allow you to download maps locally so you're not using up your data plan? I can't find any information on the subject but it's potentially a pretty huge cost if you have to use data, especially in the US.

Navigon won't use any data at all, it uses the built in gps in the phone, i use tomtom on my iphone 4 which works great

I bought that slipgrip mount for my captivate, im just waiting for my otterbox commuter case to come in to give this setup a try

that's fantastic! Now I don't have to play guinea pig :D . What software are you going to use? I was thinking of acquiring co-pilot for navi for the offline maps mode. Keep us posted!

that's fantastic! Now I don't have to play guinea pig :D . What software are you going to use? I was thinking of acquiring co-pilot for navi for the offline maps mode. Keep us posted!

Im on a family plan with 1GB of shared data so im thinking ill just use google maps/navigation as they dont use a whole lot of bandwith. Im more of a commuter with my bike so i won't be using the maps/navigation enough to be concerned with bandwidth limits. I hope my case comes in before this weekend, then I can give it a test run this weekend with the nice weather :)

Navigon won't use any data at all, it uses the built in gps in the phone, i use tomtom on my iphone 4 which works great

I understand it won't use the data to locate itself, but will it use data to illustrate maps as you go or does it pull that from saved memory in the phone?

all the 3rd party navigation apps will use maps stored locally on the device. I think TomTom has traffic, that would pull from the internet, but I think you can turn that off. I'm going to the states this weekend to do some shopping and pick up my tires, I plan to use TomTom while I'm there.

I understand it won't use the data to locate itself, but will it use data to illustrate maps as you go or does it pull that from saved memory in the phone?

Navigon will use NO DATA unless you enable traffic. I use it in the US all the time and my data, data roaming etc. is turned off.

Back
Top Bottom