Any Sportster Riders? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any Sportster Riders?

I think that is where the Sportster shines, is with customization. It is like HD's version of the Grom where you can turn it into anything you wish.

Not to get you confused or anything, but given the choice between a CB500x and a 1200 Sportster, I would take the Sportster. It's a bike that will last forever if you take care of it. If it breaks down parts are quickly available. Also, the vibration on a Harley beats the 'buzz' you get from a lot of offshore plastic bikes - the buzz that makes your hands go numb. It doesn't happen on a Harley because the V-twin vibration is a low frequency vibe. Sportsters like all Harleys are solid, with very little plastic.
I think most bikes will last forever if taken care of. For longevity a Honda is hard to beat.

We talked offline but for the GTAM crowd many of the Sportsters "failings" can be fixed, but then it has been sort of turned into a different bike so one might as well start there if this is the end goal.... Many have already been echoed in this thread.
  • Raise the rear to get more rear travel and to de-slack the geometry a bit for slightly quicker handling.
  • Minor seat and seat frame changes.
  • Larger tank to increase range.
  • Small front fairing for better highway riding comfort.
  • "Drag" bars or at least slightly lower rise ones.
  • Depending on the specific sub model improve the suspension and brakes.
  • Move the pegs and controls a little rearward.
  • Exhaust upgrade for more power not more noise, there are some interesting 2 into 1 options.
  • Some other minor technical items.... cosmetics are to choice.
  • Still heavy (but slightly less) and still buzzy at certain RPMs.
Once that is all done you have the equivalent of a US made two cylinder UJM or maybe just a really heavy Buell. Sort of a philosophical question for a new to you buy if this is the goal. What is interesting is Harley has over the decades done much of the above every now and again and those models were generally sales flops (it is not like they don't know the technical short comings). One person's engineering failure is another person's desired or marketing "character". Otherwise we would all be riding the same bike. A plus, there is huge aftermarket support and much of the above are bolt on items.

I have one coming via an inheritance (COVID), some of the above has already been done, my current plan is to finish the job and to fix the engineering, sort of a challenge. It is not about financial practicality and I am not buying the starting point.

Last edited:
EDIT: Harley website says their 2021 rental program is cancelled.
You might want to just call and speak to someone in sales for test ride. Even if they officially canned the demo days, it looks like the test rides are still possible. At least for the Pan American. Might be possible for other models.

Unfortunately, one of the things it cant be turned into is a competent motorcycle.
It already is, But everyone is allowed an opinion.

This is the the sportster I've wanted to create for years, but haven't made the commitment to spend the money. I absolutely LOVE IT but I'm too cheap, or at least I have been but......:

View attachment 49209

Jeebus that's a big sprocket. Top speed would be low but weeeee when you whack it open.

Jeebus that's a big sprocket. Top speed would be low but weeeee when you whack it open.
If you look at the chain the front one is also big (extrapolate behind the exhaust). It is a conversion from belt drive which likely also had equally big "sprockets".

On the plus side chains on bigger sprockets have less friction than on smaller ones.

Back
Top Bottom