Any new insurance avenues for small bikes? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any new insurance avenues for small bikes?

Mikel

Looking at buying a 110 for the little ones. Will anyone insure it?

Or I’m stuck riding at gopher dunes and 15 practice?

Looking at buying a 110 for the little ones. Will anyone insure it?

Or I’m stuck riding at gopher dunes and 15 practice?
If it's street legal, it will be OK. I just picked up a little DT50cc Enduro, it's last owner was plated and insured, riding it regularly around town.

Last year I bought two KLX 140Gs for my kids, green plated obviously.

I could not insure them so as to be able to put them on the trails legally. I called maybe a dozen companies, and OFTR. Most of them told me that either they would a) not touch dirt bikes, or b) that they wouldn't touch dirt bikes less than 150cc because they are dangerous . I even spoke to a broker who specializes in dirt bike insurance and in fact posts a lot on the OFTR and related forums - same story. I asked one incredulously: "so you mean if I bought a bigger bike, my kids will be safer on them?".

One company would insure them but the premium was ludicrous - if I recall like thousands of dollars each.

OFTR said pretty much the only thing I could do was ride dirty.

I returned the bikes for a $500 loss, having ridden them for a grand total of maybe 100m each. Knowing what the market was, I knew I could have flipped them for a profit easily but I did not want to pass my problem on to some sucker down the road.

Dealer turned around and flipped them before I had even brought the bikes back.

Luckily a few months later I found another dealer who had two (2!) KLX 230Rs, which I bought. Insuring them was a snap, and for peanuts. It makes no sense.

Back
Top Bottom