Any Hyundai / GENESIS techs or people here? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any Hyundai / GENESIS techs or people here?

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Cousin has a bit of a pickle with his 2018 G80. Went in for a recall R0255 which includes for an oil line fix to the turbo. He said the car was there for over a week with no info, and when he came home he didn't notice that the car was leaking coolant (or something) underneath.

Him being him, he drove off and then within a few min the car starts going crazy with beeping and sensor warnings. He pulled over and the car spewed out 'Engine has overheated'. When he got home in his base Tucson loaner, he found a large pool of liquid (assuming it's coolant) on his garage floor.

Dealership is saying that they didn't touch anything with regards to coolant lines and it's just a coincidence, but I'm not having luck finding the recall details as to what they actually do with that recall, what they touch, and how they go about fixing it (unless I'm bad at searching).

My Volt bulletin was easy to find with step by step instructions for the techs on how to fix the STP issue.

Any help highly appreciated.

I'm assuming 3.3 L?

"I did have the turbo oil line TSB repair done ~ Oct 2019 / 20K miles. That TSB required the engine being pulled. I expect the same for this repair. I hypothesize the oil line was damaged, bent or weakened during this repair. Even more frustrating is dealer did not have any loaner vehicles. I had to go rent a car "on my own nickel". I'm going to contact Genesis for reimbursement."
"Dealer was able to partially drop the engine versus the entire sub-frame making repair "quicker". So far everything seems good"

"Damn, that oil feed tube repair is a biggy, dropping the motor and a 12 hr labor time. "

so here’s the failed turbo oil pipe feed. Not sure how it got burst but after replacing it with a new pipe, my stinger is all good to go no more leak
"Yeah they dropped my engine."
There is a confirmed report of a Kia mechanic stating that the engine does not have to be dropped. It can be done as in place repair. It is a four hour job on average. But. They do have to remove just about everything on that side of the engine to get access including dropping part of the exhaust.
I stopped by my Kia service shop with the notice to see what they could tell me about it. They already had some of the parts arrive, but the special tooling for the job wasn't there yet. Curious what a tool like that would even look like. Also while the job takes 3-4 hours, they have to let the engine and turbos cool down once you bring it in, so it becomes a full day job
From the top. Right above and behind the left turbo (left hand-side from the drivers seat) and above the primary cat. There are two coolant lines that cover the oil line making it next to impossible to see but with a borescope you should be able to get a view of it.

And here's probably the winner link. This is for a stinger but same motor, same problem. Coolant drained, radiator hoses removed. F those guys. Escalate to corporate asap.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom