Any Hunters or bushcrafters? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any Hunters or bushcrafters?

Are there any other riders here that hunt or do bushcraft?
For possibly controversial reasons, I decided to learn to bushcraft, as well as to hunt.
I've been watching bushcraft videos on YouTube for several years, and been slowly gathering equipment. I've also been watching tutorials on field dressing turkey, rabbit and deer. I got my hunting license a couple months ago and I've recently picked up my first firearm, a crossbow, and got it sighted in at 30 yards. I attend the non-registered and registered gun course this weekend, then next weekend I'll be taking two of my kids camping, bushcraft-style, for 4 nights. No tent or sleeping bags, just a few cloth tarps, wool blankets, supplies, and hopes that I recall what I've learned. These are skills I never had the opportunity to learn, but want my kids to learn early.
I also picked up a turkey tag hoping there are turkeys in the area that we will be camping in. We'll spend some time away from our camp with some camo-netting and a turkey call, and hope to get a meal and a souvenir.
I have no hunters in my family, and have no close friends who hunt, to go with zero experience, so I welcome any tips or advice. Mostly, good places in Southern Ontario, or how to approach and compensate a farmer/land-owner.
Not a camper but I do hunt. If you don’t have any friends or family with land, the best way is to knock on doors and ask. Be prepared for a lot of no”s. If you’re mechanically inclined you could offer your services, or help out a few days on the farm. Clear bush, pick up big rocks from their fields etc. some farmers will want cash. It will also help if you joined an organization such as CSSA or OFAH as they provide liability insurance as part of their membership. Also make sure you check the Regs for the WMU you plan on hunting in. Then re check, as there are variances between them.

Don’t over do the turkey call, patients is where it’s at.

Nice day on the water today! 6 over 36” this aft, big deal of the day was 41”. Dana Lake, East of Timmins.
IMG_1411.jpeg

You might want to watch some of the Alone TV series....there are some seriously good bushcrafters on there.
and some of the back stories show how they prepped for the show.

you might have to chase where to watch it.
Of all the skills fishing and fire making were critical. Some of the shelters that were built tho were astonishing ....and they were out there on their own for up to 100 days in marginal to terrible weather. I enjoyed it.
I've seen the Alaskan season. It was good, informative. I was disappointed in Donny's early exit. I thought he'd win it easily. I want be watching another season though because the editing for dramatic effect is annoying, but more because I watched to pickup tips for myself, and the editing mostly shows what is done while the 'how' is cut out. The show puts most of the focus on the suffering while I also want to see the troubleshooting, techniques, strategies, plans, etc.. I'm not saying they don't show some of that stuff, but the focus is definitely elsewhere.

Not a camper but I do hunt. If you don’t have any friends or family with land, the best way is to knock on doors and ask. Be prepared for a lot of no”s. If you’re mechanically inclined you could offer your services, or help out a few days on the farm. Clear bush, pick up big rocks from their fields etc. some farmers will want cash. It will also help if you joined an organization such as CSSA or OFAH as they provide liability insurance as part of their membership. Also make sure you check the Regs for the WMU you plan on hunting in. Then re check, as there are variances between them.

Don’t over do the turkey call, patients is where it’s at.
Great advice, thanks.
I just completed the non-restricted, and restricted, gun courses (brag: 100% on all 4 test!) and learned that you can get hunting insurance with $5M liability for very cheap. I'm sure any land owner willing to entertain the idea would require this, and it will help when approaching a land owner.

Great advice, thanks.
I just completed the non-restricted, and restricted, gun courses (brag: 100% on all 4 test!) and learned that you can get hunting insurance with $5M liability for very cheap. I'm sure any land owner willing to entertain the idea would require this, and it will help when approaching a land owner.
Hunting isn't a huge survival skill unless you're isolated for long periods. You can pack 2 weeks of sustenance in a very small kit, and once that's gone, you can go at a normal pace for another 2 weeks without food.

I'd be focusing on developing skills that help with shelter, ways to supply yourself with drinking water, and finding relief from biting insects.

Nice day on the water today! 6 over 36” this aft, big deal of the day was 41”. Dana Lake, East of Timmins.
View attachment 67578
We removed all but the rear hook on our Raps, and those we switched to a 1/0 barbless treble because 2-3 pound pike were becoming nuisance catches -- they were slamming every cast.

Hunting isn't a huge survival skill unless you're isolated for long periods. You can pack 2 weeks of sustenance in a very small kit, and once that's gone, you can go at a normal pace for another 2 weeks without food.

I'd be focusing on developing skills that help with shelter, ways to supply yourself with drinking water, and finding relief from biting insects.
After a walk through crown land last week, I think biting insects will be much worse than I anticipated. Water and shelter I've been learning and preparing for. Insect, not so much. I hate to use chemicals so I'll research natural alternatives, like types of plants, or dirt/mud.

After a walk through crown land last week, I think biting insects will be much worse than I anticipated. Water and shelter I've been learning and preparing for. Insect, not so much. I hate to use chemicals so I'll research natural alternatives, like types of plants, or dirt/mud.
Insect protection is a bit like element protection. Learn to layer clothing that works for temperature and insect control. Sometimes you'll have to resign to being uncomfortable -- either getting eaten or -- sleeping in long sleeves and pants, a bug helmet, and latex gloves in 30C muggy heat.

I really dislike biting insects. Thermacell and deet are my best friends.

Coated clothing works quite well Marks has it it is chemical.

Sent from the future

There’s a deet alternative now. Crappy Tire sells it. I like my thermacells though and if you really want to be picky the active ingredient in those (permethrin) can be found in plants.

There’s a deet alternative now. Crappy Tire sells it. I like my thermacells though and if you really want to be picky the active ingredient in those (permethrin) can be found in plants.
You can buy permethrin in the US. My brother may use it for tick control by soaking a cotton ball and putting that in a toilet paper roll. Ticks climb in and die (theoretically, he wouldnt be using prohibited substances).

Last edited:
You can buy persevering in the US. My brother may use it for tick control by soaking a cotton ball and putting that in a toilet paper roll. Ticks climb in and die (theoretically, he wouldnt be using prohibited substances).
You can buy it here at Peavey Mart as well as a horse care product.

Sent from the future

Back
Top Bottom