Any Honda CB250 owners? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any Honda CB250 owners?

elizabethgypsy

Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone here is an owner (or previous owner) of an 80's Honda CM250? If so I'd like to pick your brain! Hope this is the right area to post this in!

Cheers

Welcome to the forum. What is it you'd like to know?
Jeremy

Welcome to the forum. What is it you'd like to know?
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, thanks! I`m looking at a 1984 CM250 as my first bike, and just had some questions about parts availability, and maintenance. I`ve done some reading about them, and one of the biggest concerns I see brought up is the belt - no longer available new. The one I`m eyeing has been converted to chain, so that`s covered. It`s safetied so nothing needs fixing now, but I am concerned if I need to replace parts next year etc, they will be harder to find than say a newer Honda rebel. Any insight?

I am building a 1984 Cb250 for my wife right now. Cool little bikes

They seem like a perfect bike for me, first time rider and smaller female. How are you finding parts availability? I've heard there is a mechanic in Toronto who specializes in vintage Hondas, but I'd like to do *most* of the work myself.

This would be a good bike for you. Lots of parts still available ie brakes, bearings, air filter etc. Bike bandit has a huge parts section for them. Having said that, unless the price for the bike is very cheap, you may want to go newer. I own an 85 Honda goldwing, no problem to get parts. These little bikes run forever, if the price is right, jump on it.
Jeremy

This would be a good bike for you. Lots of parts still available ie brakes, bearings, air filter etc. Bike bandit has a huge parts section for them. Having said that, unless the price for the bike is very cheap, you may want to go newer. I own an 85 Honda goldwing, no problem to get parts. These little bikes run forever, if the price is right, jump on it.
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, thanks for the input! He's listed it for $900, which seems reasonable to me - what do you think?
Good to hear parts are readily available!
Elizabeth

That is a very clean, well kept bike (by appearance). I'd definitely have a look at it, see how it runs etc. Known to be a very reliable engine, my ex had one many moons ago, she ran it up to 50000 km, no real issues. Looks like it's missing a side panel, probably get one at Zdenos cycle. I'd show him $700 cash and see what happens.
Jeremy

That is a very clean, well kept bike (by appearance). I'd definitely have a look at it, see how it runs etc. Known to be a very reliable engine, my ex had one many moons ago, she ran it up to 50000 km, no real issues. Looks like it's missing a side panel, probably get one at Zdenos cycle. I'd show him $700 cash and see what happens.
Jeremy

Being new to bikes, I feel like such a noob, but it's good to learn - which photo shows the missing side panel? Thank you for your advice! I'm hoping to get a gearhead friend to come with me to check it out.

Edit - think I see what you mean, on right side under the seat?

Last edited:
Yep, right side under seat. Doesn't change a thing as far as running etc, but does affect the look. Shouldn't be too hard too find if he doesn't have it, but you'd have to find it used. There is a list of cycle salvage yards around here.

Yep, right side under seat. Doesn't change a thing as far as running etc, but does affect the look. Shouldn't be too hard too find if he doesn't have it, but you'd have to find it used. There is a list of cycle salvage yards around here.

Rad, thank you! I'll look into the salvage yards list, that will be handy to have. I think I'm going to see it tomorrow, as long as work doesn't get too hectic in the afternoon. Fingers crossed!

No, not too costly. Especially if you or someone you know can do the actual work, parts are not costly. Make absolutely sure to take someone knowledgable with you. A bike of this age can be a gem or a turd, trust me, you don't want a turd. Lol
Not trying to deter you, just be careful.

No, not too costly. Especially if you or someone you know can do the actual work, parts are not costly. Make absolutely sure to take someone knowledgable with you. A bike of this age can be a gem or a turd, trust me, you don't want a turd. Lol
Not trying to deter you, just be careful.

I am definitely bringing someone with me, have a friend who I just discovered has a pick up truck as well (hello transport!) that has ridden since he was a kid, supposed to be coming. If he bails on me, I'll reschedule the visit. With a less than perfect clutch, I'm worried about getting on the damn thing..Here's to hoping my friend isn't a flake!
Failing that, anyone on the forum in Kitchener / Waterloo that would join me to check it out that I can entice with free coffee and homebaked treats from my cafe? :p

if it's in as good a condition as it looks, it's a good deal....if it runs perfectly fine. As a new rider you really want something reliable.

if it's in as good a condition as it looks, it's a good deal....if it runs perfectly fine. As a new rider you really want something reliable.

The seller says the clutch is going, will need to be replaced. He won't safety it - not sure if it's a cost thing, or he doesn't think it would pass.

Back
Top Bottom