Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Do a pan drop if you can. We run RAM CVs with 62TE, if you're comfortable under the car, it takes about an hour to re and re the pan and filter.

Cost? $300 cash at my local tranny shop, $550 at my local Chrysler dealer. DIY is $125 ($25 for the filter/gasket and $100 for 5l of ATF+4.)

I do all my trannys at 80K - never had a failure (except Ford Transit Connects). Our trucks usually last 10 years and hit 300K.

If you're keeping the van for another 80K, I'd do it now.
Agreed. 120k so it's ready. I do a drain and fill on our Odyssey and started at 75k. It doesn't have a dipstick but has an oil level check hole (need to be level, at temp). I just measure what drains out and refill the same amount.
 
Agreed. 120k so it's ready. I do a drain and fill on our Odyssey and started at 75k. It doesn't have a dipstick but has an oil level check hole (need to be level, at temp). I just measure what drains out and refill the same amount.
Mikes hack: pull the oil dipstick, flip it over and mark with a sharpie (or scribe) at 5 and 15mm (cold) and 30-50mm (hot), then you can use it as a tranny dipstick to get a precise fill. Apparently the 62te is intolerant of over/under fill.

Here’s the fill heights from Chrysler.

1789474067678.png
 
Agreed. 120k so it's ready. I do a drain and fill on our Odyssey and started at 75k. It doesn't have a dipstick but has an oil level check hole (need to be level, at temp). I just measure what drains out and refill the same amount.
I’d do the filter too. It’s just a handful of bolts, if you can change a tire you can do a filter, seal and gasket replacement. You don’t really need to change the filter seal if it still looks good (can be a SOB to remove).

That gets the system cleaned out and lets you do a sparkles check. There’s a small magnet in the pan that collects ferrous debris, check non ferrous in the pan.
 
With a bigger range I'd consider this...love the look.
 
A buddy just texted me a picture of his latest fuel purchase. $301.00 for a fill up on his Ram diesel pickup. Around $2.50 a liter.

I wonder how much he'd like a Tesla Pickup.
 
  • Wow
Reactions: LBV
A buddy just texted me a picture of his latest fuel purchase. $301.00 for a fill up on his Ram diesel pickup. Around $2.50 a liter.

I wonder how much he'd like a Tesla Pickup.
I'd rather pay $300 to fill up than want to punch myself every time I walked out to my douchemobile. If I wanted an electric truck, lightning seems to be the way to go. GM truck might be ok but I see very few in the wild.
 
I am not savvy at all about electric vehicles and haven't read this whole thread, so apologies if it's already been discussed...however, what are thoughts on the Chinese EVs coming later this year into next?...I've seen the BYD Seagull and actually really like it (yes I know it's small with a small battery, but based on how little I drive - 1,500 km/year - it would be perfect)...thinking of maybe getting one in 2028 when I retire...
 
I am not savvy at all about electric vehicles and haven't read this whole thread, so apologies if it's already been discussed...however, what are thoughts on the Chinese EVs coming later this year into next?...I've seen the BYD Seagull and actually really like it (yes I know it's small with a small battery, but based on how little I drive - 1,500 km/year - it would be perfect)...thinking of maybe getting one in 2028 when I retire...
They could be fine. Their vehicles seem to work elsewhere. I suspect that the prices you are seeing now will not be remotely close to price in Canada. They don't need to undercut by 50% when 10% gets them most of the buyers.
 
Last edited:
A buddy just texted me a picture of his latest fuel purchase. $301.00 for a fill up on his Ram diesel pickup. Around $2.50 a liter.

I wonder how much he'd like a Tesla Pickup.

Hah. 120-ish litres at current diesel prices would do that.

Meanwhile ... This past weekend I drove the Bolt to Shannonville and back for their 50th-anniversary celebration (which was a good event).

Started out at 95% because I know I no longer have to charge to 100% for such trips, there's enough fast-charging. Stopped at Trenton Onroute eastbound services (40%) for a bite to eat; might as well charge. I used the big-electrical-cabinet ABB chargers that I've always used and paid little attention to the small stands next to them. Plug in ... tap RFID reader (I have the Ivycharge RFID tag) ... go have breakfast. It was connected for about 20 minutes ... $8 and change. I don't remember what the state of charge was afterward; didn't matter. Continued to Shannonville.

On the way back, I wanted a bite to eat at Trenton Onroute westbound services (35% state of charge). And there I found out what's going on with their charging stations ...

The old ABB big boxes which have been there for years, and which delivered a romping stomping 50 kW (fine for my car) are out of service. The new small stands that I thought were Level 2 chargers, are actually new Kempower 160kW chargers with both CCS and NACS plugs, and each one of them can output power to both plugs simultaneously (so each one can charge two cars - though probably only up to their total power).

The station seems to be well used. Three cars were charging when I got there, an older Kona EV was just finishing up and I took that spot, and by the time I was done eating, the others had gone and a newer Kona EV was just pulling in as I left. State of charge 75%, more than enough to get home. Arrived home at 30%.

Total distance 480 km, total fast-charging $21, we have to count the 65% of home charging that counts into the total so that's another $4. Extra time spent driving the EV versus something else, nothing. And this is with my obsolete technology.
 
For someone who drives so little, it makes little sense to trade in, until your current vehicle becomes unserviceable and you have no choice. At that point, buy used.
Agreed...but after 13 years (15 by the time I retire) I'm getting bored...and I'm not one to buy used but we'll see...maybe I'll get it painted or wrapped a different colour to make it 'new' again... :D
 
Agreed...but after 13 years (15 by the time I retire) I'm getting bored...and I'm not one to buy used but we'll see...maybe I'll get it painted or wrapped a different colour to make it 'new' again... :D
While financially I agree entirely with BP, sometimes people do things that aren't the best financial path. Keeping your car for 15 years isn't remotely the same as people that flip cars every couple years. You've got a defined benfit pension, buy something that makes you happy. With your driving habits, it will very one of the last few cars you buy.
 
We bought the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.
Now I’m trying to figure out which mode to run it in.
I want decent gas mileage, but the ability to recharge using a level one charger.
We’ll see if that is possible after the car is delivered.
 
We bought the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.
Now I’m trying to figure out which mode to run it in.
I want decent gas mileage, but the ability to recharge using a level one charger.
We’ll see if that is possible after the car is delivered.
Level 1 for PHEV should be entirely adequate for the mast majority of the people. From empty should be less than 8 hours. Even if the battery was not charged, you have the ICE to give you unlimited range.

Neighbours got one and like it.
 
Level 1 for PHEV should be entirely adequate for the mast majority of the people. From empty should be less than 8 hours. Even if the battery was not charged, you have the ICE to give you unlimited range.

Neighbours got one and like it.
Specs say 16 hours from empty with a 120v 12A. 6.5 with a level 2 240v 15A. Will check and see what I get.
 
Specs say 16 hours from empty with a 120v 12A. 6.5 with a level 2 240v 15A. Will check and see what I get.
I guess being a big brick doesn't help. 23kwh at 1.44kwh/h is close to 16 hours (and it may slow down at the end). Even 16 hours isn't horrendous. You're not normally coming home completely empty and you have 12 hours of cheap power each day. Unless I had a very specific use case, I probably wouldn't spend the money on a level 2 charger for a phev.
 
Back
Top Bottom