Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 278 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Sure, they don't make the Volt anymore, doesn't mean they don't produce cars people actually want. Maybe YOU don't want them, but you're not 'people' in general!

I am a firm believer in the "market". Todays consumer isn't stupid and more informed than any other time in history of car purchasing. Many times the consumer educates the car salesmen himself (or lady) about the very model they are selling. The days of buying a Chevy because its US are long gone.

The market has spoken, People don't want Volts, or GM would keep making them. That tells me a lot.

The Bolt, is already an outdated design, and GM is abandoning the platform.

Tesla is trading at $563 GM is trading at $55

For years, I've found Tesla's battery tech and powertrain prowess incredible. That hasn't change today and I believe they still do it best. As for their car building, thats getting better too. For a "young" company, they are doing great.

GM is making big noises about their new Utium platform. Will it be a true Tesla rival? We shall see. Looking at their track record, I'm not so sure. But I'll hold judgement until real production units come. Prototypes don't mean anything. need real world testing.

Label me what you want, fan boy, car fanatic, I've been studying and following cars since I was a kid. Bought and read every car mag, been to many auto shows in canada and US. Love them all.

Sorry, GM is simply a lame duck for many many years. Their ICE cars are trash. Their full size cargo van design is 100 years old.

Canada spent 18B (yes, BILLION) subsidizing fossil fuel industries last year alone.

So I get and appreciate the concept of us being perceived as tax cheaters and whatnot, but forgive me if I don’t have 18 billion reasons to not shed or tear or even feel the slightest bit bad about it when it’s all said and done.
It is not about being a tax cheater at all, everyone wants to pay less taxes and everyone works the system to try and do so. Cheaters do illegal things to not pay taxes, they cheat.

But as I said there are two categories, those that acknowledge they currently are benefiting from an advantage, and those that think they are special and entitled to it because they are special.... Same goes for those oil guys... In fact some of the EV owners I know that acknowledge it actually say I save $XXXX in fuel and about $YYYY in taxes.

Regardless, it is big coffer and as more people go home charge electric that tax revenue loss will become significant and it will be gouged out somewhere/somehow else. That is how it works, always has.

Tesla is trading at $563 GM is trading at $55
Dogecoin is up thousands of percent this year. Is that because they have great ideas and dominate the market? Hell no. Tesla is up for same reason, blind optimism and fanboy behaviour. Their stock price long ago detached from any product or commercial activity and became a religion. No doubt, they make some interesting vehicles but don't weaken your argument by bringing completely misleading facts up.

When everyone driving a gas car picks up the dime for billions in foss subsidies every year, let’s talk. Until then If surcharges are applied on EV’s to make up for lost gas taxes, expect the government hypocrisy to come back and bite them in the ass. And we can talk again then.

Untill then, I sleep fine at night.

When everyone driving a gas car picks up the dime for billions in foss subsidies every year, let’s talk. Until then If surcharges are applied on EV’s to make up for lost gas taxes, expect the government hypocrisy to come back and bite them in the ass. And we can talk again then.

Those subsidies are to the fossil fuel industry not to gas at the pumps. They are almost completely detached. The subsidies are vote buying and job protection. When people stop buying gas and paying gas tax, those subsidies will still be around (and probably increase greatly). I disagree with most government subsidies that take money from the masses and pick winners and losers including those.

I may be wrong but it sort of sounds like you lean more towards the "I am special" vs "I am getting a tax advantage"????

I am a firm believer in the "market". Todays consumer isn't stupid and more informed than any other time in history of car purchasing.

The “market” is fickle and doesn’t mean much to me. One only needs to reference GME gamestop.

Today’s consumer definitely has more access to information but I disagree that they are more informed. I would argue they are less informed and more willing to pay someone else for a service. Further there is a lot of misinformation and most people make no effort to filter through it all and educate themselves.

I would even go way out on a limb and say if I was a gambling man the Tesla bubble is bound to burst. Time will tell on that one though.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Yes, lets all run out and buy a Volt. I hear GM can't produce them fast enough.

In other news, I've wired my third Tesla charger this week with more scheduled soon, definitely an upward trend from a company that builds cars that people actually WANT.

my 4 year prediction stands, Tesla continues to lead the way.
Be careful with your prediction. The electric pie is growing rapidly fuelling growth for all car companies. Tesla’s unit sales are growing however their market share is tumbling. That’s not a winning strategy.

US makers are well behind in terms of production, likely because they build to demand. That’s giving them time, which in tech development is like gold.

I’m guessing US makers will tackle the big stuff first, pickups, huge sedans, SUVs as they have a dominant share and their legacy customers there. Large stuff will also win back the early adopters as America is built for big stuff.

hold your breath for 3 years and we’ll talk again.

Be careful with your prediction.

My prediction was from when this thread started 4 years ago not 4 years from now. See post 2.

You'll notice I said the bolt looked promising, I did also say I don't trust GM engineering on first gen products. Is it a surprise they are abandoning the bolt battery architecture?

TESLA was the only electric maker I trusted back then and same holds true today. That was long before many on this thread knew what a TESLA or electric car was,

They are so far ahead and already way ahead on electric development with the second generation, while today's makers are either already abandoning their first gen platforms (bolt/volt) or still trying to figure out their first gen.

Last edited:
My prediction was from when this thread started years ago. See post 2.

You'll notice I said the bolt looked promising, I did also say I don't trust GM engineering on first gen products. Is it a surprise they are abandoning the bolt battery architecture?

TESLA was the only electric maker I trusted back then and same holds true today. That was long before many on this thread knew what a TESLA or electric car was,

They are so far ahead and already way ahead on electric development with the second generation, while today's makers are either already abandoning their first gen platforms (bolt/volt) or still trying to figure out their first gen.
Not sure you understand the car biz. Tesla is uniquely focussed on a narrow segment of the market, to be successful in tech they have to be good out of the gate.

As a tech company grows successful, the target on their back gets bigger once this happens, they have to cross a chasm. Rapidly eroding market share, slowing innovation are leading indicators that tech companies are facing headwinds. That’s happening to Tesla now.

for fun watch the eF150 reveal live right now.

Big news. Starting price below US$40k.
As a useful package or have they gone back to the old days where it is a stripper to hit a price point (no radio, a/c, power windows, etc) and the lowest one you would actually want is 25% more? Good job getting something on the road for that price, if it's good even better.

THIS is the game-changer.

300 mile range "with extended-range battery" ... I'm sure that's an option, and probably an expensive one ... but still. It looks like Ford did a really good job with this. The front trunk is 400 litres. Huge.

Availability "spring 2022" so it's still a year away. We've only seen a few scattered bits of tooling for these. We've seen way more tooling and automation for BT1XX (including today), and we know about the electric Hummer, but there is no way the production rates for the BT1XX equipment that I've seen match the (small) numbers that I expect the Hummer to sell. GM has something cooking that they're not talking about yet.

THIS is the game-changer.

300 mile range "with extended-range battery" ... I'm sure that's an option, and probably an expensive one ... but still. It looks like Ford did a really good job with this. The front trunk is 400 litres. Huge.

Availability "spring 2022" so it's still a year away. We've only seen a few scattered bits of tooling for these. We've seen way more tooling and automation for BT1XX (including today), and we know about the electric Hummer, but there is no way the production rates for the BT1XX equipment that I've seen match the (small) numbers that I expect the Hummer to sell. GM has something cooking that they're not talking about yet.
It's an interesting game. Do you want to be the first out of the gate or do you go second and offer 301 mile range for one dollar less?

Ford hasn't stated the battery capacity .... but from the above article ... for the long-range battery "15% to 80% charged in 41 minutes on a 150kW charger" ... If we make the assumption that it maintains the 150kW charging rate for that full time, that works out to 158-ish kWh capacity, which makes sense.

I ordered mine in the US, base $40k is ($48k cad) Ford Canada base is $68k.

wonder how they justify the $20k difference?

Back
Top Bottom