Any advice on breaking through the weight training plateau? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any advice on breaking through the weight training plateau?

dragonrider

Please see the topic.

I haven't been able to push through the plateau and increase the weight for the last 3 weeks. Any fellow weight lifters have any advice?

I use only free weight and do bench press, cable rowing, squat, etc. I do weight twice a week and cardio(running) 3 times a week.

Thanks.

Fitness thread is your friend.

When I plateau I do HIIT with freeweights for a week-2 weeks and that gets me over the hump.

You need to be a little bit more specific. What are your repetition ranges for these exercises? There are many ways to get through plateaus. When was the last time you changed your routine? Have you implemented drop sets, negative reps? Too many variables. I'd recommend reading research articles. I have a paid prescription for research articles but you can find some on performbetter.com, exrx.net is also a great resource, Elitefts.com is decent for articles, t-nation is alright also. I work in the field so feel free to pm me and I will try to help you with what I can.

What Macs said. Bring the weight down a little bit and push for 7 sets if you normally do 3-5.

You could also incorporate drop sets and then push 'til failure. Personally, I love double or triple drop sets.

For bench press, you could try partial reps at a really heavy weight. The idea behind it is that you get your muscles used to the heavier load and you give your stabilizer muscles a week to get used to that weight so you trick your body into "knowing" what it feels like to push more.

But if you've been working out forever, maybe you're just at that point. I'm personally never gonna reach "that point"

Thanks for the advice. I've been working out for 2-3 months. So far from reaching that point:). I will give it a try.

Take a week off or go extremely light. Research "Deloading"

If your still having trouble increasing your lifts after that you need to eat more and increase the frequency at which you hit your muscles. Your not going to get much stronger if at all lifting twice a week. A 4 day upper/lower split with progressive loading is what you need to be doing if your looking to increase strength. Starting Strength is a great program that incorporates this.

Thanks for the advice. I've been working out for 2-3 months. So far from reaching that point:). I will give it a try.

some of us have been training for years, and have incorporated it into our lifestyles. The results from the first couple of months when noobs lift are known as "newbie gains", where by simply picking up a dumbell, you will get results. Now that youre past the newbie gain phase, you'll likely need to keep track of your training more and focus, and also learn about nutrition and create a diet plan for yourself. You also need to ask yourself what sort of physique you want in the long run, or if youre lifting for sport related reasons.

For myself personally, I lift for a mix of aesthetics and athletic performance.

Back
Top Bottom