Any advancements in cellphone mounts? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any advancements in cellphone mounts?

JTR

I've been looking for something secure for a while now. At the bike show, I saw alot of booths selling that flimsy looking X thing, but I don't trust it, and these phones are certainly not getting any cheaper. For reference I'm using a Galaxy S8 in an otter defender. Looking for something that will clamp tightly and securely to the bars with bolts, and hold the phone tight without flopping around on every bump and vibration. A spring loaded wire frame X with rubber nubs that slide off unless you super glue them, does not exactly instill much confidence.

You'd think that in this time of waze, bluetooth music, and so many bike route apps, that there would be enough demand for a quality mount, that they'd be coming out of the woodwork by now.

Thinking if I don't find something good by spring, I might drill and tap some bar clamps and screw the otter holster to them and see how that holds up. Hard enough to get the phone out of there even when I'm trying lol

Ive been using the RAM mounts. I think its the "X" you are talking about. I've had this thing on all of my bikes. Never a problem. So sliding, no movement at all actually. I think you just have to set it up properly and I doubt you will have issues. Its been like 3-4 years with no issues. I have a Pixel XL and it fits just fine.

RAM has a proven system . Probably for every application you can think of . Why take a chance with Chinese knock off with your expensive electronics . The difference I bet is only a few bucks .

ram mounts.

They have various attachments, one you can put in your triple clamp, one you can clamp on to your handlebar with(most popular)

they even have one with a suction cup, i'v tried this, its the worst option as even with a flat clean surface the grip is weak and needs to be checked on a regular basis before you ride so your phone doesn't fall off.

This is because I didn't have the triple clamp attachment, and my old honda had ridiculously shaped handlebars that the claw grip wouldn't fit on.

I learned its better to just plan your rides ahead better, and if you need to check the map, or take a call, to pull over and do so, no phone call is worth your life.

Ditto #1 0n Ram.
Just bought this for the front camera.
Amazon.ca
Radioworld on Steeles have loads of Ram mounts.

GoPro Camera ABJQR-001 Ball Joint Buckle, Black

Sorry OP. It is not what you are looking for. Just threw it in. A FYI.

Last edited:
Those ram mounts are ridiculously priced. $50 USD plus shipping from the US? How much is that, over $100 CAD? You could buy a decent android phone for that.

I keep my good phone zipped up in my jacket pocket and I use my old phone which I don't care about in my cheap $10 chinese ram mount. Used just for its GPS which works even without a sim card.

Those ram mounts are ridiculously priced. $50 USD plus shipping from the US? How much is that, over $100 CAD? You could buy a decent android phone for that.

I keep my good phone zipped up in my jacket pocket and I use my old phone which I don't care about in my cheap $10 chinese ram mount. Used just for its GPS which works even without a sim card.

Not being funny. Can you tell me where you can but an Android phone for $100. Thanks.

i once read someone put a gopro mount on their bike and the case then they just click them together.
downside is your case then has a gopro mount on it 24/7 but if its good enough to hold a camera on a bike it would be good enough to hold a phone.

i use a tank bag that has a map holder...but ive also only used it a couple times.

Almost anywhere. Best Buy, Staples, Canada Computers, Amazon, Ebay all sell cheap unlocked android smart phones.

Example: https://www.staples.ca/en/acer-liqu...gb-hm-hueaa-002r/product_2755149_1-CA_1_20001

Obviously these are low end phones for that price but they are good enough for running a GPS app.

WOW. Well, I learned something today. I have a Huawei and I can not get it to sync with some of the sports watches. Perhaps I can pick up one of the cheap ones.
Thanks.

Think of it as a investment!
The RAM mount has a heavy spring loaded mechanism that holds your phone in place. It really feels ruggedized compared to cheap knockoffs.
Highly recommend it!

Thanks JavaFan. Are they any good, or you get what you pay for.

the lower end androids are great value, but limited
at the $100 price point the quality of screen and camera will be the biggest concessions

processing power will be okay, RAM will be limited
most will have an SD slot to expand storage

cannot expect to load these phones up with apps
and have a smooth user experience like a flagship phone

but for secondary use, they are fine

my daily driver is an Asus android from Staples
a little more than what you want to pay - 250 range
but it does everything I need, is unlocked to a carrier
and I'll get 2 years out of it and then buy something else

spending a grand on a phone, or making payments for 2 years
does not make one bit of sense to me

OP, many people don't know (or care) but there is a rubber elastic attachment that you can buy to use with the X grip as an added security.
My RAM set up for my gps from radio world was ~$60 with a custom (model specific) clip for my gps

Sent from the purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I highly recommend you do the hard-mount thing you thought of for the ultra, most secure mounting possible to your handle-bars. I'm sure your S8 will vibrate itself dead within a season. Enjoy! Handlebar buzzzzzz.

Go with a RAM Mount. They work. They don't work when people like you think it's stupid the rubber nubs fall off if you don't super glue them. That's why RAM Mount instructs you to (and provides) the super-duper-superglue. My wheels also fall of when I finger tight it. FYI. I blame the manufacturer. You'd figure with X billion cars on the road they invent some form of wheel attachment that prevented wheels from falling off.

Back
Top Bottom