Any 500cc touring friendly bikes? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any 500cc touring friendly bikes?

nyx

I'm searching for a 500cc touring friendly bike. So far I only got the 535 Virago, 500 Vulcan, and very old Silverwing.

Any recommendation for other bikes?? Hoepfully less than 20 years old, and don't have to be a cruiser.

I'm trying to stick within the 500-600 range for insurance purposes. The rate for 650 Virago I got was alright but not sure I'd want that bike anyways. Right now I'm on the 250 Vstar, so I could tour, and may stick it out until the 800-1100cc bikes are a reasonable rate for me.

Thanks!

Not much available newer than 20 years, but if you go back a bit farther the honda v30's and v45's are quite good for touring.

Sometimes someone will get a bike like that and just let it sit in storage after awhile. Tonnes of bikes from that age frame with low kms.

I'd go for the v45 if insurance is not much more, better for touring with the shaft drive etc.

Burgman 650 is a brilliant tourer ....I've put 1000 km days on mine and with a top case you've got 110 litres of storage without needing side bags.\..

2007-suzuki-burgman-650-i061.jpg

You just gotta get over the "scooter" thing.....best all around bike I've owned in 43 years of riding.
There are thousands of other Burgman 650 riders will tell you the same.
Reliable, fun in the twisties, great brakes and terrific storage.

This was the review that got me hooked on the category.
http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2006/10/04/scoot-touring-the-honda-silverwing-and-suzuki-burgman/

We did the The James Bay Road in 2011

Screenshot2011-06-20atJun20201192537PM.jpg

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...tagami-to-Radisson-The-James-Bay-Road-in-June

Lovely commuter tho a bit on the heavy side.

If you were looking current.
The new Honda 500x would be a good choice.
And if you can find one.. the BMW GS650 scarver

There are any number of decent dual sports around as well that are excellent tourers.

I ride an ST1100 V4 in Australia and its shaft drive and lovely on the highways but frankly the Burgman 650 has the same storage and lighter handling and up to 100 kph about the same acceleration plus better braking and 50 lb lighter.
I'm lusting for a current model Honda 400 4 here but $$$ - that way my step daughter could ride it as well.

What is your budget?

Last edited:
Yeah that's the one but by the time it's outfitted with bags and top case and a touring screen it's gonna get pricey. But one of the nicest mid weights in a long time.

What about a gs500? Been making them darn near forever - newer ones have fairing, could retrofit something on the older ones to cut the wind a bit.

What about a gs500? Been making them darn near forever - newer ones have fairing, could retrofit something on the older ones to cut the wind a bit.

He might as well get a KLR650 then as there are tons of those out there nicely rigged for touring and the price is always right... bullet proof and lots of farkles available.

I hate promoting the bike that I own, but the FZ6 makes a pretty solid budget touring bike. 600cc classed as a sport tourer by insurance, and can be found for pretty cheap if you keep an eye out (here's a low k '05 for $3900 as an example, http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-bikes-2005-Yamaha-FZ6-W0QQAdIdZ470463154)

Hard luggage readily available. I have a Givi E52 topcase and a pair of V35's that should be arriving in the mail any day now.

Mine has been as far west as Albuquerque, and most places in between.

Here is her last year somewhere in PA

photo%2520%25281%2529.JPG

Last edited:
How about this bad boy from Honda? Just launched it not too long ago and it's right within your specs.http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cb500x.aspx
I do really like the new honda and sat on the other two models, but the seat is very uncomfortable (vs my cruiser). Being how it's a new bike, needing new seat and luggage, it would get too expensive for a bike I'm not planning on keeping for too long. I'd want to keep the price range to $4000ish.

I hate promoting the bike that I own, but the FZ6 makes a pretty solid budget touring bike. 600cc classed as a sport tourer by insurance, and can be found for pretty cheap if you keep an eye out (here's a low k '05 for $3900 as an example, http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-bikes-2005-Yamaha-FZ6-W0QQAdIdZ470463154)Hard luggage readily available. I have a Givi E52 topcase and a pair of V35's that should be arriving in the mail any day now.Mine has been as far west as Albuquerque, and most places in between.Here is her last year somewhere in PA
Nothing wrong with promoting what you ride, esp when you've toured for at least a week on the bike. That's the kind of comfort I'm looking for too. And it's very good that hard luggage is avaliable; can't really do it with any of the 500's. Got Large tank, fairly new, no carbs, and only $200 more to insure vs. 500's. I'll def look into fz6's, thanks!

Nothing wrong with promoting what you ride, esp when you've toured for at least a week on the bike. That's the kind of comfort I'm looking for too. And it's very good that hard luggage is avaliable; can't really do it with any of the 500's. Got Large tank, fairly new, no carbs, and only $200 more to insure vs. 500's. I'll def look into fz6's, thanks!

It is a good bike, but mostly everyone recommends whatever they own.

Tank is good for 300km until the fuel light starts flashing (15L), will run out around 360km (18L) on average. Fuel injection is awesome coming from a carb'd bike, no choke to screw with, just jump on and go.

Reliability has been good too. Mine is up to 95k km. Doesn't burn a drop of oil and transmission has no issues. So far I've had to do the steering bearings at ~18k km, and a clutch at ~50k km (my fault). Other than that, just the usual consumables. Checked the valves at 86k km and they're still in spec.

I'd want to keep the price range to $4000ish.

Then look for a KLR650 with some luggage and put a Sargent seat on it and a Clearview Windscreen.
With some 80/20 tires you can go on some casual dirt roads yet still tour in the 110 kph range in your budget

This is just about bang on -

$T2eC16V,!w0E9szNZIYvBRbfNwWUSg~~48_20.JPG

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...ring-2008-Kawasaki-KLR-650-W0QQAdIdZ475394930

and it's the newer model. Couple of saddlebags
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...Kawasai-KLR-650-Saddlebags-W0QQAdIdZ475355446
or even a water proof pack to lean against and it's go to go anywhere. Good tires on it too....but wonder if you are okay with the seat height.

Even better deal - $3700 from a dealer and for a 2008 certified

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...E-certified-serviced-ready-W0QQAdIdZ473921473

Comes with extra tall windshield and tank bag,,

These have a big tank as well for extended range and easy to flip when your done.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, surprised no one has mentioned the uber budget tourer, the V-Strom 650. Should be able to find one in your budget without issue, maybe even with hard luggage already.

V-Stroms, for whatever reason, cost quite a bit used :s. Very few kijiji bikes are listed under $4k.

I tried one and really enjoyed it - it turned and handled decent, was very roomy, and had a good engine with good mid-range. They're tall bikes so you might want to lower the bike or change seats if you're shorter. (I'm tall and loved the ergos.)

I agree but they do command a price. I was impressed with buddy's on the The James Bay trip - he floated over high speed bumps at 170 that jarred my teeth on the Burgman at 10-15 kph less. ( very speed friendly road but those frost heaves !!! ).
He dumped his twice on a PA trip - bike was new to him and top heavy and he was height challenged even with the lowering kit.

That's one area where the Scarver and current GS single are good as with the low seat option they are excellent for those with shorter inseams.

I'm 5'9 with 30" in seam and the 35" KLR is a chore at times....lucky I have excellent sag factor :D All the dual sports seem to float nicely but then that long throw can make for challenges if you are shorter than norm.
The VStrom 650 is also quick in the twisties - we had an hilarious ride in PA on 44 getting home before the deer came out. Best twistie ride for me ever - 100-140 and then down to 30-40 and hammer it out. Much fun.

the upright seating on all the dualies is comfie I find - even more so than the sport tourers. Very neutral position - I had to put risers on the ST1100 to get reasonably comfortable.

Oh agreed, V-Stroms are great. I really enjoyed the demo ride on the one I tried, it did everything great. The long travel is nice but I could see it being quicker than expected in the twisties.

I heard the 2012-on model is even a bit more refined and nicer - and WAY better looking.

I'd love to try a KLR, but I'd think that for more touring and pavement duty a V-Strom would be the better bet.

If the OP were really intent on a V-Strom, I'd find a local dealer selling a brand new 2012 bike for low $9k + tax, or a new 2011 model for $7500 (the Thunder Bay dealer is advertising this right now) rather than spend more than $4k on a miled-up 10-year-old bike. 'Stroms are known for being durable, but a 2005 model for $4500-5500 doesn't seem like smart money to me.

...but then again, it's a slippery slope and don't I know it too :D

Back
Top Bottom