Matagami to Radisson - The James Bay Road in June | GTAMotorcycle.com

Matagami to Radisson - The James Bay Road in June

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Anyone done this??
This will really be a bit of a mega run for buddy and I

"Their ain't no doubt that the greatest road in Eastern Canada just might be the private Hydro Quebec Road from Matagami to Radisson. They have some funny signs which speak of radar (By whom? It's a private road owned by the Hydro).
The rare traffic on the road runs at a great pace, over clean pavement, for hundreds of miles.
One note is that there is only fuel in the middle, so make sure you are full up before you head north. Also, as the road is private property, you need a pass to ride it. Fortunately, all you have to do to get one is to go to the gatehouse in Matagami, and ask for a tour of the LeGrande Power Plant. Then ride like crazy to LG, get a great tour of an incredible Hydro project. Hop over to Chiassibi to see the Cree and James Bay, then back. When heading south, stop in Amos and see the zoo. Another private affair run by an ex-DEP type with all sorts of great animals. Ride safe, go North!"

It starts not far south of James Bay
icon_eek.gif

Screenshot2011-05-29atMay292011100738PM.jpg

Driving the James Bay Road

The James Bay Road is 620 km long (388 miles). It is paved for its entire length. This road was originally built to carry loads of 300 tons, so the road has mostly gentle curves and hills and wide shoulders. However, there are sections which are very bumpy, and even if you drive at the posted speed limit of 100 km/h, you could wreck your car on some of these bumps if you don't slow down. Some of the worst bumps have no bump sign! You may encounter logging trucks during the first 200 km or so, but they're not much of a problem as the road is paved. The James Bay Road is open year-round.There is only one gas station for the entire length of 620km, at Km 381. There are no other facilities whatsoever for the entire length of the road. You need to check in at Km 6. Radisson has most services, but remember that it is still a small town, of only about 300 people.
Scenery: Generally the scenery is fairly level (some people will say it's downright boring). The road crosses some really big rivers. For most of the length it runs through taiga: spruce and jack pine forest, bogs, rocks, and low hills. This is about all you'll see apart from birds and some wildlife, and the occasional cabin a short distance off the road. Make sure you stop and view the spectacular rapids of the Rupert River, at km 257. It is a sight you will not forget for some time!
Campgrounds and rest areas: There are regular picnic and rest areas to stop and take a break. There are also regularly spaced campgrounds. However, these sometimes consist of little more than a parking lot suitable for trailers. You may instead to choose to camp in old gravel pits, which are plentiful and usually not all that ugly.
Telephones: There are emergency telephones located at intervals along the Road. They are basically regular pay phones, except they do not accept coins, only credit cards. The usual calling card calls, collect calls, and bill-to-third-number calls may be made of course. Cell phones do not work here. Cellular phones work until you hit Matagami (Bell Mobility), or Amos for Rogers. On the Route du Nord cell phones work at Km106 & other "top of the hill" locations.
Although the James Bay Road is paved for its entire length of 620 km, it is nevertheless a very remote road with little traffic. Please read the cautions below before traveling on this road.

http://www.jamesbayroad.com/jbr/jbrdriving.html

Fuel is a big worry ( will have to take spare on the Burgman )

I'm wondering if it's a bit too flat to be interesting given the distance.

Still kinda intriguing. :confused1:

Long daylight hours in June is the key.

There have been a few go that way. Namely Vlad & Wobbycat, Have a search for their threads. Lots of good info.

I am planning this trip as well this summer...with extra fuel can as well.
If you have a questions you might want to PM Oomis, he has been there a couple times recently and is very helpful with info on his trips.

That's on my list, just need the time. Long June hours = blackflies from heck.

I know about the flies - but we will be on the move not bush traipsing and I'd rather have the long hours. It's a day up - then we figure a day each way - a day back.

Friday, June 17, 20113:43AM am8:18PM pm
If weather looks off we will divert east or west - lots of roads to ride. :D

Thanks for the Oomis tip

I know about the flies - but we will be on the move not bush traipsing and I'd rather have the long hours. It's a day up - then we figure a day each way - a day back.

Friday, June 17, 20113:43AM am8:18PM pm
If weather looks off we will divert east or west - lots of roads to ride. :D

Thanks for the Oomis tip

From what my friends have told me, even stopping for a roadside break involved a black fly karate dance.

You're okay on gravel, right? For there's a fairly large stretch of it as well on that route.

You're okay on gravel, right? For there's a fairly large stretch of it as well on that route.
Actually I think the road is paved all the way to Radisson, the only real gravel you have to contend with is the road from Chisasibi to the waters of James Bay. It is about 12 kms each way.

Just so.

I imagine they'll toss off a 12km walk in flip flops and swim trunks, or catch one of the many cabs? ;)

Who can ride that far and NOT visit the James Bay?

I'm fine on dirt roads - don't like loose gravel. I've been to James Bay but 12k is not a biggie.

Those are rocks not leaves and yes the GPS said this stream bed was a road.

Picture115.jpg

Picture114.jpg

I've been planning a trip like this also....would love to do it.

:)

Can someone explain the appeal of this ride? I've seen a few trip reports on ADVrider, and I don't get it. Long, straight roads, scrubby bush and horrendous bugs. Maybe I haven't seen pics of the good stuff.

I've done this trip solo and if you're into riding because of the twisty stuff, this will be boring. Having said that there are high speed sweepers all the way up that you can take at 150kph comfortably.

The main appeal of this ride is that you're exploring. You will be as far North as you can hit in Ontario/Quebec, at least where there is some civilization for support.

Each individual rides for their own reason, I ride to experience things apart from the normal city riding:

• isolated stretches of Ontario that I've never been on
  • chased a group of some pretty cool looking T-Rex's
  • helped a couple that was stranded on the side of the road with a wheel bearing failure on their cruiser
  • took me along a 40Km stretch of gravel road that started off as pavement then got progressively worse
  • camped on a lake shore and got to have coffee while watching the sunrise
  • travel over 100Km of gravel road in Northern Quebec and learned that Northern Quebec is the next Sahara, there's huge expanses covered by sand!
  • stared down a lone wolf while he sauntered across the road
  • was able to see some pretty amazing and different scenery that you'll only ever find up north, really odd looking stunted pines.
  • did you know that when you get up to Chiasibi, you didn't need to know French? In the early years, they were visited by a Catholic missionary and they speak fluent English.
  • etc.

Can someone explain the appeal of this ride? I've seen a few trip reports on ADVrider, and I don't get it. Long, straight roads, scrubby bush and horrendous bugs. Maybe I haven't seen pics of the good stuff.​
Legit concerns and I for one am willing to shift to a different trip if it's too boring or too buggy but the post above sums it up pretty well - as far north as you can get in Ontario Quebec and there are some pretty neat areas.
You can see them here

http://www.jamesbayroad.com/

It's a full day of riding to get there....we're not pinned to a time table or a region. With 14 hours + of daylight we can cover a lot of ground and still have time to explore and take breaks.
Riding with the Scala chit chat makes the time go by faster and you can discuss options without stopping.

Fuel is an issue for the Burgman at 140+ on that ride - it slurps. This year is more about exploring - last year was twisties tho I'll not turn them down and with fresh brakes and Metzlers....bring em on.....but not such a goal as last year.

I did the trip 2 summers ago. I went with wobblycat, Oomis, and a few others from here. It really didn't feel as remote as the warnings make it out to be, but yes, bring gas for that stretch. And with luggage and stuff, and the cruising speeds up there, fuel mileage will be a lot lower. I managed to go through 15 liters in 180km. I'd normally get 300km.

We took 5 days for the trip, 2 up, 1 day there. Went for a tour of the hydro dam.

Last edited:
Someone called?

Last edited:
Pretty

Can someone explain the appeal of this ride? I've seen a few trip reports on ADVrider, and I don't get it. Long, straight roads, scrubby bush and horrendous bugs. Maybe I haven't seen pics of the good stuff.

To each their own motivation, to me it's about going somewhere that most people don't go - someplace that most people don't exist. It's far, far away.

No, the road is not terribly interesting. But there's a very real danger in riding this road, and to me, that's appealing. And when you're up there, you really are in a different world. Being a city boy, I love this.

This trip isn't for everyone, that's for sure...

To each their own motivation, to me it's about going somewhere that most people don't go - someplace that most people don't exist. It's far, far away.

No, the road is not terribly interesting. But there's a very real danger in riding this road, and to me, that's appealing. And when you're up there, you really are in a different world. Being a city boy, I love this.

This trip isn't for everyone, that's for sure...

Was that your bike in the James?

You and I ride very much alike. :D

Was that your bike in the James?

You and I ride very much alike. :D

Yep. That was mine. I had to get my tires wet, I just had to. The surface was gravel gravel gravel gravel quicksand. I'm the only person I know who's gotten their motorcycle stuck in Nunavut.

I'd highly recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom