Another what's my bike worth thread | GTAMotorcycle.com

Another what's my bike worth thread

Michael0124

Site Supporter
Kicking around the idea of selling my vfr800 to help fund the next toy I have my eye on but am having a hard time figuring out what it's worth. About a dozen or so on Kijiji in Ontario but all older and/or higher mileage. I'm seeing a range of about 3k to 6k. I think based on the ones I see online I'm guessing mid 6k range? Or is that price destined for the overpriced thread?

Mine is a 2009 in the desirable pearl white/black two tone (none in that colour online right now) with about 29k on it. 11 years old so obviously not mint but very good/excellent condition for its age. Original paint, lots of real carbon fiber and other upgrades with most original parts included. it'll need brake pads soon, maybe a rear tire otherwise it's good to go. I have a brand new oem rear shock in the box to throw in as well.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance...

Depends on what the next toy is :sneaky:

6+ sounds steep on an 11 year old bike. Remember kijiji asking prices are very rarely sold prices (that's why the ads are still up). A lot depends on how quickly you want it gone. It is a nice bike so you may get close to your number in the spring. If you want a chance to sell it now, my gut says ask $4999.

If you want to get the most money, sell the carbon bits and shock separately (the buyer of your bike will give you ~$0 for them).

6+ sounds steep on an 11 year old bike. Remember kijiji asking prices are very rarely sold prices (that's why the ads are still up). A lot depends on how quickly you want it gone. It is a nice bike so you may get close to your number in the spring. If you want a chance to sell it now, my gut says ask $4999.

If you want to get the most money, sell the carbon bits and shock separately (the buyer of your bike will give you ~$0 for them).

Thanks for the honest and logical response.

I'm not in a rush to sell, more in the thinking out loud and trying to figure out if it'd be worth it.

I doubt the dealer would give me a fair price on trade, but I plan on going the supershow in January and see if I can get a winter deal trading in on the new bike. If not, I'll wait for spring.

Throw tires and pads on it. People like that.$6000 would be a good deal for someone. It is a much sought after bike.
Edit...a trade would maybe get you $3000. Sell it private.

Trials bikes are not toys they are Tools, is like buying a really nice chain saw, or maybe a little closer to ultralight aircraft.
Toys are like MV Agusta :cool: &mine is only a toy because I don't race it, so it's not a tool is only a toy. expensive ?sex toy.

I dont know about the price, but you'll get a lot more serious buyers if you are willing to safety it and they'll likely be more willing to tolerate a higher price if they know it wont need anything and they can just get it and ride it, as opposed to finding out later it needs xyz for safety etc.

Just my 2 c.

Kicking around the idea of selling my vfr800 to help fund the next toy I have my eye on but am having a hard time figuring out what it's worth. About a dozen or so on Kijiji in Ontario but all older and/or higher mileage. I'm seeing a range of about 3k to 6k. I think based on the ones I see online I'm guessing mid 6k range? Or is that price destined for the overpriced thread?

Mine is a 2009 in the desirable pearl white/black two tone (none in that colour online right now) with about 29k on it. 11 years old so obviously not mint but very good/excellent condition for its age. Original paint, lots of real carbon fiber and other upgrades with most original parts included. it'll need brake pads soon, maybe a rear tire otherwise it's good to go. I have a brand new oem rear shock in the box to throw in as well.

Last year I bought a 2015 VFR800 Deluxe with 1,700kms for $6k.
At $6k I wouldn’t even be looking at your bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t really follow the VFR market but based on age and mileage I would ask no more then $5500 and hope to get around $5000-5200. I can’t see it being hard to find a good clean one at that price, look hard enough and I’m sure there is similar year/mileage bikes that can be bought starting with a 4.

In a way I agree with the safety thing. Just not at this time of year. Good chance your safety expires if you do it ahead of time and to me the big draw is in April/May when people are itching to get on the road they will pay more for a bike that’s been safetied simply because they can get it on the road the next day. If you’re mechanically inclined it’s not a bad idea to go over everything yourself, replace what’s needed and basically get it safety ready to either show a buyer everything is up to spec or you can work it into the deal that you will bring it in to get the inspection...at least if you have everything done you’ll save money from a shop replacing brakes, chain/sprocket or whatever else might come up.

Last year I bought a 2015 VFR800 Deluxe with 1,700kms for $6k.
At $6k I wouldn’t even be looking at your bike.

That's cheap for that year, if you can even find one...I've found one in BC for 6k, the rest are closer to 10k.Tbh I wouldn't consider my bike either if I could get a 2015 for that price, lol.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edit: just read the ad for that 6k one in BC, rebuilt title...so for 6k you got one hell of a deal on it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback everyone, especially about the safety. Buying a few year old bike with low km on it without a safety isn't a big deal, but I can appreciate why someone would want one on a decade old machine to pay good money for it.

That's cheap for that year, if you can even find one...I've found one in BC for 6k, the rest are closer to 10k.Tbh I wouldn't consider my bike either if I could get a 2015 for that price, lol.

Thanks for the feedback.

I may have left out the part about having to pick it up in Sault Ste Marie. It was a nice 2-day road trip!

Pretty nice bike for a road trip, though...I wouldn't mind it for a deal like that.

I sold it this summer with about 10,000kms on it for more than I paid, but still under market value. Someone got a good deal.

Pricing a niche bike is always tough -- the market for them is small, and the number of reference bikes is usually small too. If I was in your shoes there are a few things I'd do.

1) Restore the bike to stock. 2 reasons, first the aftermarket parts usually fetch a lot more on their own than when installed on the bike. Second, an the extras you put on the bike should have preserved the original parts, by going back to OE the bike appears unmolested -- removes any doubt as to whether the bike was upgraded or repaired.

2) Certify the bike. On a fairly priced bike you provide the buyer the peace of mind that they can at least plate the bike. Removing the uncertainty of a safety also takes away negotiating power from the buyer.

As for the price, use Kijiji and Autotrader to find the benchmark. once you're over 10 years old, condition will have more impact on price than age. An 09 is a Gen 6, so include 2002 thru 2009 in your price comparison.

I was at an auction and a bidder was complaining about the price on an item being not worth it. The auctioneer shot back "It's worth what I get for it". He was right. The right buyer has to see it at the right time. Patience will get you more $$ but you also have to calculate the benefit of losing a bit if it gets you what you really want. VFR's, especially white ones, are on my desirable list but not at this time.

One of the curses of motorcycles is that they can look like new after 20 years where cars look their age in half that. But the bikes are still 20 years old and are priced accordingly.

Sad thing is you need to sell it in US $ because our currency exchange presently sucks
+ in much of the US they don't have riding seasons, all year is ride time.

That's what it comes down to really, something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

It's funny, I know three people that told me if I ever sell it they wanted first shot...all of them have now backed down when I asked them lol.
I was at an auction and a bidder was complaining about the price on an item being not worth it. The auctioneer shot back "It's worth what I get for it". He was right. The right buyer has to see it at the right time.

Back
Top Bottom