Another hwy 507 adventure | GTAMotorcycle.com

Another hwy 507 adventure

ungoloth

Site Supporter
My usual weekend ride includes hwy xxx since I live fairly close, it takes me north and it's a ***** load of fun. My destination was Fort Irwin (great technical ride). I always stop (whether I need fuel or not) at xxx gas station, have a smoke and pop with the owner and we swap hwyxxx stories of past squid follies. If He noticed any opp activity he may let me in on it... Whilst riding up north, I was passed by 2 rockets, game on! I spooled up the 10R but soon broke off as these clowns were passing cars in corners with on-coming traffic. Since I want to ride another day I felt that activity was beyond my comfort zone so opted for my usual pace. Sure enough I'm signaled by another rider and soon spotted a newer smashed up gixxer on a flatbed, fire trucks etc. I'm all for having fun but far too many times have I seen this road ruin someone's day. In the past I've seen a lot of tragedy on this road (air ambulance more than a few times). This new generation of balls-to-the-wall riding is becoming disturbing and ruins my ride when I'm left to deal with the carnage. Oh well, the remainder of my ride was good, met some new friends and possible future hookup-rides. Looking forward to next weekend (weather permitting).
Please ride within your limit and Happy apexes.

^ Amen. Here's pics from my ride yesterday. Don't need to travel far, no police, no bikes, just paradise...

DSCN1222_zps55p47rbh.jpg

DSCN1223_zpskf4ur4tg.jpg

Whilst riding up north, I was passed by 2 rockets, game on! I spooled up the 10R but soon broke off as these clowns were passing cars in corners with on-coming traffic. Since I want to ride another day I felt that activity was beyond my comfort zone so opted for my usual pace. Sure enough I'm signaled by another rider and soon spotted a newer smashed up gixxer on a flatbed, fire trucks etc. I'm all for having fun but far too many times have I seen this road ruin someone's day. In the past I've seen a lot of tragedy on this road (air ambulance more than a few times). This new generation of balls-to-the-wall riding is becoming disturbing and ruins my ride when I'm left to deal with the carnage.

Was this yesterday? Did the 507 as well, but it was near empty around 4:30pm.

Every weekend there are more than a few hero's on that road. Don't get me wrong I'm no saint but some of these squids need to look up the word Mosport or Shannonville... I like a 'challenging, spirited' ride like most rocket riders but some hero's are going to ruin it for everyone. I'm surprises the red-light brigade isn't out to exact some revenge.

Nice pic's and great day for a ride eh! I also seek out interesting little known roads. Happy apexes.

150 isn't that far from 130-140 why all the angst? 180 isn't that far off 150. Knickers in a twist, wat up. That's walking speed on the 401.

150 isn't that far from 130-140 why all the angst? 180 isn't that far off 150. Knickers in a twist, wat up. That's walking speed on the 401.
Used to be. Not so much anymore. You can pass most while doing 130, many while doing 120 now.

I was up there Saturday with a couple of riding buddies. We took highway 3 down from Haliburton to Gooderham and then hit the 507 to Buckhorn at around 3-ish and didn't encounter a single idiot the whole way on two or four wheels. Everyone we passed or who passed us behaved very well (including us).

I loved reading this post, felt like i was reading one of those "pick-your-own-ending" books....I was wondering how to end it ;)

Yesterday it was. By 4:30 all cleaned up and back to normal

That explains it...checked my receipt from Flynn's and I gassed up first at 4:22pm. Things seemed rather quiet around that time...a few bikes also filling up, and passed maybe 4-6 going the other way on the 507 as I headed up to Gooderham. Was going to do 3 as well, but the sun was going down soon so I just did 503 to 118, Dyno Rd, to 28, then Northey's then home (and nearly froze on the 115 lol).

I would have thought that there is less of that type of riding because of the bill 203... Before that there was some pretty intense riding going on.

Same could be said about insurance increases...seems those who want to do those speed just have the mindset to ride illegally and run now. Not really a good situation, and part of the reason I prefer to ride alone and set my own pace these days, unless I know everyone in the group I am riding with.

It's like driving...everyone else is the bad driver.
It's funny how many of you complain here yet you don't have the balls to go up to the rider (at gas station) and simply ask them to take it easy...remind them that they have people to go home to (their family etc...) or don't take someone else with you. If you have to, lie to them and say there are cops in the area busting bikes.

Typing here does nothing to help your cause, that rider is not likely on here reading your post nor would they think it's them.

I have been on rides being stuck behind slower/cruiser bikes that would not move aside to let line of bikes behind them pass safely.

Carry on...

I was up there Saturday with a couple of riding buddies. We took highway 3 down from Haliburton to Gooderham and then hit the 507 to Buckhorn at around 3-ish and didn't encounter a single idiot the whole way on two or four wheels. Everyone we passed or who passed us behaved very well (including us).

You'll learn pretty quick, around here if it happened once, everyone must be doing it and the epidemic will soon kill babies... to start.

Buckle up ;)

I rode north on the 507 between 11:15 and 11:45 on Saturday morning and was passing the carnage just as the ambulance was pulling up.
White bike far down in the northbound ditch, seemed to be a lot of debris on the road from the incident. Looked like around 7 or so bikes already pulled over, as well as a large black pick-up so I didn't bother stopping.
I usually feel sorry for these guys that ride beyond thier abilities, it's a tough way to learn that lesson, but after reading the OP's version of the story, specifically the jack***ed behaviour of passing on blind corners putting others in danger, I'm more inclined to feel that if they live by the sword...

You'll learn pretty quick, around here if it happened once, everyone must be doing it and the epidemic will soon kill babies... to start.

Buckle up ;)
& you will learn, your views are held by few

I believe the OP makes a VERY valid point. He freely admits he participates and enjoys "spirited rides", I don't think I have seen anyone here who has condemned them nearly to the point of the condemnation of the "stunter rides" currently going on. Are the "stunter rides" out of control? Far from it.

But as one who enjoys a "spirited ride" in a little more "appropriate time and place" the OP made the point that initially he was willing to "join in" on the fun. UNTIL, it got to a point that even he acknowledges had crossed the line from "spirited" to dangerous. I can't imagine anyone on this forum supporting passing on a blind corner with oncoming traffic. I could care less if the riders, took only themselves out. Unfortunately often they take out "innocents" in their "quest for the next rush".

Having said that, people have been riding beyond their limits for decades. I once attended an autopsy, where the person involved had lost control of his bike went off road hit a tree, (by that time his body was traveling perpendicular to the ground). He measured 1" taller at his autopsy than he did in life, due to the force of the impact. That was VERY early 80's so it has been going on even long before that.

It isn't a matter of "your either with us or your against us" It also isn't OUR responsibility as riders to approach these riders at a gas station to try to talk sense to them. Hell if as a cop in full uniform I couldn't get through to them does anyone really think they are going to listen to "some OLD dude" at a gas station which is how they will view anyone over 35..lol. But I see nothing harmful in the OP's post, maybe they will read it, and when their out it may pop into their head.

My usual weekend ride includes hwy xxx since I live fairly close, it takes me north and it's a ***** load of fun. My destination was Fort Irwin (great technical ride). I always stop (whether I need fuel or not) at xxx gas station, have a smoke and pop with the owner and we swap hwyxxx stories of past squid follies. If He noticed any opp activity he may let me in on it... Whilst riding up north, I was passed by 2 rockets, game on! I spooled up the 10R but soon broke off as these clowns were passing cars in corners with on-coming traffic. Since I want to ride another day I felt that activity was beyond my comfort zone so opted for my usual pace. Sure enough I'm signaled by another rider and soon spotted a newer smashed up gixxer on a flatbed, fire trucks etc. I'm all for having fun but far too many times have I seen this road ruin someone's day. In the past I've seen a lot of tragedy on this road (air ambulance more than a few times). This new generation of balls-to-the-wall riding is becoming disturbing and ruins my ride when I'm left to deal with the carnage. Oh well, the remainder of my ride was good, met some new friends and possible future hookup-rides. Looking forward to next weekend (weather permitting).
Please ride within your limit and Happy apexes.

passed by two rockets...I spooled it up...technical ride...
this is not right. along with others bragging about their speeds. Folks need to mature up and do td's.

I believe the OP makes a VERY valid point. He freely admits he participates and enjoys "spirited rides", I don't think I have seen anyone here who has condemned them nearly to the point of the condemnation of the "stunter rides" currently going on. Are the "stunter rides" out of control? Far from it.

But as one who enjoys a "spirited ride" in a little more "appropriate time and place" the OP made the point that initially he was willing to "join in" on the fun. UNTIL, it got to a point that even he acknowledges had crossed the line from "spirited" to dangerous. I can't imagine anyone on this forum supporting passing on a blind corner with oncoming traffic. I could care less if the riders, took only themselves out. Unfortunately often they take out "innocents" in their "quest for the next rush".

Having said that, people have been riding beyond their limits for decades. I once attended an autopsy, where the person involved had lost control of his bike went off road hit a tree, (by that time his body was traveling perpendicular to the ground). He measured 1" taller at his autopsy than he did in life, due to the force of the impact. That was VERY early 80's so it has been going on even long before that.

It isn't a matter of "your either with us or your against us" It also isn't OUR responsibility as riders to approach these riders at a gas station to try to talk sense to them. Hell if as a cop in full uniform I couldn't get through to them does anyone really think they are going to listen to "some OLD dude" at a gas station which is how they will view anyone over 35..lol. But I see nothing harmful in the OP's post, maybe they will read it, and when their out it may pop into their head.

Then there should be no complaints about 'they are giving us a bad image'...right...or is this just a complaints fest for fun.
I thought the police had some catchy slogan for the public, SEE something SAY something...???

Back
Top Bottom