Another ear protection thread | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Another ear protection thread

Why not use in-ear monitors? Etymotics or Shures, or whatever?

That way, you bypass the speakers and get the noise isolation from the earphone.

Don't like cords! I also have a bunch of bluetooth earbuds but their design won’t make for a comfortable fit with a helmet. To be clear, I don’t expect to get concert hall performance out of my music while I ride. I just want some. The most important aspect is the noise attenuation/reduction from whatever I’m shoving in my ears. Foamies have done the job for a long time, I’m just seeing if any of this new stuff can do any better. If it means my music sounds better and I can lower the volume then that’s a bonus.

Don't like cords! I also have a bunch of bluetooth earbuds but their design won’t make for a comfortable fit with a helmet. To be clear, I don’t expect to get concert hall performance out of my music while I ride. I just want some. The most important aspect is the noise attenuation/reduction from whatever I’m shoving in my ears. Foamies have done the job for a long time, I’m just seeing if any of this new stuff can do any better. If it means my music sounds better and I can lower the volume then that’s a bonus.
try the ones i got. i tuck it under the jacket, no fuss no muss.

I bought custom molded ear plugs last year. I think it was $80 or $90 per ear. I'm very happy with them. They replaced a different custom molded pair that I bought in probably 2009ish, so I definitely got my monies worth out of the first pair.

Schuberth C3. $400
I have a C3 Pro and still use foamy ear plugs to get it quieter.
Fortunately, my tinnitus sounds like the ocean so far.

C3 is okay but I think the claims are over rated for quiet. I bought mine used for $300 and would not touch them at $6-800. which is new in box price,
Absolutely lousy shield mechanism but the pinlock is terrific when it fogs up.
It is a warm helmet too.

Most things sound worse at max. Also, having the car beside you at a light judge you for listening to (insert embarassing music choice here) is less likely if you aren't cranked all the way up.
I use an ipod with volume on at about 80% and the Sena volume is set to what is comfortable for me. Bluetooth connected. If music is playing I can't hear anything from the speakers when the helmet is off my head, so I'm not blasting anyone, including me.

I’ll get more battery life at lower volume too.
I leave my ipod on all day and it uses about 20% of the battery. The Sena can be the limiter as it dies after about 8 hours. Turning it off when stopped for coffee and lunch helps to extend its life for a whole day ride. My new Sena is Bluetooth only, old Scala had a cable option and this extended battery life.

Most things sound worse at max. Also, having the car beside you at a light judge you for listening to (insert embarassing music choice here) is less likely if you aren't cranked all the way up.

we're bikers we get judged regardless!

Please can you share this helmet brand, price and availability?
Thanks!

One thing I can guarantee is that no one helmet is certain to be quieter than another based on someone else's experience. For example: I have a Shark Spartan helmet that I dearly love, and it's by far the quietest helmet I've ever owned. That includes Shoeis, Arais, a KBC, an HJC, and other Shark helmets. But if you look up reviews of the same helmet, you will find lots of people complaining about how loud it is. The same is true of most helmets, with some swearing one model is the quietest ever, with others cursing how loud it is.

My theory is simple: minute differences in how our helmets interact with the airflow around our particular bike can make big differences in wind noise. The factors are almost infinite, between our height, body shape (longer/shorter arms, torso, neck, etc.), bike, windscreen, suspension setup (front high or low), posture, etc. Some of the Brit bike magazines who love doing in-depth product testing don't bother getting too scientific about helmet noise because the results aren't reproducible or consistent.

That's not to say that some helmets aren't inherently quieter, as the less turbulence, the less noise. In contrast to the Spartan, my Shark Race-R Pro is quite noisy because it's covered in vents for cooling and fins for stability. But unfortunately I don't believe any one helmet can be guaranteed to be quiet for a different rider on a different bike.

All that to contradict myself by saying that generally, Shuberths are thought to be among the quieter brands, as they are less concerned than others with giving their helmets aggressive or otherwise style-driven shapes. Here's a Champion Helmets video on what they think are the 10 quietest helmets, but I wouldn't put too much stock in being guaranteed anything other than they're the ten quietest with that rider on that bike:

One thing I can guarantee is that no one helmet is certain to be quieter than another based on someone else's experience. For example: I have a Shark Spartan helmet that I dearly love, and it's by far the quietest helmet I've ever owned. That includes Shoeis, Arais, a KBC, an HJC, and other Shark helmets. But if you look up reviews of the same helmet, you will find lots of people complaining about how loud it is. The same is true of most helmets, with some swearing one model is the quietest ever, with others cursing how loud it is.

My theory is simple: minute differences in how our helmets interact with the airflow around our particular bike can make big differences in wind noise. The factors are almost infinite, between our height, body shape (longer/shorter arms, torso, neck, etc.), bike, windscreen, suspension setup (front high or low), posture, etc. Some of the Brit bike magazines who love doing in-depth product testing don't bother getting too scientific about helmet noise because the results aren't reproducible or consistent.

That's not to say that some helmets aren't inherently quieter, as the less turbulence, the less noise. In contrast to the Spartan, my Shark Race-R Pro is quite noisy because it's covered in vents for cooling and fins for stability. But unfortunately I don't believe any one helmet can be guaranteed to be quiet for a different rider on a different bike.

All that to contradict myself by saying that generally, Shuberths are thought to be among the quieter brands, as they are less concerned than others with giving their helmets aggressive or otherwise style-driven shapes. Here's a Champion Helmets video on what they think are the 10 quietest helmets, but I wouldn't put too much stock in being guaranteed anything other than they're the ten quietest with that rider on that bike:

Makes sense!
I have an older Shark and it is quieter than my more recent Bell purchase.
I use the Shark more often.

Ok so this was my first long ride with the new earplugs and they are a success. I have no idea what voodoo they use but the music in my helmet was clearer than it’s ever been and the wind noise was very well muted. Some thoughts…it really depends on how you insert the plugs as to how effective and how comfortable they are. If you follow the instructions all is well. If you try to push an already expanded plug deeper to get a better seal it doesn’t work well and is uncomfortable. I’m very happy with these but they look like they might easily be lost so be careful with them if you buy them.

Makes sense!
I have an older Shark and it is quieter than my more recent Bell purchase.
I use the Shark more often.

I took a set of headphone ear pads and “installed” them in the speaker cavity of my Bell helmet. They fit perfectly around my in-helmet speakers, cut down the wind noise with no negative impact on music.

Still wear ear plugs of course.

66f16d0271a3e7e31a6ce0b7868386c9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom