An amazing course for both street and track riders | GTAMotorcycle.com

An amazing course for both street and track riders

Metastable

I'll try to keep this brief. I did the 3 day Yamaha Champions School at Miller Motorsports park. More than half the class had never been to the track and were riding strictly to improve their street riding ability. There were a couple of amateur racers, 4 or 5 guys that either just did trackdays or wanted to get into racing. The group was pretty diverse. FYI this is the continuation of the old Freddie Spencer school.

It was incredible... they completely break down your riding and force you to change your riding... body position, where you look, how you brake and accelerate into and out of corners, how to read corners, make you do wacky drills that have a good purpose. Basically they make you ride faster and safer. 1 crash on the first day and that as it. I have never ridden so fast in my whole life and by the end of the 3rd day I felt like I could do ANYTHING with the bike.

I know it isn't realistic, but I wish EVERYONE that rides a motorcycle on pavement (street or track) had the opportunity to take this course. I am not discouraging anyone from taking other courses, but this one was just incredible!

Everyone's riding improved immensely. IMO it was worth every penny and I'm really glad I did the 3 day course as opposed to the 2 day course.

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/riding-school/yamaha-champions-riding-school.html

$3400 + plane ticket + hotel? Wow.

...we're not all rich =(

How does that compare to a broken bike, a hospital stay and relatives ****** off that you ride a bike? How much is it worth to you, to make it safely to breakfast on a weekend ride? How many crashes might it reduce if you are a regular track rider? How much money would you lose for time off work? It isn't inexpensive, but it is worth every penny. And in the grand scheme of things, it is cheap compared what happens to riders that aren't as skilled as they could. Which is almost everyone. It took me two years to make it down there.... but I am so glad I did.

EDIT -> Plus honestly, how many of you guys have more than one bike? And how many of those bikes cost as much as the course? Just saying.

sweet!

i'll put that on my "to do list"

I agree with Metastable. Courses like this are worth every penny. Did the Total Control level on Saturday and wow there is so much every rider can learn and improve on, we had guys in our course riding for more than 40 years and they learnt and improved so much too. Can't wait to get onto a track too after taking the course.

oh so if we don't take an advanced course we're going to die? oh ok.

see you in my mirrors

from not wanting to spend thousands and a plane ticket!

Ok, but no one said you were going to crash and die if you don't take the course:) Advanced courses also don't prevent death either....lol Sorry, I'm in a wierd and rambling type mood.

The OP already said he knows it isn't realistic for everyone to do. Ok, sorry I'm done now.

see you in my mirrors

Lol.

"see you in my mirrors" lmao ..

Ive rode with Metastable before, you would see nothing but his tail lights trailing off in the distance.

BTW, I am not saying if you don't take the course you will end up in the hospital. I was making reference to WHAT IF you could avoid a crash by taking the course..... WOULD that make the course worth it? I think in many cases it would. Maybe you'd see me in your mirrors.... I do my thing.... thing is by the third day I was WAAAY quicker than I have ever been at the track and I had a much bigger margin for error. It's a great course.

Lol.

"see you in my mirrors" lmao ..

Ive rode with Metastable before, you would see nothing but his tail lights trailing off in the distance.

LoL i dunno i rode with vrus on the street what 2 summers ago now and he was pretty quick with zero track experience. Hey that brings a good question, why havent i seen you at the track yet vrus!?!?!?!

And to metastables last post, he seriously underestimates my ability to fall down on a motorcycle. Cool story. I'd love to run the MMP course that the ama/wsbk guys do.

see you in my mirrors

LOL, only if you park in front of me :p

hah!

safety: here is my point, you don't need to take an advanced course to ride safe, and you don't need to spend $3000 to ride safe and fast. I got my education and knowledge for free.

speed: i aint knocking this, if it helps with time, technique it helps. I wouldn't spend that much on a school even if it made me 3 seconds faster on the track!

yah i'll be at shannonville for the first time june 14th and maybe 27th after that!

man if i do end up in the hospital, i'm never going to hear the end of this. :D

Ooooo thats way too tempting to come spank you around a track with my little SV on your big boy 600 lol (not sure if you actually remember me from sal's ride on the silver ZZR)

Well - I guess vrus must be a natural, because the likes (I suck at spelling names, so they might be a bit off) of Martin Cardenas, Tommy Aquino, Elena Myers, Jason Disalvo (AMA class record pole positions) are graduates of the same school.... after they were top level racers and they are still coached on race weekends by these instructors..... they all learned and became better riders as a result. Personally, I don't know how one can gauge what they know and don't know without some form of top level coaching. One can be a safe street rider, but there is usually still huge amounts of improvement available. I've always considered myself a safe street rider, I would be an even safer one now. You never stop learning, but sometimes you can learn a lot more than you think you can.

Anyhoo - to each their own.

Ooooo thats way too tempting to come spank you around a track with my little SV on your big boy 600 lol (not sure if you actually remember me from sal's ride on the silver ZZR)

haha! i miss my sv; you need to come back out on sal's rides!

Well - I guess vrus must be a natural, because the likes (I suck at spelling names, so they might be a bit off) of Martin Cardenas, Tommy Aquino, Elena Myers, Jason Disalvo (AMA class record pole positions) are graduates of the same school.... after they were top level racers and they are still coached on race weekends by these instructors..... they all learned and became better riders as a result. Personally, I don't know how one can gauge what they know and don't know without some form of top level coaching. One can be a safe street rider, but there is usually still huge amounts of improvement available. I've always considered myself a safe street rider, I would be an even safer one now. You never stop learning, but sometimes you can learn a lot more than you think you can.

Anyhoo - to each their own.

yah you missed my point. i get what you're saying that the more you're educated, the better rider you are. I am just pointing out all those worst case scenarios still happen regardless what course you take and what level you are at. I just don't think it's worth the investment if you aren't gunning for champion or have the $$$, but that's IMO.

I'll take this next year =D.

Nothing wrong with learning something right the first time.

Back
Top Bottom