ALS Ice Bucket Challenge thoughts | GTAMotorcycle.com

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge thoughts

Kuro

Site Supporter
Does any one else feel that most people who are actually doing this challenge are doing it for the wrong reasons?

From what I've seen so far, there are people who briefly mention they're doing it for ALS and then there are some that don't even mention ALS at all. They're quick to just get to dumping cold water on themselves and film it for.... popularity?

And if they do dump the ice bucket, they're evading donating $100 and copping out with only $10. (if that)

I'm curious to how many people even bothered to find out what ALS stands for, even though the excuse used is to "raise awareness".

As for celebrities, Charlie Sheen had the right idea. **** the ice bucket, have a bucket of cash instead.
Though it does appear that most celebrities do both, donate and dump themselves, I have no beef with that.

In the big scheme of things, the charity does win, even if some people have no idea about what ALS is, awareness doe go up.

the charity is reaping some benefit, even if some people are not contributing. This is a classic example of the power of social media.

As with anything there will be those that are doing it for the right reasons, and there will also be those with the "me too" mentality that have no clue of what they are even endorsing

I agree with both of you.

I have much respect for this marketing scheme, so succesful, and for the ALS itself. But the "challenge" is now a "bandwagon", and everybody wants to jump in, even without donating.

I just saw a video posted by Scotiabank with their executives getting wet. WTF? Scotiabank has its own charities of choice, and ALS was not one of them. Basically, the bank never pay any attention to them, but now that the challenge is all over the news... the want to to get wet. This is an effort to get into the Ice Bucket bandwagon...

At first it seemed to me to be a pretty novel idea. Until I found out that once you are challenged you either took the bucket (and paid $10) or paid $100. Either way it seems to me to be trying to guilt someone into donating to a charity. ALS is not my charity of choice. There is no way someone is going to try to get me to donate. Good luck to them. This was either a genius idea or one that just got away from them.

From the reports I have read on this, ALS has come out very well in terms of donations for this year alone, last year this time I heard they had only gotten around 1.5 million in donations. So far this year they are close to 15 million. I agree alot of people are doing in for the fame and glory of it and probably not donating at all.

At first it seemed to me to be a pretty novel idea. Until I found out that once you are challenged you either took the bucket (and paid $10) or paid $100. Either way it seems to me to be trying to guilt someone into donating to a charity. ALS is not my charity of choice. There is no way someone is going to try to get me to donate. Good luck to them. This was either a genius idea or one that just got away from them.

Why don't we come up with the Ride for Sight's "Baseball Bat Challenge"?

You either donate $100, or a biker will visit you to knock you out with a baseball bat.

www.rideforsight.com

Everybody wins!

It's definitely raised awareness. For me at least. But I definitely have some friends who are doing it because it's the trendy thing to do.

I got nominated three times and instead of making a video I just donated. And I'm getting more **** for doing this than those who made the video and didn't donate. Riddle me that

It's Kony 2012, but with donations to a charity.

Wonder what the next one will be?

This is just like raising money for some dead guys' kids. People are doing it all wrong.

Why don't we come up with the Ride for Sight's "Baseball Bat Challenge"?

You either donate $100, or a biker will visit you to knock you out with a baseball bat.

www.rideforsight.com

Everybody wins!

Or if you're fan of irony they could do a "Run With Scissors Challenge"

How about that Rob Ford, wearing a waterproof top, with an election sign on the wall behind him.

How about that Rob Ford, wearing a waterproof top, with an election sign on the wall behind him.

He didn't become mayor by being stupid thats for sure.

the_first_mass_ice_bucket_challenge_big.jpg

Does any one else feel that most people who are actually doing this challenge are doing it for the wrong reasons?

From what I've seen so far, there are people who briefly mention they're doing it for ALS and then there are some that don't even mention ALS at all. They're quick to just get to dumping cold water on themselves and film it for.... popularity?

And if they do dump the ice bucket, they're evading donating $100 and copping out with only $10. (if that)

Patrick Stewart got it.

[video=youtube;wkO4NIqAMss]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkO4NIqAMss[/video]

Back
Top Bottom