all weather vs winter | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

all weather vs winter

But, how many times have we seen vehicles or all kinds off the side of an off ramp or on ramp or can’t get up a slight incline or needs a push or whatever? Every year without fail.
yep, usually a BMW X5 too.

Oh ****!

A "trick" for negotiating DEEP snow is skid plates.
The bottom of your car/truck is a pretty good plow in deep snow. The snow packs under your vehicle and it " high centers".
Skid plates pack down the snow, using very little energy, allowing the wheels to stay in contact with the ground.

... and the way REAL snow tires work in snow is kinda counter intuitive.
The aggressive tread is not to "cut" through the snow, the tread is supposed to fill or pack with cold snow, allowing you to get traction, snow on snow. Warm rubber melts the snow, creating slush, which is very slippery. Cold dry snow gets decent traction on cold, dry snow.

I think they’re difficult to sell because unless they come off the same car, people aren’t 100% sure they’ll fit. I’ve learned that just because the bolt pattern works doesn’t mean the wheels will fit. Plus there’s always the concern of cracked rims, worn down tires and other unknowns if you’re not sure what to look for. Let’s face it most people don’t even know how to read their tire size, let alone change a tire. And some prefer to have everything done for them and are willing to pay for the service.
I’ve never seen so many ads for mobile tire change service as this year.
I have had success, when selling wheels, to look up a few of the most common vehicles that they will fit and just put that in the ad (along with the bolt pattern, offset, and dimensions for those that can use it)

... and the way REAL snow tires work in snow is kinda counter intuitive.
The aggressive tread is not to "cut" through the snow, the tread is supposed to fill or pack with cold snow, allowing you to get traction, snow on snow. Warm rubber melts the snow, creating slush, which is very slippery. Cold dry snow gets decent traction on cold, dry snow.

my BS meter flew to full alert when I read this and the subsequent laughter followed.

right from the bridgestone website, I think they know thing or two about winter tires....

The Tread Depth and Patterns - A unique feature of winter tires is deeper tread depths and unique tread patterns. Deeper tread depths reduce snow buildup and provide better traction on the snow. Winter tire tread patterns are designed to channel snow and slush and expel water.

if you've seen any proper winter tires in action, you will see Bridgestones interpretation is correct as you can see the snow flinging away as the tire digs in to gain traction. As for ice thats often found when all that snow is vacated......

Biting Edges - Winter tires also feature an increased number of biting edges and high sipe densities, or in other words, thousands of tiny slits in the tread that provide traction on ice.

Bridgestone Blizzak tires also feature a proprietary multi-cell compound that acts as a sponge to help remove the thin layer of water that resides on ice and cause slippage. This helps to improve traction in icy conditions so you can maintain control of your vehicle. Check out our Blizzak DM-V2 winter tire for a closer look at how this tire provides confident driving in snow and icy conditions.

BTW, I don't buy the skidplate argument either........ from my experience, when I had skidplates on my suv, it acted as a "launch" pad for driving up on to deep snow, sometimes beaching the vehicle.

Last edited:
my BS meter flew to full alert when I read this and the subsequent laughter followed.
Now you know how the rest of us feel. ?

I can attest to the Blizzack tires being AMAZING in winter...had them on my '07 Mazda Miata and man, that thing was fun in the snow...you could see the rooster tail of snow being flung out when I was driving to Milton from Oakville one night northbound on Hwy 25...I miss that car... :D

I have had success, when selling wheels, to look up a few of the most common vehicles that they will fit and just put that in the ad (along with the bolt pattern, offset, and dimensions for those that can use it)

Yup, because people will usually include the model of their vehicle in a search. This site helps, but is not 100% accurate. At least it will point you in the right direction:

Blizzacks are only good for a few seasons tho. My wife's civic has them. They were really good for about three years, and then they were just like any other 4 season tire. Soft compound only stays soft for so long.

Sunny: don't let your lack of reading comprehension hold you back
YOU GO GIRL!!!

If you go back and re-read what I wrote I said "...the way REAL snow tires....", to which you reply with some stuff from Bridgestone about WINTER TIRES.
I'm guessing you didn't know that WINTER tires are not the same as SNOW tires. Two different classes of tire.
All snow tires are winter tires, but not all winter tires are snow tires. Blizzacks are WINTER tires. The article from Bridgestone you cited describes them as winter tires (We're going to ignore M&S [mud and snow] tires.they're not necessarily winter tires, depending on where you buy them)
Winter tires are designed for cold weather and have a tread design to deal with some snow and slush. Lots of sips. Winter tires are good for city dwellers.
Snow tires are designed for driving in snow, lots of snow, deep snow, and have open tread with big lugs, so they will fill/pack with cold dry snow, to maximize traction on cold dry snow.
Snow tires are for those of us that live where they don't plow the roads as regularly as they could.
Snow tires are LOUD and get lousy traction on wet pavement
... NO, they get lousy traction on anything but cold dry snow.

As to
BTW, I don't buy the skidplate argument either........ from my experience, when I had skidplates on my suv, it acted as a "launch" pad for driving up on to deep snow, sometimes beaching the vehicle.
Snow WILL NOT support the weight of a SUV.
Packed snow or ice might.
Driving through snow is not the same as driving though ice or packed snow. A skid plate may or may not help crashing through a snow windrow but they're great for a foot of snow on top of a road.

Go to the Tall Pines rally next year. We don't get one this year. THANKS COVID
Look under any car and you'll find it skid plated.
Ask the owner and/or driver why the car is skid plated.

I'ma gunna go with thousands of rally racers and personal experience over your opinion OK?

BTW: did you see they're working on a new hydrogen cracking process that is economical?

Snow WILL NOT support the weight of a SUV.
Learned that one the hard way lol....18 years old, moms Pathfinder, packed snow where the plows dump all the snow at wasaga. Driving around thinking I’m hot **** and see the snow....remember the Nissan commercials where the pathfinder goes through it like butter.

I can drive over that I thought....10ft pile
turn on 4WD
Hit the gas
Promptly get stuck before the rear wheels made it into the pack

3 hours of digging out with a snow brush.....**** I was stupid...

but good time were had in that car. Plus I’m only alive because I got t-boned in that thing by an F150 instead of my own 89 Sentra.

I find it's the sedans stuck on a slope.

Mainly sport sedans with front engine + RWD.

Doesn't matter if you have winter tires or not, if there's no weight over the driven wheels, you're gonna spin them on snow/ice on a steep enough slope.

One bad snowfall, myself and a bunch of other cars couldn't make it up the hill on Mt Pleasant from Bloor. Had to turn around and park at Yonge & Bloor and take the subway home. Had Blizzaks on, but could have used a few bags of sand in the trunk on my RWD car.

Mainly sport sedans with front engine + RWD.

Doesn't matter if you have winter tires or not, if there's no weight over the driven wheels, you're gonna spin them on snow/ice on a steep enough slope.

One bad snowfall, myself and a bunch of other cars couldn't make it up the hill on Mt Pleasant from Bloor. Had to turn around and park at Yonge & Bloor and take the subway home. Had Blizzaks on, but could have used a few bags of sand in the trunk on my RWD car.
Had a beat up RWD Hornet Hatchback with a 258 straight six.

Used to drive up & down Morningside Ave in Scarborough on bald all season tires in the winter - it can be done.
Just need to get a good steady run at it, and steer lightly to avoid the vehicles sliding down the hill.

Google Maps

Had a beat up RWD Hornet Hatchback with a 258 straight six.

Used to drive up & down Morningside Ave in Scarborough on bald all season tires in the winter - it can be done.
Just need to get a good steady run at it, and steer lightly to avoid the vehicles sliding down the hill.

Google Maps

Yeah, you don't get a good steady run up Mt Pleasant during rush hour...

Back
Top Bottom