Advice on Tires for Fall, Spring and Summer riding | GTAMotorcycle.com

Advice on Tires for Fall, Spring and Summer riding

the_mueg

Hi,

I currently have Dunlop sportmax tires that I have worn out and need to get a replacement for. So far I have only done summer riding and this year I will be riding through fall, winter and spring. Just to be clear, when I say winter I mean dry conditions with almost 0 salt on the road and no snow. I will not be riding during the other times in winter. The tires I am looking for are sport touring. After reading a lot I found that Pilot Road 2 or Pilot Road 3 tires seem to be a fit for the kind of conditions I may experience in the fall or spring. The reviews are good for those tires. I am curious to know if any of you have used them for riding in Toronto and if anyone has advice on other tires that are more suitable for the type of weather we get to experience around here in Fall, Spring conditions.

So far the tires that I looked at are:

Pilot road 2 and Pilot road 3
pirelli angel ST
z6 metzler
bridgestone 016
Avon storm ST

My other question is about riding in sub-zero temperatures and this is where I found a lack of information for those tires. Does anyone have any idea as to how these tires would behave in sub-zero temperatures? I absolutely don't mind buying winter tires for winter use and having summer tires for summer use as I know that its very difficult to impossible to get something that works best in all these conditions. Any tire recommendations would be appreciated.

I am also curios of this as I do a lot of late season riding,I just picked up a set of pirelli corsa IIIs, over pilot road 2s, might not have made a good choice :( but I did spend 250 dollars less then a set of new pr2s with installation.

Last edited:
the colder it gets the slippery thoes (pirelli corsa IIIs) tires will feel....after the sun goes down
it would be better to change to road 2's....
or run the pc3's down at 28 psi starting now..as the colder days are here

Hi,

Pilot road 2 and Pilot road 3

My other question is about riding in sub-zero temperatures and this is where I found a lack of information for those tires. Does anyone have any idea as to how these tires would behave in sub-zero temperatures? I absolutely don't mind buying winter tires for winter use and having summer tires for summer use as I know that its very difficult to impossible to get something that works best in all these conditions. Any tire recommendations would be appreciated.

these 2 tires would be awesome at 26 psi in the winter.....(minus the ice)
my pures ran great at -20 last winter !!!!!!

I am also curios of this as I do a lot of late season riding,I just picked up a set of pirelli corsa IIIs, over pilot road 2s, might not have made a good choice :( but I did spend 250 dollars less then a set of new pr2s with installation.
how much did you pay for your corsas if they were 250 less?

For sport touring you are fine with the pr2 or 3 as mentioned above, I am assuming that you wont be draggin knees through the winter months so the grip will still be sufficient.

how much did you pay for your corsas if they were 250 less?

For sport touring you are fine with the pr2 or 3 as mentioned above, I am assuming that you wont be draggin knees through the winter months so the grip will still be sufficient.

Think hockey pucks.

Sufficient grip hardly.

Mine were "sufficient" up to -5 plus whatever the windchill was.

Riding in a straight sure, they are going to be sufficient.

Braking, accelerating and cornering thats a different matter.

Considering the OP is going to attempt riding in the off season for the first time, you guys should at least be posting something worth while. Sufficient grip or hockey pucks, which one is more at topic?

Anything below 8 c and automotive tires performance drops significantly, what makes you think a motorcycle tire is any better than a cage tire for winter?

[h=3]The Michelin Pilot Road 3 is it a tyre for use in the rain or a winter tyre?[/h]Michelin Pilot Road 3 is siped, it’s the sipes that allows excellent performance in the wet but also performs like the Michelin Pilot road 2 in the dry. This is absolutely not a tyre destined uniquely for use in the wet or a winter tyre, its multi functional, adapted to all temperatures and conditions all weather riding conditions
* excluding icy and snowy surfaces
http://www.michelin.co.uk/motorcycles/michelin-pilot-road-3

Back
Top Bottom