adv vs traditional sport tourer? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

adv vs traditional sport tourer?

Call me shallow but, I prefer a bike that looks good as well as comfort. The adv styles have that rugged and purposeful look.

The sport touring is more sleek.

I mostly stay on tarmac so sport touring does it for me. My uncle has a loaded GS and it’s a beast. But, it doesn’t bring a smile to my face when it’s parked. Only when riding it, does the smiles come.

Manufacturers are developing their adv bikes more where as the ST models just mild enhancements. So, it seams adv is the way to go.

I’m still eyeing a nice K or R series Beamer as they just look like they are begging me to ride them. So it’s appearances for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some more food for thought. Adv bikes often have crash bars, so easy to fit highway pegs for extra comfort or lights for extra visibility. The foot pegs and brake pedal on ADV bikes are usually made for chunkier boots and for standing and may be a bit wider for added comfort. Wheel types often include wire spoked for Adv bikes and probably not for sport tourers. Pros: can fix a bent wheel a bit easier with wire spoked vs cast. Cons: wire spoked can require adjustment every now and then although I’ve only ever had to do mine once. Cast wheels are likely better if you’re just on road as long as you don’t hit big potholes etc though.

Seating position on an ADV bike for me is comfortable as I have a neck issue that means if I’m leant too far forward and craning my neck upwards that’s not comfortable (eg on a sports orientated bike) but conversely a full upright sitting stance puts weight on your tailbone which can also be uncomfortable for long periods. My bike seems to have a slight cant forward which is good. You need to try things out and maybe add bar risers too.

Engines: I don’t know about the Teneres but many of the other ADV bikes have engines tuned for torque down low and quite a few have triples or twins that can be vibey. I have grip puppies and anti-vibration handlebar inserts on mine to counter that. It doesn’t bother me but it may bother you if you like inline 4’s for example that are smoother.

Buffeting: never had a bike yet that didn’t have buffeting under some conditions. I’ve had silent buffeting free rides on my bike when the wind is non-existent/unicorn direction and I’ve had rides where my head gets blown all over the place. Average ride isn’t an issue. Lots of things you can do that don’t look as goofy on an ADV bike as on a sports tourer. Madstadt screens for example or x-screens.

An ADV bike with scratches and mud on looks better than a sleek sports tourer with the same. + I am lazy.

Here's my musings on my experiences owning both:

I went from a sport bike (GSX-S1000F) to an adv bike (KTM 790) and now I'm going back to a sport touring bike (already bought it but it hasn't been delivered yet). I just couldn't get used to adventure bikes, they feel so big and bulky to me and just don't feel as much fun to ride. Also I greatly prefer the feel of an inline 4 over a twin, I just like the way it delivers power, sounds better too.

I don't find my adv bike any more comfortable for long days than my sport bike was. I'm talking about a regular sport bike which has you in a slight lean, not a supersport which has you leaned way over.

The only advantage of the adv bike was that you aren't limited to just pavement.

We I am pretty well versed on this one as I just completed a 5512 km ride to the Gaspe and Cape Breton on my new 1250 GSA with 3 other ADV bikes.I have had many other bikes over my 40 + years of riding and the AdV bikes suit my modern riding needs so well.
On our ride the fun roads for the most part we’re pretty rough and chewed up and we did have a bit of dirt and our bikes handled it so well.A bit of electronic adjustment and you were at the optimum setting for the conditions.We had a few 12 + hour days and still physically able to function and I cannot say that about every bike that I owned.
I am looking at buying a smaller adventure bike as I have decided a 600 lb bike is not really suitable for a 68 year old to ride off road with any good skills.

Last edited:
Here's my musings on my experiences owning both:

I went from a sport bike (GSX-S1000F) to an adv bike (KTM 790) and now I'm going back to a sport touring bike (already bought it but it hasn't been delivered yet). I just couldn't get used to adventure bikes, they feel so big and bulky to me and just don't feel as much fun to ride. Also I greatly prefer the feel of an inline 4 over a twin, I just like the way it delivers power, sounds better too.

I don't find my adv bike any more comfortable for long days than my sport bike was. I'm talking about a regular sport bike which has you in a slight lean, not a supersport which has you leaned way over.

The only advantage of the adv bike was that you aren't limited to just pavement.

What are you getting?

Sport oriented rider here. I don't ride on dirt. For a rental (not about to buy either), I will take a BMW F800GT or R over a GS every time, and I've put mileage on all. The GS is too high, too soft, too vague, available tires are subpar for pavement. Luggage capacity is same. The comically soft suspension led to cornering clearance being an issue (for how I ride) despite the bike being so high. Never scraped anything on a GT or R.

Sport oriented rider here. I don't ride on dirt. For a rental (not about to buy either), I will take a BMW F800GT or R over a GS every time, and I've put mileage on all. The GS is too high, too soft, too vague, available tires are subpar for pavement. Luggage capacity is same. The comically soft suspension led to cornering clearance being an issue (for how I ride) despite the bike being so high. Never scraped anything on a GT or R.
ah, but what if you had to put on serious miles? 500-1k days

The modern GS’s are far from being soft lazy handling bikes with the adaptive suspension and different riding modes.In dynamic pro you can back off the ABS,adjust the throttle reponse,engine braking,wheelie control,Shock damping.Yes it’s not a sport bike but pretty dam good and a 1000+ km day is not a stretch.

What "modern GS"?

Everyone in that sport oriented group was on all available GS varieties as of 2019, and we all had pretty similar complaints. Only reason we were on GS models is that it's all the rental agency had.

The GT that I rented in Spain last fall did not need any of the high tech help in order to not have those complaints about it.

It's comfortable enough for all day rides. Did that.

The GS would be vastly helped on pavement by higher spring rates and being lowered slightly (and better pavement oriented tires). But that's a F800R.

I understand that some models nowadays are being set up for pavement...Ducati Multistrada, perhaps? Look for 17" wheels and ride height that is not excessive...

What "modern GS"?

Everyone in that sport oriented group was on all available GS varieties as of 2019, and we all had pretty similar complaints. Only reason we were on GS models is that it's all the rental agency had.

The GT that I rented in Spain last fall did not need any of the high tech help in order to not have those complaints about it.

It's comfortable enough for all day rides. Did that.

The GS would be vastly helped on pavement by higher spring rates and being lowered slightly (and better pavement oriented tires). But that's a F800R.

I understand that some models nowadays are being set up for pavement...Ducati Multistrada, perhaps? Look for 17" wheels and ride height that is not excessive...
All my GS and GSA’s have been low suspension versions and if you need more turn clearance and want it turn better just crank up the rear ride height by the electronic preload adjustment.Pretty easy and for the most part staying with so called sporty bikes is not an issue.I have had a VFR in my past and GS’s are a better handling bike especially loaded up for touring like the 5500 km trip like I just did3D226B8F-FBA6-4771-BFCD-2D1F31D0094B.jpeg

Last edited:
I have never driven a gs but the difference between a Yamaha Tenre and a KTM 1190s is like between a 80s Buick and a new Corvette in terms of how it feels and handles. Despite both seeming similar on paper.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Suspension limits for handling are highly rider dependent. Some riders simply work suspension more than others; What's fine for one will be a floppy mess in someone else's hands. It's not a judgment, just a matter of pace and preference. To be blunt, saying a bike can keep up with whatever is a meaningless metric, as it's all about the riders involved. I can keep up with a TT superbike in the wrong hands, and ex-racers will dance away from me on any old thing, especially if the riding is Pace-like, with straights (and therefore pure hp) not being much of a factor.

In other words, horses for courses. I'd happily tour for weeks on my Tuono if it didn't have such a ridiculously short tank range, but most would complain about the high pegs and hard seat...

Main difference for me, is that if I had a proper sport touring bike, I wouldn't have a license.

I just traded a triumph 1050 tiger, which looked ADV but was sport touring in reality. I have an actual sport tour now, unless your actually going ADV riding , a lot of what they do wont be useful, but they have capacity. Sport touring in essence is not about luggage loaded tours , its a clean T shirt and your visa card.
Buying the wrong bike is expensive and sad. Think about where your going and what your doing, then buy something that makes sense for what you do.

I just traded a triumph 1050 tiger, which looked ADV but was sport touring in reality. I have an actual sport tour now, unless your actually going ADV riding , a lot of what they do wont be useful, but they have capacity. Sport touring in essence is not about luggage loaded tours , its a clean T shirt and your visa card.
Buying the wrong bike is expensive and sad. Think about where your going and what your doing, then buy something that makes sense for what you do.

What are you riding now?

That's a bit far IMNSHO :unsure:....I think sport touring is more than T-shirt and VISA....which can be any sports bike...or any bike for that matter.

I think sport tourer handles pavement near sports bike capable with less agressive ergos and can be fitted for distance touring.

The newest Triumph ADV I've ridden is my '69 TR25. This weekend I have a chance to try a 1200 Rally which belongs to my son's friend who's passing thru on a cross-country tour.

There are things to consider other than performance and style -- If you're touring and munching a lot of miles you want to consider reliability, dealer network, and TCO. Touring takes you a long way from the GTA, having a good dealer network is important (having a bike that rarely or never needs a dealer visit is important to me). If you're clicking off miles by the thousands, maintenance costs and schedules can be big factors as well.

Back
Top Bottom