ADV fad | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

ADV fad

There is definitely a learning curve. But your X I would think is more than capable of fire road and double track. When I brought home my 1190 I hit the gravel on a seasonal road and crashed. For two years I didn’t go on trails thinking it was to big of a bike. This is not true. Depending on what your expectations are.
I watched lots of you tube videos specific to Technique and ADV bikes.
Tried very hard to adapt And follow the tips and tricks given.
This year I started venturing Off-road with a buddy that bought a new 890 adv.
Neither of us have had previous dirt bikes.
I am no expert by any stretch. I am no Chris birch. But in 6 or so rides I can Ride across the Ganny, and Northumberland forests. I can confidently ride the rail trails and seasonal roads. I have learned techniques that make picking the bike up much easier than the first lift. I have only dropped it a couple times.
No damage no injuries. I have fixed a flat trail side.
Note I’m not flying through the forest, my trail speed is but a crawl.
Usually between 10 & 50kph and that’s enough for me.
The sand around here is definitely challenging but I’m getting better.

An under appreciated part of off road prowess is fitness level and general health.

As I recall you also mountain bike so you're likely in pretty good shape and good general health. I know from experience that being in good shape goes a long way to upping ones general confidence riding off road as well as your actual performance.

An under appreciated part of off road prowess is fitness level and general health.

As I recall you also mountain bike so you're likely in pretty good shape and good general health. I know from experience that being in good shape goes a long way to upping ones general confidence riding off road as well as your actual performance.
100%. This was the only reason I survived back few years ADAR rally through single tracks on my XR650L with absolute zero dirt experience :) But man was it hard!! And made me take TrailTours courses ever since every year once

There is definitely a learning curve. But your X I would think is more than capable of fire road and double track. When I brought home my 1190 I hit the gravel on a seasonal road and crashed. For two years I didn’t go on trails thinking it was to big of a bike. This is not true. Depending on what your expectations are.
I watched lots of you tube videos specific to Technique and ADV bikes.
Tried very hard to adapt And follow the tips and tricks given.
This year I started venturing Off-road with a buddy that bought a new 890 adv.
Neither of us have had previous dirt bikes.
I am no expert by any stretch. I am no Chris birch. But in 6 or so rides I can Ride across the Ganny, and Northumberland forests. I can confidently ride the rail trails and seasonal roads. I have learned techniques that make picking the bike up much easier than the first lift. I have only dropped it a couple times.
No damage no injuries. I have fixed a flat trail side.
Note I’m not flying through the forest, my trail speed is but a crawl.
Usually between 10 & 50kph and that’s enough for me.
The sand around here is definitely challenging but I’m getting better.

This is nice! Where is this track? I'd like to try it. Do you need a permit?

Also, can someone share a route which includes this "ganny" that I've been hearing a lot about? Thank you!

So the videos were made by my riding buddy who bought the 2021 KTM 890 ADV.
He is the one that talked me into trying dirt again on my 1190. I am leading on my 2015 1190. These clips were in Northumberland forest.
Allen is running Dunlop mission trail max
Im running Conti TKC80 front and a TKC 70 Rocks rear.

Beware of the Ganny it’s very sandy. Speed is your best friend until it isn’t.
Northumberland is still pretty sandy but better.
Yes we suck. But we get a bit faster and a bit more confident each outing.
we are new to this and neither of us are young men. I’m 45 and Allen is OLDER.
We both mountain bike aggressively around 3 times a week and yes these big bike take a round out of you. You need to be fairly strong and reasonably fit.
btw I’m still pretty chunky 🤷‍♂️
Here is one more climbing to the look out. It’s more of a climb than it looks on the go pro honest.

Here is a mountain bike video of us. I’m the red light.
It was just getting dark enough that I probably should have had my lights on.
Sorry a little off topic. FYI this one weighs 28lbs

Thanks, I ll look it up

You'll need a pass (either annual or day pass) to ride the Ganny. $30 for the day.

I normally pick it up beforehand at the PetroCan on 35/115 just north of Orono, but you can also buy it online:

I think if you have an OFTR membership, you may be able to ride parts of the Ganny without a pass, someone will correct me on that, I'm sure.

You'll need a pass (either annual or day pass) to ride the Ganny. $30 for the day.

I normally pick it up beforehand at the PetroCan on 35/115 just north of Orono, but you can also buy it online:

I think if you have an OFTR membership, you may be able to ride parts of the Ganny without a pass, someone will correct me on that, I'm sure.
Thanks, I looked up their website. Their properties are closed (understably) for the season except for winter hunting.

So, the exploring will be done probably next season.

Thanks, I looked up their website. Their properties are closed (understably) for the season except for winter hunting.

So, the exploring will be done probably next season.
gonna do some real dirt on the v strom?

That can be a slippery slope 😉 one of our riding buddies came out on the trails with his Vstrom 650 and now it’s at GP and he is awaiting delivery of his new Triumph Tiger 900 rally pro.
curious how much a 21" wheel gives up on the road or the occasional spirited ride through the twisties

So many great adventure bikes that would fit me well, but it always seems like a huge sacrifice for the occasional dirt day

curious how much a 21" wheel gives up on the road or the occasional spirited ride through the twisties

So many great adventure bikes that would fit me well, but it always seems like a huge sacrifice for the occasional dirt day
Lol. A lot.

Can’t speak to the 21” but my 19” can hold its own. Imo
Now it was way more confident with the original Trail attack 2 street rubber over the tkc80 front tire I have now. The tkc80 also vibrates on the street a lot more.
just enough to remind you that it’s a knobby. But still capable enough to get way way way more spirited than anyone has any business doing on public roads.
I mean one “could“ ride Lake shore from Newcastle to Port Hope at 2 times the posted limit in full confidence if they so wished. 😉🤷‍♂️

Actually I rode the 890 on the street and couldn’t say anything bad about it’s handling. My biggest complaint would be power delivery. It had enough but just different. Once you’ve had 1190 VTwin pull the “little” 890 parallel twin Just didn’t do it for me down low. Didn’t mind the handling at all. I would love to ride the new 2022 1290 Asventure R.

Last edited:

Honestly? That depends on how fast you think you are in the first place. Do you honestly run around Ontario railing the non existent corners? Can you give up a little performance for alot of fun?
Honestly I'm not any faster on an r1 than most adv bikes...

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

In my opinion you'll give up nothing on the road, but that depends on how you want to ride. Like everybody else I love the winding roads we have and I ride faster than the limit, but I'm NOWHERE near the limits of traction or the limits or of my ability.

The differences between my 990 SMT and my 1090 ADV (both KTM, one 17" other 21") on road are subtle. The SMT with it's 17" front was certainly more responsive, but not enough to make much difference in pace on the road. But there is a different stance and feel to the 2 bikes while riding.

If track days are part of your equation then the choice is obvious.

You should try one out. It's possible you won't like it, but if you've ever looked down some trail or closed/unopened road and wondered what's down there then you'll open up a lot of fun riding possibilities.

A bike set up to be good off-road is going to be awful on pavement and vice versa. The adventure bikes are a middle ground, and you can argue whether that means best of both worlds (won't be true), or not good at anything (and that won't be true, either). Reminder once again. I'm a track-oriented pavement rider. I thought a BMW F800GS that I had as a rental, with whatever wheel and tire sizes they came with, was awful on pavement. The glowing journalist reviews of that bike are written as if pavement had never been invented.

In some cases ... it is possible to have two sets of wheels for the same bike, with different tires, and possibly even different sizes. I've seen it done. It can be done on a DRZ400, for example.

Everyone has to make their own judgment about how they are actually going to ride and how much of each.

Back
Top Bottom