ADV fad | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

ADV fad

I am surprised this bike was never brought up here.
Isn't it the representation of the real dual sport/adv in the STOCK form machine?
I am hoping to get it next year to have a "Perfect Bike" = x2 set. I know it has like 2hp but at least I know I can lift it up on the single track or hill comparing to my previous XR650 red pig...

R.de850a0216d2288baf9d4e338b4985dc

Looks good to me:
✔ <300 lbs wet weight
✔ >400 km tank range
✘ Good power for both hauling luggage, passing trucks on the interstate and putting a smile on your face
✔ Good ergos for highway and dirt
✔ Maintenance intervals measured in kms not hours
✔ Cheap to buy and maintain
You can mount luggage on that thing? What’s max weight including you??

How about this one?
I think I read suspension is better here but no "rally" version with bigger tank....
I am relatively noob on dirt anyway so CRF300L is still looks good to me at this point :)
and I am also 160lb on my best days so softness of the suspicion probably not as much noticeable as for somebody bigger (stronger lol)

2021-Kawasaki-KLX-300-Dual-Sport-dirt-bike-US-1.jpg
Depends on what you want. 80 dirt, 20 road,go Beta.20 dirt, 80 road go Kawi.

You can mount luggage on that thing? What’s max weight including you??
Noraly (Itchyboots) did in South Africa. The tail section broke in a rally ("rally" lol)

As lightcycle said, no such thing as a perfect bike, you have to know what you want, before you know what to get.

Motorcycles are toys, so its easy to get caught up in the excitement and daydreaming and fantasy, unless you live close to all the approved gnarly terrain or forests, I see no point in getting a dual sport tbh

Thats not to say its not 'doable'...but doable, and enjoyable arent the same things.

As lightcycle said, no such thing as a perfect bike, you have to know what you want, before you know what to get.

Motorcycles are toys, so its easy to get caught up in the excitement and daydreaming and fantasy, unless you live close to all the approved gnarly terrain or forests, I see no point in getting a dual sport tbh

Thats not to say its not 'doable'...but doable, and enjoyable arent the same things.
Exactly
the above posted bikes are grossly underpowered for what I want but my 1190 is grossly overweight for others.
Although I just got in from a quick little rip on the 1190 and if you need more sport bike than that you best be on a track. Even on knobby tkc80 that thing is way more sport bike than anyone should have on the street.

I know it’s biased but yup the KTM 1190 is the undisputed king of all bikes 😉

Exactly
the above posted bikes are grossly underpowered for what I want but my 1190 is grossly overweight for others.
Although I just got in from a quick little rip on the 1190 and if you need more sport bike than that you best be on a track. Even on knobby tkc80 that thing is way more sport bike than anyone should have on the street.

I know it’s biased but yup the KTM 1190 is the undisputed king of all bikes 😉
been trying to figure out whats going on with KTM, they havent shipped any 2020 or 2021 1290 Adventures to canada

Edit: nevermind:

Ganaraska is only 40min away from me, and I know there are so many single trails a bit more north where my future CRF300l Rally will take me to and back on a single tank of gas.
I hope I graduate one day to ride larger adv bikes on those single tracks. I envy all former dirt bike riders who can manage those 1290 in the dirt with ease, maybe me one day. I had XR650l before and took a dozen of full day Trail Tours courses and know that 300 is the right place to develop skills AND have fun without being scared to be squashed by 600lb monster :)

Ganaraska is only 40min away from me, and I know there are so many single trails a bit more north where my future CRF300l Rally will take me to and back on a single tank of gas.
I hope I graduate one day to ride larger adv bikes on those single tracks. I envy all former dirt bike riders who can manage those 1290 in the dirt with ease, maybe me one day. I had XR650l before and took a dozen of full day Trail Tours courses and know that 300 is the right place to develop skills AND have fun without being scared to be squashed by 600lb monster :)
I say forget the rally and just get a crf300L.

Less bulky. Less weight. Less to break when it falls over.

If you find you need the extra fuel, put a small rack on the tail and add a rotopax.

Still not enough? Add an Acerbis or IMS tank.

Want to rail corners or do trackdays on a go-kart track? Buy supermoto wheels.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

How about this one?
I think I read suspension is better here but no "rally" version with bigger tank....
I am relatively noob on dirt anyway so CRF300L is still looks good to me at this point :)
and I am also 160lb on my best days so softness of the suspicion probably not as much noticeable as for somebody bigger (stronger lol)

2021-Kawasaki-KLX-300-Dual-Sport-dirt-bike-US-1.jpg
I have a 2019 250KLX and really like it FWIW

I've got a 2008 wr250r/x

I lead group rides on it with my supermoto setup. In the tight stuff, I need to carry alot of speed, but I'm hard to catch.
f327d8f652dc18014745ea7295d6911f.jpg

20 minute wheel swap to the 21"F 18"R, it handles single track just fine. Not as light or powerful as an mx bike, but I make due.
9aa86d8588ba60636c41f1b36b89f4ae.jpg

I think your 650 was probably better off road than the 250/300 Rally will be.

I agree with Matt, get the 300L (or the KLX250) and add the stuff to suit your fancy.

I was very humbled when I took my X along with some of the group on proper gravel roads.

Totally out of my element in the Simcoe County forest near Wasaga where I bailed after 500m as it was beyond my capability and the ATVs told me no chance of me making it through.

Need to either:
- figure out proper technique on the X
- buy a proper off road bike to enjoy the forests near the cottage

Need to either:
- figure out proper technique on the X
- buy a proper off road bike to enjoy the forests near the cottage

There is definitely a learning curve. But your X I would think is more than capable of fire road and double track. When I brought home my 1190 I hit the gravel on a seasonal road and crashed. For two years I didn’t go on trails thinking it was to big of a bike. This is not true. Depending on what your expectations are.
I watched lots of you tube videos specific to Technique and ADV bikes.
Tried very hard to adapt And follow the tips and tricks given.
This year I started venturing Off-road with a buddy that bought a new 890 adv.
Neither of us have had previous dirt bikes.
I am no expert by any stretch. I am no Chris birch. But in 6 or so rides I can Ride across the Ganny, and Northumberland forests. I can confidently ride the rail trails and seasonal roads. I have learned techniques that make picking the bike up much easier than the first lift. I have only dropped it a couple times.
No damage no injuries. I have fixed a flat trail side.
Note I’m not flying through the forest, my trail speed is but a crawl.
Usually between 10 & 50kph and that’s enough for me.
The sand around here is definitely challenging but I’m getting better.

Very cool thanks for that @Clutt-225 . Is that your video?

What tires you running? I’m on 80/20 Shinko 705 and I’m sure it’s just a matter of getting used to it.

Got my X stuck in sand at Wasaga on the county forest trails and it literally dug down to half the rear wheel. The bike stood up on its own.

There is definitely a learning curve. But your X I would think is more than capable of fire road and double track. When I brought home my 1190 I hit the gravel on a seasonal road and crashed. For two years I didn’t go on trails thinking it was to big of a bike. This is not true. Depending on what your expectations are.
I watched lots of you tube videos specific to Technique and ADV bikes.
Tried very hard to adapt And follow the tips and tricks given.
This year I started venturing Off-road with a buddy that bought a new 890 adv.
Neither of us have had previous dirt bikes.
I am no expert by any stretch. I am no Chris birch. But in 6 or so rides I can Ride across the Ganny, and Northumberland forests. I can confidently ride the rail trails and seasonal roads. I have learned techniques that make picking the bike up much easier than the first lift. I have only dropped it a couple times.
No damage no injuries. I have fixed a flat trail side.
Note I’m not flying through the forest, my trail speed is but a crawl.
Usually between 10 & 50kph and that’s enough for me.
The sand around here is definitely challenging but I’m getting better.

Funny stuff. Heavy bikes plus ruts makes me pucker. At least it looked like he didn't get squished.

Back
Top Bottom