ADV fad | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

ADV fad

As a designer I appreciate form following function but sometimes bmw just does stupid stuff. Three buttons to operate the signals when everyone else uses one for example or one of my favorites was the folding key because it was in the wind on a headlight ear instead of out the wind where most others put it.
I quite liked the three button turn signals when I had them. Switching bikes afterwards was an ugly re-learning curve as the starter button was in the same location as the right turn signal.

I quite liked the three button turn signals when I had them. Switching bikes afterwards was an ugly re-learning curve as the starter button was in the same location as the right turn signal.
There you go. bmw brainwashing into thinking it was a good idea - it was not.

There you go. bmw brainwashing into thinking it was a good idea - it was not.
It was really nice to ride with the three button signals. Much nicer motion to touch a button instead of pushing a pulling a slider. Obviously not a deal-breaker either way as both work but I think I prefer the BMW way.

Looked at the other way, putting the starter button under your thumb is very valuable real-estate that is used once per ride and almost never while in motion. I prefer the approach where the starter is on top of the right controls. Still easily accessible but a more awkward reach. I can't find a picture but the design I like is a rotary kill switch and you push down on it to engage the starter.

It's the learning curve that is bad. I hated the turn signal switch on the Honda Rally. Beeping at every intersection. Grrr.
Germans are the worst for fixing things that aren't broken tho.

They're pretty good on the highway actually. Well over 300 lbs. though, and I wouldn't say cheap either.
Really the only impossible dream from the list is under 300 lbs.

FE501/EXC 500

However:

✔ <300 lbs wet weight
✘ >400 km tank range
✘ Good power for both hauling luggage, passing trucks on the interstate and putting a smile on your face
✘ Good ergos for highway and dirt
✘ Maintenance intervals measured in kms not hours
✘ Cheap to buy and maintain

My other bike is almost the complete opposite of the above list...

With all the electronic doodads and safety/emissions regulations, that wet weight is becoming a harder target to hit for manufacturers. Not that they're trying very hard, because as mentioned before, nobody is taking the ADV barges out in the dirt anyway.

I just found out the new Norden 901 is close to 500 lbs. More weight than the 890 Adventure R that it's based on! That's the *WRONG* direction!

KTM 690 with a rally tank? Not sure how it would be on the highway though.

There was a guy on here who had one, he was saying that he bought the 690 thinking it would have been that unicorn. He said it ended up being like all-season tires: sh!t in all conditions - still too heavy for trail riding *AND* still too uncomfortable and unstable for highways.

I just found out the new Norden 901 is close to 500 lbs. More weight than the 890 Adventure R that it's based on! That's the *WRONG* direction!
they want to make it more soft and roadworthy than the KTM bretheren

I remember very distinctly hearing about 2 versions, a more road going version with 19" wheels and an offroad version...
they seem to have changed their minds about that now.

There was a guy on here who had one, he was saying that he bought the 690 thinking it would have been that unicorn. He said it ended up being like all-season tires: sh!t in all conditions - still too heavy for trail riding *AND* still too uncomfortable and unstable for highways.
I wouldn't go that far, but true single track was not ANY fun. Highway riding was as tolerable as possible without wind protection and power wasn't an issue at all.

It was still a fun bike though but not the holy grail/unicorn.

My solution is a KTM1090R and this spring a 250/350 EXCR. Or if I decide to be honest with my 56 year old self - a WR250R.

It was still a fun bike though but not the holy grail/unicorn.
My solution is a KTM1090R and this spring a 250/350 EXCR. Or if I decide to be honest with my 56 year old self - a WR250R.

Yep. The Unicorn is having 2 or more bikes in the garage.

One to take home to meet mom, another one (or more) to get down and dirty with.

Are we still talking about motorcycles here?

Last edited:
Maybe hes just a tinkerer, some people need to tear everything apart and fix what isnt broken
Does it seem funny that so many tinkerers get drawn to Euro bikes?

My 2015 Ktm 1190 adventure
May I introduce the fat unicorn

>400 km tank range (and then some)
Good power for both hauling luggage, passing trucks on the interstate and putting a smile on your face (and then some)
Good ergos for highway and dirt (I think it’s fine)
Maintenance intervals measured in kms not hours (Yes)
Cheap to buy and maintain (relative but yes)
<300 lbs wet weight (no)

So it ticks all the boxes and outright excels at most except the under 300lbs.
Why is this so important. This weight is part of why it so good on the street.
I agree it no dirt bike but it is very capable of getting across a forest on the double track or some tame single track. Over this summer I have passed lots of ATV riders on trails and even more cars on the roads. It’s so capable in so many scenarios. I guess that’s why people just have to hate when your on top. 😉

Yep. The Unicorn is having 2 or more bikes in the garage.

One to take home to meet mom, another one (or more) to get down and dirty with.

Are we still talking about motorcycles here?
Good comparison
If you find someone that does everything you could ever want.
Cooks, Cleans, runs the kids all over.
Take home to mom, live with for years with no drama, let’s you have multiple hobbies, great between the sheets.
Do you pass because she’s heavier than your high school fling that was high maintenance and bat **** crazy 🤷‍♂️
I think not

Although it’s much easier to keep two motorcyclues from fighting each other.

Good comparison
If you find someone that does everything you could ever want.
Cooks, Cleans, runs the kids all over.
Take home to mom, live with for years with no drama, let’s you have multiple hobbies, great between the sheets.
Do you pass because she’s heavier than your high school fling that was high maintenance and bat **** crazy 🤷‍♂️
I think not

Although it’s much easier to keep two motorcyclues from fighting each other.

Yes.

that's a sweet looking super duke but where was the 'off road'?
better than I can ride but all I saw was a few u turns and little skids.

I am surprised this bike was never brought up here.
Isn't it the representation of the real dual sport/adv in the STOCK form machine?
I am hoping to get it next year to have a "Perfect Bike" = x2 set. I know it has like 2hp but at least I know I can lift it up on the single track or hill comparing to my previous XR650 red pig...

R.de850a0216d2288baf9d4e338b4985dc

Looks good to me:
✔ <300 lbs wet weight
✔ >400 km tank range
✘ Good power for both hauling luggage, passing trucks on the interstate and putting a smile on your face
✔ Good ergos for highway and dirt
✔ Maintenance intervals measured in kms not hours
✔ Cheap to buy and maintain

Last edited:
I am surprised this bike was never brought up here.
Isn't it the representation of the real dual sport/adv in the STOCK form machine?
I am hoping to get it next year to have a "Perfect Bike" = x2 set. I know it has like 2hp but at least I know I can lift it up on the single track or hill comparing to my previous XR650 red pig...

R.de850a0216d2288baf9d4e338b4985dc
Isn't that what @Wingboy had for a brief period? He didn't have a lot of good things to say about it. IIRC his opinion was it was full of the bad from both camps with not enough of the good from either camp.

Isn't that what @Wingboy had for a brief period? He didn't have a lot of good things to say about it. IIRC his opinion was it was full of the bad from both camps with not enough of the good from either camp.
Great bike for a noob. Rear suspension was the worst point. It's a perfect example of "one size fits none".
WFO is fun, but not 100% of the time.

How about this one?
I think I read suspension is better here but no "rally" version with bigger tank....
I am relatively noob on dirt anyway so CRF300L is still looks good to me at this point :)
and I am also 160lb on my best days so softness of the suspicion probably not as much noticeable as for somebody bigger (stronger lol)

2021-Kawasaki-KLX-300-Dual-Sport-dirt-bike-US-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom