Adios! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Adios!

nakkers

Site Supporter
Well gang, I’m out of motorcycling indefinitely. Could return sometime down the road and not making any bold predictions about the future.

So I’m going the old man route and picked up MGB to bomb around the country side with my wife and don’t have to gear up. Will miss leaning but will still have some wind my hair.

Still will visit the site to keep informed on things motorcycle related and beyond.

c85fecd57cb1e63a5bfc49fe2cb03d67.jpg
32fc885eff9f56f58c263259ddb42b75.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What??
Uhm, did you sell the HD and the Buell?
And why??

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

72/73? I like it. Enjoy and get CAA premium. I've worked on a lot of them LOL

Sorry to see you go. A british soft top was on my short list the last time I bought a toy car. Yours looks nice, I hope it gives you many happy years. Based on the dash, that one seems relatively new.

I hated the 80's dash in the mini so it got pulled out right after purchase. I may get around to installing a proper centre speedo, but meh. All you really need is a tach, oil pressure, oil temp and coolant temp.

Last edited:
It’s a 79 with chrome bumper conversion. Will likely change out the steering wheel to something with wood.

Just like bikes, winter means tinker time.

Not my favourite year but, this one has been done up well.

CAA has served me well over the years and lots of support around. The previous owner can’t drive anymore and enjoyed making a new friend in the Brit car world.

My wife wasn’t enjoying the bikes and I needed a change that would involve her some more.

I’m not ready to get a 800 lb touring rig,

It’s easy to just jump in and go with a car.

Just kind of happened. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That car is beautiful! Wishing you all the best with it!

My wife wasn’t enjoying the bikes and I needed a change that would involve her some more.

Sounds like exactly what happened to us with our Jetskis 3-4 years back. Just weren't using them much anymore, wife was losing interest as it was an all day commitment to get to water, get ON the water, ride..and then reverse everything to get back home.

Got back into riding, wife rode 2 up for a grand total of about 30 days before she wanted her own bike, and the rest is history.

Enjoy the new ride. I know a few friends who also got out of riding and bought other toys...and came back eventually. ;)

Nice. We'll be seeing you at the side of the road :lol: Remember, every trip is a risky one with one of those. Bring the Morris shop manual. Even if it means ditching the wife. Don't leave home without it.

It’s a 79 with chrome bumper conversion. Will likely change out the steering wheel to something with wood.

That's what threw me on the year, chrome bumper conversion... it was 72 1/2, 73? when they had to go to the big rubber black bumpers because the car needed to meet Canadian regs. The rubber bumper mix sort of spoiled the lines of the car.
Good part is, every component is available in NOS or reproduction. And being essentially a 'mechanical car' without a lot of hard to diagnosis electronics they are easy enough to tinker with. I love them, she looks great.

Don't forget she's 40 yrs old and wont like going as hard as she did at 18.....

PP,

Wife has zero interest in riding herself. I tried. I had friends offer up their touring rig and take her for a ride as some good riding requires some highway. Just never took to it.

I’ve got other personal reasons to taking a break. Let’s just say I’ve lost confidence in others.

CC,

I figure we’ll get out more than we did on the bike but, it will be a fair weather ride and likely the same kind of trips. Country road touring.

But, I’ve got no illusions about what I’ve got myself into. It’s no MX5/Miata. It will need some TLC from time to time. The Harley slowed me down enough to just enjoy the breeze in MGB so, I won’t be tearing up the asphalt. It does cruise very well at 65/70 MPH at 3100 RPM.

DJM,

Thank you. I appreciate everything you’ve done to help me with my Sporty.

All,

The car was done up by an 85 year old fella in Hamilton. All kinds of stories past and present. Salt of the earth kind of people.

He spent a lot of time making it a clean example and had no intention of selling. He lost his licence for health reasons. His son in law took his 70 MG Midget and had no one to leave his pride and joy with. He couldn’t let it sit and waste away. Build it to be driven and enjoyed. We had a conversation and a deal was struck.

It is one of the cleanest and straightest examples I’ve come across that didn’t cost an arm and a leg. I really got an unexpected deal. I’ve looked at a few and many know they can’t get what they put into them. It’s not original or a show car. Many are asking for $10k or so for original and recently restored.

While everything is fresh, it still drives like a vehicle from the 70s/80s. And I love it. We’ll see if I still feel the same way when I have to call CAA. Lol.

Lastly, the rubber bumpers were introduced in 1975. It’s a straight forward job to convert to chrome bumpers if you have the money for a grill, bumpers, and lower front sill. Looks better IMO but, then it’s not original. And that can be a draw back to the purist. Me? Happy as a clam. Lol

Last edited:
You can still lean. Watch some of the cagers getting on/off ramps, they lean. You can pretend. Enjoy the MGB. Beautiful car.

I wouldn't do any conversions on that car beyond swapping out any remaining Lucas electricals. You'll ruin and unbalance what appears to be a sweet, simple, elemental little car.

It looks like it'd be a hoot to go on day trips with the wife.

Although I think I'd feel less safe in that car than I would on a bike there's something to be said for the purity of open-air travel in a tiny car. Here's hoping you have many joyful miles in the little MG.

(P.S. Did you get it up on a hoist and inspected for corrosion? Some restos can look pretty damn good but the car suffered early in its life from salty roads and no rust protection...)

I wouldn't do any conversions on that car beyond swapping out any remaining Lucas electricals. You'll ruin and unbalance what appears to be a sweet, simple, elemental little car.

It looks like it'd be a hoot to go on day trips with the wife.

Although I think I'd feel less safe in that car than I would on a bike there's something to be said for the purity of open-air travel in a tiny car. Here's hoping you have many joyful miles in the little MG.

(P.S. Did you get it up on a hoist and inspected for corrosion? Some restos can look pretty damn good but the car suffered early in its life from salty roads and no rust protection...)

My wife wasn’t comfortable being so low. Felt unsafe. We talked about it and while it’s low, motorcycles appear to be invisible to others. I think with the colour of this car and being the size that it is, we’ll get noticed.

While there are some that have the know how or the cash to have someone perform an engine swap or slap on a supercharger or turbo on a small car like this, it’s not in the cards for us.

The restoration is well documented with lots of pics. It’s the cleanest MGB I’ve come across. The undercarriage spotless and clean with no visible repairs.

The door sills, rear quarters were replaced with new metal. New front fenders. Professionally prepped and painted.

I spent half a day with the owner taking pride in showing me everything in the car. He even installed a switch for the battery to disconnect it without removing it and a lead for the trickle charger.

The hood has gas struts where stock is usually a sliding lock prop. He didn’t like the prop because many attempt to close the hood and bend it, cracking the paint and warping the hood itself.

He installed a pioneer head unit to play his favourite country music that he has on a memory stick. It’s also got Uconnect/Bluetooth for hands free communication.

He’s the kind of fella that has the right tool for every job, an immaculate garage, and always keeping busy doing some kind of project.

Also a very charming story teller that has offered to share whatever knowledge he can to make the ownership experience a great one for myself. Told me if I run into any issues with the carb or having trouble with anything, he’ll be happy to help out.

Not feel safe? they painted it safety chrome yellow! I checked google earth, you can see that car in Nakkers driveway from space.

Let me be first to suggest a mod for that MGB. Truck lite led headlights,the Lucas charging system will reward you for this.

Back
Top Bottom