Adding a driver | GTAMotorcycle.com

Adding a driver

250 Matt

hello. My girlfriend got her m1 today (look out!) and insurance wants an extra 800 bucks to put her on... That is75% more than by myself for a part time. if we wait until she has her m2, will it be that much cheaper or do we need to wait a year for it to be reasonable?
It's with jevco if it matters.

hello. My girlfriend got her m1 today (look out!) and insurance wants an extra 800 bucks to put her on... That is75% more than by myself for a part time. if we wait until she has her m2, will it be that much cheaper or do we need to wait a year for it to be reasonable?
It's with jevco if it matters.

m2 and whats her age?

I would just ask your broker. I'm guessing that Jevco's policy is to assign the highest-rated operator as the principal (which is why you are seeing the big rate increase).

When I told my broker that my girlfriend just got her M1 (who had less riding experience, and was much younger), they told me that only one name can go on the policy, so I should just keep it in my name to be cheaper, and just let her ride it. I'm not sure if this was on the up and up but it was coming from a broker.

When I told my broker that my girlfriend just got her M1 (who had less riding experience, and was much younger), they told me that only one name can go on the policy, so I should just keep it in my name to be cheaper, and just let her ride it. I'm not sure if this was on the up and up but it was coming from a broker.

The insurance company must be made aware of all people in the household with a car/motorcycle license. I don't know the context of the conversation with your broker, but it sounds less than correct.

The insurance company must be made aware of all people in the household with a car/motorcycle license. I don't know the context of the conversation with your broker, but it sounds less than correct.

Are we assuming co-habitation? If she lives elsewhere does she have to be named if she is only an occasional rider?

If she has her own place you might be OK but don't forget to change your insurance if that situation changes.

We do live together... which is where the problem is I think. If we didn't live together it wouldn't be a problem but since we do I am trying to find out... If she does get it, doesn't drive it, and we "forget to mention" ;) that she has it, next year when we put her on she will have had it a year and it would be cheaper. Probably not the best idea to let her drive it without the company knowing she got it? if anything happens, the bike is still insured like I was lending it to anybody else....

We do live together... which is where the problem is I think. If we didn't live together it wouldn't be a problem but since we do I am trying to find out... If she does get it, doesn't drive it, and we "forget to mention" ;) that she has it, next year when we put her on she will have had it a year and it would be cheaper. Probably not the best idea to let her drive it without the company knowing she got it? if anything happens, the bike is still insured like I was lending it to anybody else....

You have to let your insurer know of any and all operators in the household. If you don't and your gf crashes, you could be in trouble.

Is she going to be riding the bike?

If not, you can have her explicitly excluded from your policy, this will remove the rate hike associated with her lack of experience.

I would just ask your broker. I'm guessing that Jevco's policy is to assign the highest-rated operator as the principal (which is why you are seeing the big rate increase).

What Viffer is saying is correct. Jevco will rate for the highest rated driver.
They will be considered primary even if they are occasional.

Back
Top Bottom