accident claims process, please clarify | GTAMotorcycle.com

accident claims process, please clarify

Taras

Hello,
Maybe someone could clarify the situation for me.
I have gotten into a minor parking lot accident while driving a rental car in Quebec.
I have declined the Damage Waiver at the time of renting the car, my motorcycle insurance extends to the rentals.
I was reversing on a parking lot entrance, while the other guy was going around me. The damage on the rental are minor-some paint scratches, the damage on the other car a more significant - a dent and scratch.

He called the police, we waited, they came and wrote a report. I haven't seen it, just got the file number. No ticket or anything, policeman didn't say who was at fault.

So, in any case - if I cover the rental damage out of pocket without making claim (my deductible would probably be greater), should I be concerned about the other guy's car or any claims that he'll make? How does this process work? If either of us is found at fault, does the insurance of the no-fault driver claims $$$ from the company of the at-fault driver?
Never have been in this situation. Would appreciate some clarifications.

I suggest you send a PM to Platinum_Cycle and see if he will respond to your thread. He knows this stuff really well.

Quebec is very similar to Ontario with regards to no-fault.

This is a hard question to answer. I need to know why you were renting a car. Was it a "Temporary Substitute Vehicle" for what kind of car and or bike you insure? Or, was it just a car that you rented? And, depending on whether you have full coverage on your own vehicle will impact what coverages are available for the rental vehicle. Whether you have an OPCF 27 endorsement on your own policy will also impact what coverage may be available for the rental.

Let me make it even more complicated. Did you rent with a credit card that provides coverage for rental vehicles.

Like everything in this industry nothing is black and white and depends on a ton of variables.

As Viffer said, send me a PM with you phone number and I will call you back to get all the details and give you my professional opinion.

Thank you for your reply. Ive sent you a PM.
-I insure Suzuki 500 bike. My bike has a full coverage, with OPCF27 endorsement on my policy, with $1k deductible for collisions. It was just a car that I rented for the weekend.
-I used a credit card, but it does not have any coverage for rentals.
-All enterprise rentals come with mandatory liability insurance, and voluntary damage waiver (which I have not purchased, stupid of me).
-The damage on the rental was purely cosmetic - chipped paint on the right side of the rear bumper a size of a toonie, and a few scratches. If it was my car, I would not even bother to fix it, there were no cracks or dent on the bumper. ive heard horror stories that enterprise always inflates the damage. I took the pictures of the bumper in case i need to go to court or smth.

So I dont know what to expect now. I reported the damage to enterprise when I have dropped off the vehicle. The guy filled out a damage report, took down police report # and said to wait to heard from their damage recovery unit.

I know I am quite screwed at this point, but just want to know how to minimize the damage.
Thanks again.

Quebec is very similar to Ontario with regards to no-fault.

This is a hard question to answer. I need to know why you were renting a car. Was it a "Temporary Substitute Vehicle" for what kind of car and or bike you insure? Or, was it just a car that you rented? And, depending on whether you have full coverage on your own vehicle will impact what coverages are available for the rental vehicle. Whether you have an OPCF 27 endorsement on your own policy will also impact what coverage may be available for the rental.

Let me make it even more complicated. Did you rent with a credit card that provides coverage for rental vehicles.

Like everything in this industry nothing is black and white and depends on a ton of variables.

As Viffer said, send me a PM with you phone number and I will call you back to get all the details and give you my professional opinion.

Back
Top Bottom