A sobering experience. | GTAMotorcycle.com

A sobering experience.

Anubis

Hi.

Just a little story I wanted to share. This past weekend I took the Gearing Up course to move to M2 status at Humber College North Campus. Great weekend and even better group of instructors. The final testing though had a very unfortunate incident.

In the second part of 8 tests that were being administered, Lino, a guy who had been part of my smaller group all weekend had an unfortunate accident. The test involved a curve you have to take at speed as you are timed within the curve. Unfortunately nerves got the best of him and as he came to the curve he said he panicked and grabbed the front brake. Only moving at about 20-25 km and the bike still just buckled, went over and landed on his leg in an awkward manner, breaking his ankle.

Being new to riding the moment was very sobering for me. I was 50 ft. away and that is the first crash I have actually seen. Admittedly I was shaken by the whole incident but managed to continue on through rest of the testing. I hope Lino doesn't lose the zest he had for riding before this incident. He is a good guy.

The reality is no matter where we are and how well trained we might be, anything can happen in a split second.

Happy and safe riding to ALL.

The reality is no matter where we are and how well trained we might be, anything can happen in a split second.

I think the real lesson is what can happen when you lack experience and good judgement on a motorcycle.

You passed your test, now starts the real learning.

I think the real lesson is what can happen when you lack experience and good judgement on a motorcycle.

You passed your test, now starts the real learning.

Absolutely agree!!

Dont let it scare you either. Glad it is only a broken ankle.

But now you understand why we avocate safety and skill building. He prob just let his nerves get the better of him and lost his confidence.

That's crappy.

Im going for my M2 soon. Does anyone have a link to a site that explains exactly what you're tested on? I need to practise.

That's crappy.

Im going for my M2 soon. Does anyone have a link to a site that explains exactly what you're tested on? I need to practise.

Stopping on a curve, accelerating on a curve. Emergency breaking and emergency stopping. All in a controlled manner.
Those are the main ones.

Dont let it get to you, just keep it in the back of your head as a reminder.
When i was doing my course back in the day it was pouring all weekend long. One rider ran over a sewer cover while turning and broke their collar bone on the spot...

Me and the guy that hit me from behind on his minivan don't agree with your statememnt

Last edited:
That's crappy.

You will have lots of opportunity before the testing to practice with your instructors on your 2 days of riding training. If you are unsure of something or don't understand be absolutely sure to ask. Don't shy away from asking anything because you think you will be centered out. They are their to guide and teach you. Most importantly have fun!!

Yes, something to be feared most definitely. Ppl often forget that they're operating heavy machinery that can hurt them if mishandled, or even disrespected....

But don't let it discourage you. Embrace it and respect every ride...

Back in the early 90s I took the entry course at Humber's North Campus, and a guy sent his bike off into the wall while trying to complete this same test. I had seen this coming, but was glad he wasn't hurt. From my perspective, this guy was in the wrong place and the wrong time. If I were an instructor, I wouldn't feel comfortable sending him out into the real world on a bike, but maybe he should keep the helmet on anyway.

Truth of the matter is, we take a risk just waking up in the morning. We take a higher risk when getting onto a motorcycle without a surrounding bubble to keep the world away. Like Cat said, advocate safety and skill building...these are important steps to becoming a better, and more safe rider.
Always be aware of your surroundings and understand what you can control and what you can't.

Like zx600...Sometimes, you just can't do anything about the idiot that smacked you from behind, however, we can control not weaving in and out of traffic thereby making us even more invisible to cagers.

Ride safe, don't let it shake you too much, Rubber side down, shiny side up...

*squishy hugs*

On my course a couple of years ago at Sheridan, during the first day training for that same maneuver, we had a student end up doing the same thing but fortunately without broken bones just lots of bruises. But he totally lost his nerve after that and was never able to get up to the minimum speeds required to pass the M2 test .
Hopefully he went back later when his confidence returns.

I'm not one of those that believe everyone is capable of riding a motorcycle.

Look at it this way ... he did that in a parking lot ... had he done it on the street, he could have been rolled over by the Mack truck behind him...

Crashing appears to be quite common, we had a lady pull a wheelie in ours by pannicking and pulling back on the bars and lots of throttle, dumping the clutch on a gear change. She did not complete the course and was injured, I think she blew out her knee

I dropped my bike albiet at a near stop and a momentary lapse in focus, no injury but my pride.

similar thing happened when i did mine, one guy wiped out on that same drill and another lady was incapable of understanding that 2 wheels doesn't balance itself at a stand-still, she ended up dropping this bike 7 or 8 times before she threw in the towel.

oh and some retard with a brand new arai corsair v kept kicking his helmet around on the ground :mad: that helmets freaking expensive...

Last edited:
i had a lady dump her bike just before the test practice the accelerating through a curve. she was doing fine except she braked too early before she straightened up so she was still leaned over and touched the front brakes. once that happened the bike just collasped.

she ended up passing the test but i would never ride with her.

That's crappy.

Don't sweat it.. that's what the entire weekend is.. PRACTICE!

you'll be practicing what you do in the test over, and over, and over, and over again.

Sure some people don't get it so fast, and some fail, but 95% of people pass it no prob.

Back
Top Bottom